Mystery Kit, Any ideas??

Hello to all,

So!,  I have been given this kit which I would say is relatively untouched until I unpacked the box.  The previous owner has no idea what kit it is nor what happened to the original plans or instructions.  The photos show a layout of all the parts in the box.  All are numbered.  The box is a plain grey cardboard box with nothing which might identify the contents.

The wings are 30" span per panel and have a tube installed for a braided cable aileron linkage.  This suggests it is a  certain vintage.  They are tapered at LE and TE and a semi symmetrical section

IMG_0190a.thumb.jpg.15963fceceecc0a38d2e094d0d56a81f.jpg

IMG_0189a.thumb.jpg.50b3c0134e18ae9abb2f583472506ee8.jpg

There is no sheet or strip in the box so perhaps a semi kit where the builder provided the additional wood needed?

IMG_0182a.thumb.jpg.496a7177fecc506a5da38022ef19fc4a.jpg

Is that the rudder over on the right?? Is part 26 some form of an under fus strake?  The formers say a boxy flat bottomed fuselage with a semi circular tip deck.

The hardware says tailwheel u/cIMG_0191.thumb.jpg.c136056e56e2c51909bad46fa0095af5.jpg

IMG_0187a.thumb.jpg.0d15dad0a558f54c2cb88d9827653249.jpg

Does anyone recognise the format or contents of the box and can make a suggestion of what its parentage might be.

Regards to all

Stu K

IMG_0183a.jpg

IMG_0184a.jpg

Advert

Thanks for the thoughts Keith.  I have been an r/c flier for 50 years but it has me stumped.  My best guess was the Bowman's Miles Magister but from memory that was 85 inch span.  Unique Models did plan packs but I only have vague memories of what was in the range.  I was hoping that someone would recognise it.

Thanks anyway

regards

stu k

As there are no engine bulkhead or fuselage sides it would appear somone has started the fuselage and given up. 

Unless you find the exact plan the only thing left is to use the wings and design a fuselage to fit!   Maybe the main formers could be used too.  By placing the rear deck formers in line you might be able to juggle them around and find the fuselage shape and length. 

Several interesting and unusual things that might give a clue to origin are

7A and 7C do not have any holes to allow pushrods etc to go through - it's very unusual to have no apertures in precut formers.

29 and 30A suggest it has an airfoil shaped tailplane.

36 could be half an elevator which gives a clue to the shape.

5 and 7 seem to be slightly recessed for a ply doubler which seems missing.

rear  formers don't have any notches for stringers, suggesting 1/64 ply may have been rolled around them for decking.

It must have been a full kit as it has numerous small cut parts plus tank and wheels, so you shouldn't look for a semi kit.

All in all suggests to me someone made two left or two right fuselage sides, realised the error and gave up!

Edited by kc

The fin is that of a Miles Magister, part 36 looks like a Magister elevator, the fuselage formers and wing tips also Magister. the Miles Hawk speed 6 has two piece wings Magister wings no centre section but the fin is different. Bowman's Magister had a 3 piece wing so it could be part of a Magister kit with the centre section missing which would put it up to the 85" span. 

Edited by Eric Robson
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

The fin is that of a Miles Magister, part 36 looks like a Magister elevator, the fuselage formers and wing tips also Magister. the Miles Hawk speed 6 has two piece wings Magister wings no centre section but the fin is different. Bowman's Magister had a 3 piece wing so it could be part of a Magister kit with the centre section missing which would put it up to the 85" span. 

I have been looking on and off at these bits since Stu posted the photos and I am convinced that it is something to do with a Bowmans Magister with much sheet and strip and other parts missing. Having had a Bowman's Magister, the fin screamed out Bowman's Magister to me as did the former shapes as soon as I saw them. The outer wing panels of the Bowman Magister had those long bits of Bowden outer sticking out because they then went to the middle of the centre section that was 18 or 20 inches wide, which as you say would make the overall span correct for the same model. On the Bowman Magister all the lower formers behind the wing were built up from strip - as were the horizontal stab and elevators (built up from strip). The rudder however was built up from a central core of 1/8" and the part marked 26 in the photos appears to be the same as the rear vertical part of the rudder (which was part R3). But the part numbers stamped on the pieces in the photos do not match the Bowmans part numbers on my original instructions ...... is it possible Bowmans (or somebody else) reissued the kit with sheet elevators and a different parts numbering system????

Again, thank you all or the thoughts and suggestions.

I don't think that this is a robbed kit.  My reasons for saying that is that there isn't the space in the box for a centre section of the wing for example and when I opened the box, all of the parts were in separate sealed bags, All the ply parts on one bag, all the small balsa parts in another.  All of the contents were still wrapped in fairly pristine sheets of tissue which just screamed that it hadn't been molested since someone packed them in there in the first place.  It might have been possible to take out any sheet balsa if it had been packed in the side of the box but, on opening the box for the first time it definitely gave the impression of never having been disturbed.

I think that 7C is the firewall - its quite robust ply.

I think that it destined to remain a mystery and be cobbled up using best TLAR principles

• Like 1

Whilst looking for something else I came across an advert for the Bowmans Magister.  It said many glassfibre  parts, so if there was no room for such ( bulky? ) parts perhaps it used 2 boxes or it's not that kit.