Acro Wot GRP kit build

Hi all,

I have just picked up a Chris Foss Acro Wot kit and can’t wait to get started on it! Whilst not new to flying I am new to kit builds so I’m reaching out to anyone that has been in my shoes for tips and advice on building, also any essential tools etc I should get hold of. My plan is to build it up with a Saito 82b some decent servos and wheel spats to finish. 

thanks for reading ?

hello nick, the A/Wot is now an olde world kit and over engineered. The model is pretty robust and well designed to last.i've owned two and on each one i reinforced the area inside the fuz,around the undercarriage mount with a fibreglass bandage to give it a bit extra strength(i fly off grass)fuel proof the entire tank bay inside before you add the top deck...and enjoy the model...oh and trace all the parts before you start the build onto a bit of old wall paper in case you need to do a re build..... ☠️  

ken anderson...ne...1...A/Wot dept.

• Like 1

When you make up the fuz sides make sure you make a left and right hand sides, easy to make two left or two right sides?. Also for the Saito set the  firewall back as per instructions for fourstrokes. Fit a servo for each aileron instead of single Central servo as some early kits had. Everything else is simple. Great easy flying model, enjoy.

Edited by Engine Doctor
  • Like 1

Hello Nick

I reworked my old Acrowot over the winter.  Now in the air and has become my goto  model for now.  They do fly very well.  I have stuck with a single central servo for ailerons which is just fine although I do prefer to use two.  I used car spray paint for the Fus and Oracover for wings etc.   Suggest you use a Dubro fuel tank as they can be set up to have a double clunk which makes defuel at the end of a flying session very simple.

I always use 3 colours for fuel pipes.  Clear for feed to carb. red for pressure feed and green for refuel/defuel.

Ref instructions in original kit ref side thrust I did not follow for the rebuild and I put engine on with no side thrust and that seems fine with my selected engine(OS55 2 Stroke).  My original build was with an OS70 4 stroke and it always needed rudder to correct a vertical climb.  Not so now.  Anyway have fun on your build.

large.20210315_125650.jpg.04242205c1aa93e2a94e231ec660fb66.jpg

Edited by Low pass Pete
  • Like 1

Hi all,

This is the later release kit I believe that comes with the GRP cowl and undercarriage and duel aileron servo recesses pre cut. I am guessing I will be ok with standard sized servo’s?

I would also like to add some wheel spats and possibly a CF under carriage and tail wheel if anyone has any recommendations?

I am just waiting for some tooling to arrive and then I can get the on with the build.

⛏??

Spats can really improve the look of a model, and in my experience providing you don't fly from a patch with a  surface no  better than a bomb site then most types other than very small ones can be made robust enough to survive. With an aluminium undercarriage of reasonable size, several self tapping screws that fix into a well glassed in and substantial piece of ply within the wheel well will usually be rugged enough to do the job. Wire undercarts can be a problem, as saddle clamps or similar will tend to be not so durable. Having said that my 22 years old Goldberg Chippy still wears its spats with the internal reinforcement despite my rough landings on occasion! Most kit and ARTF spats have mountings that are hopelessly weak as standard, so it's not surprising that they fall to bits.

Edited by Cuban8

I fitted spats to a 28% Extra thinking they would be big enough to cope with a well maintained sports field but they accumulated so much in the way of grass cuttings I had to take them off as they were binding up the wheels. I've amassed a box full of unused spats from all the ARTFs I have built over the years as they are always impractical on the strips I fly from. There's also a problem with tipping a model with spats on it's nose, it either skews or breaks them.

10 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Cf undercarriage, yes, good idea, especially with the Saito.

I personally wouldn't bother with spats as they can be a right pain!

GG

P.S. the plane in my avatar no longer has them ? 

I’ve ordered this, I think it comes in ever so slightly narrower than the GRP one supplied, I’ll compare them once it arrives ?

BD6A4FCB-F5F2-47B4-95CF-A66BA5145773.jpeg

On 21/06/2021 at 06:41, Low pass Pete said:

Hello Nick

I reworked my old Acrowot over the winter.  Now in the air and has become my goto  model for now.  They do fly very well.  I have stuck with a single central servo for ailerons which is just fine although I do prefer to use two.  I used car spray paint for the Fus and Oracover for wings etc.   Suggest you use a Dubro fuel tank as they can be set up to have a double clunk which makes defuel at the end of a flying session very simple.

I always use 3 colours for fuel pipes.  Clear for feed to carb. red for pressure feed and green for refuel/defuel.

Ref instructions in original kit ref side thrust I did not follow for the rebuild and I put engine on with no side thrust and that seems fine with my selected engine(OS55 2 Stroke).  My original build was with an OS70 4 stroke and it always needed rudder to correct a vertical climb.  Not so now.  Anyway have fun on your build.

large.20210315_125650.jpg.04242205c1aa93e2a94e231ec660fb66.jpg

Hi, I'm a long time modeller. Picked up an original Acrowot kit from a deceased member. Must be an original kit, vaccine cowl etc. But missing instructions. I could manage to build it, but not sure of : cg, movements, engine thrust rec etc. Somebody help please ??. Gladly pay copying/ postage etc.

Mmaurice

5 hours ago, Maurice Dyer said:

Hi, I'm a long time modeller. Picked up an original Acrowot kit from a deceased member. Must be an original kit, vaccine cowl etc. But missing instructions. I could manage to build it, but not sure of : cg, movements, engine thrust rec etc. Somebody help please ??. Gladly pay copying/ postage etc.

Mmaurice

hello again Maurice, glad you got the instructions ok........your A/Wot kit must be the current version made for the CV-19.......as you mention it has the vaccine cowl???

ken anderson...ne..1..vaccine cowl dept.

3 hours ago, Keith Berriman said:

Just out of interest I have thought in the past of fitting  two midi servos in the wing centre section to give finite control if needed 

On fitting a 4 stroke does the firewall need to set back some ??

Hey Keith, also note update bulletin 1, point A which meantions re enforcing the fuselage sides. I’m not sure if others have done this but I’m planning on adding the additional 1/32 ply. Point B is also worth doing, u/c re enforcement ?

Hi Nick 

Definitely glass cloth the inside the fuselage area where the undercarriage fits 

My experience with glass fiber undercarriage is on the occasional heavy landing   it starts  to create splitting inside

the curve and this then  gets worse and eventually time for a new one

The ally one can be straightened out