Updating Taranis X9D Plus from FrSky firmware v1 to v2

Allan Bennett

I've already updated most of my receivers to v2 firmware without any problem, having bought an X9D Plus 2019 earlier this year with v2 firmware already loaded.  But I'm bamboozled when it comes to updating my X9D Plus to v2 -- everything I read on the internet seems to relate to updating the OTX, the instructions on the FrSky site start by telling me to download the update and then copy the .bin file (which I don't see) to the trannie's SD card, and following a thread I found in this forum doesn't work for me either.

Here's where I'm at:  I've downloaded XJT_ACCST_2.1.0_LBT.frk from the X9D Pluse page on the FrSky downloads site, and copied it into the FIRMWARES and FIRMWARE folders on my trannie's SD card.  My trannie reports that it's got OTX Bootloader 2.2.3, and Curr FW: opentx-x9d+-2.2.3.  So, having switched on the trannie with both trims towards the middle, I have the options to Write Firmware, Restore EEPROM, or Exit.  So, where do I go from there, please? 

17 minutes ago, Allan Bennett said:

XJT_ACCST_2.1.0_LBT.frk

I have just done this on my Taranis X9D 2019 SE which uses access.

To upgrade the RF module

I switched on the TX

Long pressed Menu

pressed page

which took me to SD-HC card

Select [FIRMWARE}

find the frk file

XJT_ACCST_2.1.0_LBT.frk in your case.

Long press enter

Flash internal module press enter.

Fingers crossed that it is the same for you.

46 minutes ago, Allan Bennett said:

Is that it? ?  It seems to have gone okay, and I've bound a v2 receiver to it as a check.

Thanks guys, it's easy when you know how!

Yep, updating module firmware is  pretty straightforward, but we all do it so infrequently it’s always a bit of a memory test when it is required!

1 hour ago, MattyB said:

Yep, updating module firmware is  pretty straightforward, but we all do it so infrequently it’s always a bit of a memory test when it is required!

That's the problem I have with this sort of stuff. I have to read up and re-learn it every time I update - and I'm getting worse with age.

1 hour ago, MattyB said:

Yup, that's my problem.  I can remember receiver updating because there's so many of them, but a trannie is once in a blue moon!  And FrSky (and others on the internet) doesn't help by refering to both their firmware and the OS (OTX in my case) as "Firmware".

I'm facing the same issue - a 2019 X9D Plus still on the original OpenTX 2.2.4 and firmware and a dozen RXs still on ACCST 1 etc - which all works perfectly, and I'm loathe to have to do anything more than just use it to fly models!

So, what is the merit of NOT changing anything?

The only downside I can see is that, if all new RXs are only now available with ACCST 2, this'll mean flashing them back to ACCST 1...?

Edited by Jonathan M

7 minutes ago, Jonathan M said:

I'm facing the same issue - a 2019 X9D Plus still on the original OpenTX 2.2.4 and firmware and a dozen RXs still on ACCST 1 etc - which all works perfectly, and I'm loathe to have to do anything more than just use it to fly models!

So, what is the merit of NOT changing anything?

The only downside I can see is that, if all new RXs are only now available with ACCST 2, this'll mean flashing them back to ACCST 1...?

I am still on ACCST v1 (FCC, not LBT). I have chosen to stay there for now because:

1. I have never experienced an uncommanded servo movement (USM) due to the bug, and I have been a Frsky user for nearly 10 years;
  2. From what I have read USMs were more likely on the LBT firmware (which I don't currently use) than FCC version;
  3. Updating all my D16 RXs to ACCST v2 is a much bigger job than just flashing any new ones I to v1 (though obviously I won't be able to do that forever as new model RXs will only run v2), and;
  4. I am uncertain on my next major TX purchase, so have just bought the lowest cost RM TX16SE as an experiment/insurance whilst Frsky play out their strategy - this allows me to guarantee the future of my existing D16 and D8 RXs on whatever version of ACCST I choose in future.

YMMV, but I hope that helps. I certainly wouldn't worry about it if you have never seen a USM to date!

• Like 1

One reason some people don't want to upgrade from V1 to V2 is they use D8 receivers, that are no longer supported on the V2 Tx firmware (because they don't meet EU regulations).

For this situation, I've written D16 firmware that runs on D8 receivers, see here for details: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3391195-FrSky-D16-firmware-for-D8-receivers&perpage=20.

This doesn't just do D16, it does:

Auto detection of protocol V1/V2, FCC/EU at bind time.

Dual bind, easily rebind between two transmitters.

Use Hub or SPort telemetry sensors.

Optionally use a servo output for SBUS, either polarity.

Select servo outputs to be 18mS or 9mS period (individually selectable).

Map servo outputs to channels.

Configure options using a script on the Tx.

Link quality reporting over telemetry, with other statistics available using a script to read them.

Mike

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 28/04/2021 at 10:22, Andy48 said:

The main pain for me, once I'd remembered how to do it, was that the update screwed up all my telemetry. As I use it a lot, resetting that has been a real chore.

Is that definitely the norm for performing the V1 to V2 upgrade?  I keep thinking that should upgrade my Taranis X9D+ and receivers, but I make a fair bit of use of telemetry (altimeter/vario, Neuron ESCs for mAh consumed etc).  In what way was telemetry "screwed up"?

On 28/04/2021 at 14:28, Mike Blandford said:

One reason some people don't want to upgrade from V1 to V2 is they use D8 receivers, that are no longer supported on the V2 Tx firmware (because they don't meet EU regulations).

For this situation, I've written D16 firmware that runs on D8 receivers, see here for details: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3391195-FrSky-D16-firmware-for-D8-receivers&perpage=20.

This doesn't just do D16, it does:

Auto detection of protocol V1/V2, FCC/EU at bind time.

Dual bind, easily rebind between two transmitters.

Use Hub or SPort telemetry sensors.

Optionally use a servo output for SBUS, either polarity.

Select servo outputs to be 18mS or 9mS period (individually selectable).

Map servo outputs to channels.

Configure options using a script on the Tx.

Link quality reporting over telemetry, with other statistics available using a script to read them.

Mike

Mike,

I think you are getting ACCST V2 and ACCESS  mixed up, D8 works fine with ACCST V2 it's ACCESS it won't work with.

Phil

12 hours ago, Philip Lewis 3 said:

Mike,

I think you are getting ACCST V2 and ACCESS  mixed up, D8 works fine with ACCST V2 it's ACCESS it won't work with.

Phil

It's not V1/V2/Access, it's the change from the iXJT tx module to the ISRM one.  ISRM still works for ACCST V1 and V2 but only in D16 mode, Access is just a bonus.

Edited by Bob Cotsford

17 hours ago, Tim Kearsley said:

Is that definitely the norm for performing the V1 to V2 upgrade?  I keep thinking that should upgrade my Taranis X9D+ and receivers, but I make a fair bit of use of telemetry (altimeter/vario, Neuron ESCs for mAh consumed etc).  In what way was telemetry "screwed up"?

Once upgraded, the new firmware no longer recognises the existing telemetry. The only option I found was to search for telemetry again, and delete the old ones. You then need to check carefully through all your programming to see what has happened to the telemetry. Sometimes that needs resetting too.

18 minutes ago, Andy48 said:

Once upgraded, the new firmware no longer recognises the existing telemetry. The only option I found was to search for telemetry again, and delete the old ones. You then need to check carefully through all your programming to see what has happened to the telemetry. Sometimes that needs resetting too.

OK, thanks Andy.  That's rather annoying isn't it?  I keep thinking that I must upgrade to ACCST V2, but then think why fix it if it isn't broken?  I know there exists the "uncommanded servo movement" bug but in the several years that I've used FrSky I've yet to see a single instance of it.  I guess the time will come when receivers will only be sold with V2 firmware.  At the time of writing,  T9 Hobbysport will flash an rx with V1 at no extra charge.  Perhaps I'll hang on until I move to ACCESS!

2 hours ago, Tim Kearsley said:

OK, thanks Andy.  That's rather annoying isn't it?  I keep thinking that I must upgrade to ACCST V2, but then think why fix it if it isn't broken?  I know there exists the "uncommanded servo movement" bug but in the several years that I've used FrSky I've yet to see a single instance of it.  I guess the time will come when receivers will only be sold with V2 firmware.  At the time of writing,  T9 Hobbysport will flash an rx with V1 at no extra charge.  Perhaps I'll hang on until I move to ACCESS!

It is very annoying, but then its been a good chance to get each model out, update it, check all the programming, and update that so that each model is consistent (I must be OCD ?), and then check over the model itself and tidy it up. After that its a few test flights and all good to go. All in all quite worthwhile in the long run, and at some point the move to V2 will have to take place.

Its been quite an interesting exercise overall. One or two models that will get put into a swap meet, but a number of other problematic ones that now fly far better than I realised.

Edited by Andy48