Acro Wot Alternatives

Before I start, this is not just the pandemic.

On and off for the last three years or so, I’ve been looking at the Acro Wot - the ARTF electric one - not sure whether my timing has been unlucky but I have never been able to find all the parts in stock at any one time - airframe, electric pack, recommended motor.

It is still the same, though now they are blaming Covid for a situation that existed well before the pandemic.

Think I even recall somewhere saying that the electric version of the ARTF GP/EP is being discontinued which seemed a little odd if true.

So interested whether there is any alternatives worth looking at.

Traditional build, low wing, sports, nice flier.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heather

10 minutes ago, Nigel R said:

must be artf?

Yes , not really into building these days.

I have the plans for the RCME Ohmen which I might get round to building at some point but when I last looked it seemed such a faff getting the parts (especially shrink covering).

But interested to hear what you have in mind.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heather

This is one place where I saw that the Acro Wot EP is no more

https://www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=14924

NOTE: As of October 2019 this kit is produced for engine power only and does not support electric power installation unless modifications are undertaken.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heather

I assume you are looking for the traditional acrowot rather than the foam-e  If so try the seagull challenger,assuming it is still available,  lovely model about acrowot size but way lighter needs about 6-700 watts on ep whereas the AW probably needs nearer 900 and 5s.   I have an acrowot artf on glow power and a kit built  challenger on 4S EP. Love em both.

Some one suggested the wooden ruckus, I have never seen one but got to be woRth a look.

if it’s the foam-e you want how’s about a foam ruckus 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gangster said:

If so try the seagull challenger, assuming it is still available,  lovely model about acrowot size but way lighter needs about 6-700 watts on ep whereas the AW probably needs nearer 900 and 5s.   I have an acrowot artf on glow power and a kit built  challenger on 4S EP. 

Did you build your Challenger from a kit.  Been watching some youtube build videos, looks like quite a nice kit but seemed like quite a heavy build.  They were building for IC so less of an issue.

What does it fly like on 4S and do you remember what motor you used.

Cheers,

Nigel

Nigel. Yes I built the challenger from the kit. 
No not a heavy build at all way lighter model than the acrowot. 

I used a Thumper 3548 from Overlander and if I remember correctly 13x8 prop bags of power on 4s. I take my hat off to the guy who did those videos The manual is very detailed on the building but somehow the guy who wrote it gave up on the fuselage and seems forgot to finish the instructions as a result it is possible to leave the fuselage floor out until too late ( guess how I know!). Not too serious though. Good review in RCME Dunno if you can still get them and how much They are now. They were £89. Probably double now

Wow they have gone up ( I think! That’s two different prices. And another retailer has em at 169 claiming rrp as 179.  Lovely model though. A joy to fly. Another nice kit for 4s 6-700 watts is the Mick Reeves gangster lite. That too has doubled in price. Lovely flyer

Edited by gangster
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, EarlyBird said:

Seagull Challenger (ARTF) (SEA-200) from 4-Max

Looks good to me and electric also. I could be tempted after all Seagull do have a good reputation and they fly well.

EB, IMHO you need to read the SG Hurricane threads, expensive dog that is wrong in so many ways, but once you have moved the entire nose forward, totally relocated the the UC, fitted a gyro and get a ace pilot to trim its and change all the throws it ends up as a right handful to fly.

With luck this is not one of their more recent designs so won't have been rushed out to the general public.

If is ARTF what about E-flite?

2 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Proper inflation....... now £190.  Unless I am missing something......  

Yes I saw the same when I searched but found the kit - the search said £114 but when you followed the link it was more like £150.  Guess that is the impact of Covid.

Cheers,

Nigel

There are loads of secondhand models around now - especially glow powered ones which could be converted to electric if that's what you want.   There must be many used AcroWots just sitting around somewhere.  Ask around at your club or look out for club sales.

Edited by kc