Dual Glow Plug Driver

Frank Skilbeck

Advert

I think Alan maybe right, the OS F types have a more robust element, but a 2v cyclone driving 2 regular plugs in parallel mode may well shorten their life. This is for my Vega 50 side valve twin and as the OS F type has an extended "nose" I don't think they can be used with the Vega, certainly the plugs that I had in it from eons ago were not OS F type.

Edited by Frank Skilbeck

Not much voltage across the engine. Aluminium (and copper, the plug washer) are both particularly good conductors.

Start with a nice long lead between battery and plugs. It's an old dodge but a good one. You can always shorten the lead until you get a good glow.

Nick, not going to go through all that lot above but if you are thinking of powering the plugs in your 360V with a 2V lead acid then the best of luck. Two plugs in parallel may well drop the voltage just enough to prevent both of them blowing! If interested, I have a couple of South Herts twin glow drivers which operate from 1.2V each side.

Why all the suggestions for Cyclone cells ! You can now get NiMh D cells with higher capacity ,lighter with no danger of blowing your plugs,easy to charge and easily available. Get the pre charged type , they seem better under higher loads and don't self discharge like standard nimhs. Also make sure you buy a proper "D" cell as some are actually "c" cells in a "D" cell case. Two decent "c" cells in parralel will have more than power and still be lighter than a Cyclone lead acid.

OK Cyclone cells are fine IF you need 2 volts ? But you only need 1.2volt and in some case1.5volt to get a decent glow. Don't forget the plug doesnt have to glow like a light bulb ! A dull orange will be fine and plugs will last for years.