Obechi Veneer Where to Buy?

Advert

You could search for veneer merchants.   A Google search found 3 or 4 in my area.

Obeche is light and used to be cheap but any other veneer could be used.  Some wings used to be made with mahogany or utile veneer and you could use that if obeche is not available.  It might be just as cheap to use balsa if veneer is dear or the postage is dear.   Any scraps of veneer would have little use but if you used balsa the offcuts might have a use somewhere else so making balsa just a bit cheaper in the long run.

• Like 1

I've used 800g, 1000g, and 1200g lining paper to sheet foam wings but it shrinks so tight it transfers the lumps and bumps of the foam through to the outer surface, it also tends to pull the wings into a bow forwards in plan view. The problems I have may be due to using PVA to stick it on with. I haven't used brown paper as it's difficult to know what type is best to use.

After trying 1200g lining paper which seemed heavy, 2000g seems a somewhat over the top.

"I haven't used brown paper as it's difficult to know what type is best to use"

My best successes have been with the type which has what looks like a pinstripe on one side, it's much stronger than the craft paper that has a universal colour on both sides. I get mine from a car bodyshop but available in many widths. PVA on matt side.

I have used brown paper with slightly diluted PVA with good effect. Just paste the BP on the matt side and iron it on. I haven't experienced problems with shrinkage with the wing bowing. An EPS hot wire cut foam wing is both quick and cheap to produce once you have set up your bow cutter. Light too.

It is easy to reinforce as well with carbon fibre cloth 'ribons' or just thin CF strips let into shallow cuts in the wing surfaces these can be held in place with foam friendly Cyano or the cloth with epoxy or PU, although I haven't tried PU. For small models the BP/PVA produces a stiff and fairly robust wing not requiring further reinforcement although I have fitted a thin ply (.5mm) dihedral brace slotted into the two wing halves to join them. Small pieces of .5mm ply can also be added to the TE of a banded on wing to protect it from damage from the bands, before application of the BP. 

Lots of options here.

Edited by Piers Bowlan

11 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

I've used 800g, 1000g, and 1200g lining paper to sheet foam wings but it shrinks so tight it transfers the lumps and bumps of the foam through to the outer surface, it also tends to pull the wings into a bow forwards in plan view. The problems I have may be due to using PVA to stick it on with. I haven't used brown paper as it's difficult to know what type is best to use.

After trying 1200g lining paper which seemed heavy, 2000g seems a somewhat over the top.

Think of it as an alternative to veneer and it makes sense. It covers all the imperfections in the foam too. Latex glue is the best way to apply it as there is no shrinkage to warp the core.

20210514_100219.jpg

20210514_100211.jpg

As I look they are showing Poplar as in stock? (tried refreshing just incase it's an old cache search ?)

Poplar Veneer

Home / Other Wood / Poplar Veneer

Showing the single result

Default sorting Sort by popularity Sort by average rating Sort by latest Sort by price: low to high Sort by price: high to low 
Edited by Ace