Laser fly in at national centre?

Advert

1 hour ago, David Davis said:

If I'm in England at the time and if I haven't set fire to the rest of my Laser powered models, I will be there! ?

Why are they on fire?! 

Chris, i doubt a Hurricane can catch a 190...but you wont out run my bullets ?

51 minutes ago, kc said:

Jon, please note that David Davis suffered a loss of planes due to a fire - mentioned elesewhere.

It seems all the Laser users want a fly in but who would organise it and pay for exclusive use of Buckminster?

Ah i missed that. Uncommon but i have nearly lost one due to a methanol fire and a former club mate lost all of his planes in a house fire. Not nice at all. 

As for the cost, i have no idea what the cost is to hire the place so cant really speak on that front. This is more the thinking out loud stage of the whole thing. 

Full details here Jon. https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/47237-charging-lipos-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way-and-how-the-big-guff-met-its-end/#comments

I had left a 2200 3S lipo unsupervised, it exploded setting fire to the Big Guff  which then set fire to my WOT 4XL. Strangely enough these were the only Laser powered models in my collection at the time; in flying condition that is. They're not in flying condition any more!

DD thats awful but lucky you didnt loose more. I had a rebuild a 120 for a guy who set half the house alight with a lipo fire. Scary stuff. 

Steve, my la7 is the same size and from the YT/ESM kit. Its going to be 11 years old next month and is currently home to an SC 400 radial as i need to put the blasted thing to use for 5 minutes before it self destructs again

So we dont get off track i will PM you Steve

On this fly in business, an informant has told me that renting out the whole place at buckminster is £250 if we assume a one day event. If we have 50 people show up that is only 5 quid a head. 

Would that put people off? is 50 attendees overly optimistic? 

In any case, i would like to stick with an informal fly in style. Im not trying to host a mini weston park so its likely to be packed lunches for all. Unless there is a major move to do something else? 

40 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

I’ve no objection to paying for the privilege.

Just a thought, do you want to keep it strictly to a Laser only day or make it more open by also having a Warbird’s Replicas fly-in, turning it into a Brit manufacturing day?

Not opposed to the principal and its a good idea, its just where we draw the line. Would we also invite anyone with a Chris Foss design, a PAW Diesel, Mick Reeves model or a Wren Turbine? before long it would turn into a bit of a free for all. 

We also need to make sure everyone gets a decent amount of stick time as its a long way to go just to watch and if we are trying to keep similar models mostly together folk may end up waiting around. 

Not saying no, just considering the scope of the whole thing. 

IMHO I think it says what it is in the title, Laser Fly-in.

From experience of visiting other clubs and Buckminster where I stopped flying due to large 3D models either prop hanging in front of the flight line or revving the nuts off a large 2 stroke behind the flight line for the entire 8 minute flite was not conducive to a pleasant experience.

Laser engines are a bit niche as they range from 50 to 300 size and built in o general type of model that suits its owners. Ok I have a 180 in a Yak which is capable of 3D/prop hanging, but I would respect others wishing to fly their models scale or circuits.

What if we let other IC attend, where do you draw the line? 4 strokes only, by capacity, no electric. Balsa built up only or foam veneer wings ok?

Back to Jon’s point and I like the idea of an informal event, okay a bit of guidance to say slots for various size/types of models but that’s about all.

PS - The more complicated this is made the more people it will need to administer the event, volunteers anyone?

• Like 1

Something new to ponder. 

I mentioned this idea to the boss and he came up with a surprisingly good idea. What if your entry fee also bought you a raffle ticket? Not sure exactly what the prizes would be, but it was suggested the top prize could be an engine. Not sure about other prizes, perhaps fuel? We all need fuel after all. 

Food for thought, nothing set in stone. 

10 minutes ago, Steve Dunne said:

Keen to join in as a "Laser engined" meet - it is a special engine worthy of its own festival!

Would like to see peoples intentions as to what model they might fly at the meet, a little time before the event, so that we can bring complementary models.

Good idea on the complimentary models but it works both ways. I am happy to see the wide range of models being flown with our engines, but equally if we have our massed 1/4 scale tigermoth/similar models formation idea then we do need a mass of them in order to do it. 

My vague idea is splitting the hour into maybe 5 slots? each for a different style of model. That way we all get a fly and dont have to wait around all day, but equally we dont get slow flying models fighting for space with faster ones. 

Im happy to be guided by the masses though. If a free for all with minimal scheduling is deemed a better bet then we can go with that and do things more informally. Running up the flightline yelling 'ready your tiger moths! 10 minutes to massed formation slot' is always an option. 

1 hour ago, Andy Stephenson said:

I would be interested if isn't to be dominated by scale warbirds.

Andy.

While I suspect warbirds will be in abundance, they will not be to the exclusion of everything else. 

If the general feeling is that slots are the way to go then we can probably fit 4 or 5 slots an hour? Sport/aerobatic models, slow scale and vintage, Faster scale models like WWII...dont know, we can decide that later down the track. 

The whole idea is that everyone can bring any model and get it in the air. However, allowances will have to be made so that everyone gets a turn so if you dont have a warbird or aerobatic model, it stands to reason you would have to sit out those slots. Equally, i cant thrash my seafury around during the vintage/slow flying slots. There will probably be a few solo slots through the day as well as the various 'formation' flights we might try so there would be some sitting and watching going on if you are not involved in those slots. 

However, the whole idea is that the flying on show would be sufficient to entertain those not in the air at the time. 

Out of idle curiosity, how come you dont like the warbirds? or was it just a worry that it will be wall to wall spitfires and nothing else?

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines