Favourite covering iron?

I have an unbranded covering iron that looks very much like the TopFlite one, i have been using this for over twenty years and i still does a good job but the teflon coating has worn away at the top end now so i am thinking of getting a new one. Someone gave me a new different make one several years ago and it did not seem to do the job as well so i passed it on again, which ones do you find best for you?

Advert

I use the cheap HK one - HERE

Has served me well over the last few years, Teflon has stood up quite well and temp gauge (mine is the non digital one) isn't too bad. I also bought a cheap travel iron for larger surfaces but that really doesn't get used that much as I seem to go for the turning one each time and sometimes can't be bothered to change over, mid-cover.

Just like Martin my old covering iron needed replacing and I've been putting it off as although my 25+iron works ok the Teflon coating is coming off. I've just bought from a deceased modelers estate a Prolux digital, it so much easier to use just setting the temperature and seeing from the readout when it has reached the correct setting.

IMG_20211005_140216.jpg

IMG_20211005_140244.jpg

John, you are right.

I used to agree with you, but an iron does the job. Just shrink it slowly until done. Bonus, one tool not two.
The skill lies in tacking it down, so the stuff will shrink until done. And if not tacked down well, no heat source will get it tight.

Your method works, but the initial tacking is the key. 

I have the Prolux digital, it was the freebie when I subscribed to the magazine.

Before that I borrowed an older one from a friend. It had a much nicer balance in the hand. I felt much more connected to the place I was covering, and I had a much better view of the edge of the iron. The shoe was narrower but a little deeper than the Prolux, with a flatter foot. Unfortunately I had to give it back...

I also use a heat gun, but I have always had one with a variable heat dial. It makes a heat gun so much easier to use, whether paint stripping or shrinking film.

52 minutes ago, Don Fry said:

John, you are right.

I used to agree with you, but an iron does the job. Just shrink it slowly until done. Bonus, one tool not two.
The skill lies in tacking it down, so the stuff will shrink until done. And if not tacked down well, no heat source will get it tight.

Your method works, but the initial tacking is the key. 

Yes Don, but I still have some hair, so blow dry it at the same time, Iron leaves marks on some coverings and on my head. ?

• Haha 1

I've never had a "proper" covering iron. At first I used the ordinary domestic iron until spouse complained about coloured marks on clothing. ?

since then I have used a small travel iron which has always worked well for me. Temperature is measured using a Coverite thermometer which IMO is an essential piece of equipment when using this sort of iron.

Malcolm

• Like 1

Well it darn tooting serves me right for starting this thread! I was going to put a new covering iron on my Christmas list so i would get peoples recommendations, i am half way through covering my DB Moth with Polyspan and my iron has packed up ?. Changed the fuse for a known good one and even cut the wires back and re wired it in case the pinch point inside the plug had fractured a wire. I`ve a good mind to take it back to the shop i bought it from 23 years ago but they have long since gone........

Looks like i will be getting one in the next few days.