S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI

Advert

Hi Danny, I have looked at mine and walked away, still thinking of how to get over it , I would not be happy having one side different to the other. I found when I put part of the rigging on it did really firm up the wings which without it they were very flexible.

Cheers Eric.

The end result must be all wing panels at the same incidence.

It appears on mine the top wing on the port side is about 3mm further forwards than the starboard. Hence the struts on that side reach further forwards. As long as the incidences are the same the slight discrepency ( not visible i might add) wont matter.

Good luck

Thanks Jose, i am very pleased as had been really worried about this part. And have never tackled real rigging before.

Up until yesterday I would never do another functionally rigged model again, however get the struts right, and the structure gets incredibly rigid!

I have Duncan Hutson Se5 at just under 1/4 scale, will look forward to it now.

Cheers

Danny

Took the Fury out into the garden, the the lawn is really in need of water, but took some piccys in the sunshine. Must say that is one of the wonderful things about tissue and dope, direct sunlight has no effect If it had been film I am not sure it would have kept its wrinkle free finish.

anyway the model will not go in my Mondeo rigged, but take two panels off and it will

The wires are easily slackened and one end removed, just slacken the screws, you still have to be careful not to undo them to far and drop them!

It took 30 minutes to take all 4 wing panels off, to enable me to carry the parts back upstairs. however 25 of those was trying to find a dropped fork end!!!

618.jpg

619.jpg

inch and a half prop clearance....

621.jpg

624.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Posted by Geoff Gardiner on 01/06/2020 17:06:44:

That's looking rather splendid Danny.

Could you give me a pointer to the silver solder and flux you use (there seems to be different types available).

I have just acquired a SLEC Stampe kit which will need wires making up.

Geoff...

If I may? Mick Reeves has the solder and the flux and they work well.

Gorgeous looking model Danny yes

Thanks John, Geoff, Chris and Manish. Model has suddenly come to life, really enjoying this stage.

Though i hate spraying silver, first time with Klass Kote fingers crossed.

I believe the silver solder is no1 or no2 and the flux must match, but i may have remembered that wrong. The stuff I am using as Manish says is from Mick Reeves, he only lists one type.

Usually you mix the flux to a paste, wetting the end with your tongue and dipping saves a lot of waste.

I always wanted one of those Stampes, never got around to one.

Cheers

Danny

It looks great Danny, very sleek You can tell it's electric, no exhaust s . That has taken the Mondeo of my list of cars. I am going to try the Fury in mine again with the under cart off, as I don't like the thought of de-rigging it every time I want to go flying.

Cheers Eric.

Eric, I found the discrepancy in my wings, the rear wing joining rod was a couple of mm too long so the wing was not seating root-rib to root-rib, pivoting the wing forward very slightly. I took 1mm off the rear rod and this has brought the wing panel in alignment right across the top wing tip to tip. I hope it doesn't mean I have to make a new un-modified strut But if I do so be it. I have a nicer wing gap so no real issue.

I am not sure if you can make out the trailing edge gap in the previous shots? but this is how it is now.

628.jpg

Much better

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny, it is a relief to find the answer to the problem. You will probably have to make the strut to plan as I said I was not comfortable with odd struts. I made the rest of my rigging wires my method with high melting point soft solder, and rigged it all up using the wires to pull the wings into the struts and after checking I am happy with it. One of the wings had a slight twist in it and this was taken out with the rigging.

Cheers Eric.

So I sanded down the radiator and added some red stopper, sanded that down, and then prepped for paint.

Apart from a quick play with the top wing centre section underside, this will be my first go with Klass Kote. The CS didn't count because the prep was poor. Still came out okay, and I could tell the paint had potential.

Anyway sprayed the undercart trailing arms first and it went on really well, I mean really well. A combination of a great paint, and my Iwaata HP2 was perfect.

651.jpg

Then came the radiator....

649.jpg

650.jpg

I am really pleased with that, not perfect but pretty close

I am going to look forward to spraying this, and in fact my next project which is also silver........

Cheers

Danny