Lost and Found

Ron Gray

Must be about 4 or 5 months ago and to be honest it was all my fault as I wasn't really paying attention. I had just sprayed the primer undercoat on the JU-88 and was contemplating adding some more panel lines but my attention wandered and I think that is when I lost it. I tried a backup plan and ordered a plan plus some cut bits for the Kyten delta wing and started cutting and gluing but it still wasn't there so that build also stopped. No matter what I did or where I looked I just could not find it anywhere, you know what it's like you think you've put it in one place but when you look you find you were wrong. Frustration then sets in and you resign yourself to having lost it 'forever'. The wife kept saying "never mind, it'll turn up and in the meantime you can help with the gardening" (at this time of year???). I even had some suggestions from Richard Wills (Warbird Replicas) who suggested that I looked in the compost heap, which is about as much use as a chocolate teapot as I haven't got a compost heap, mind you, come to think of it I wouldn't mind a chocolate teapot, I wonder who makes them? 

Anyway getting back to the saga (they do good insurance on old properties you know). Christmas came and went and I got a new kit as a present from my wife, well it was from me actually but she told the children that she got it for me but if she did why didn't she wrap it up, didn't even put a bow on it! But even when I opened the box I could see that it wasn't in there either so the box was put on the 'to do' shelf with the 6 other boxes.

Then earlier this week I was rummaging about in my workshop and lifted up one of the wings of the Kyten, dusted it off and as I looked back to the bench at the other wing lo and behold there it was nestling in between that and the part finished fuselage. Boy was I happy, I went skipping (sad but true and also very difficult on a gravel drive) back to the cottage and couldn't wait to tell the wife who's reaction was "well you couldn't have looked very hard for it in the first place and if you had let me into the workshop (she's not allowed in unattended and has to sign the visitor's book - health and safety - both for my health and my safety, and usually has to give me 2 day's notice) when you couldn't find it, I would have found it straight away".

The upshot of me finding it is that the Kyten has been finished and I will be carrying out its maiden flight tomorrow! (Photos etc, to follow).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Advert

Mine appears and disappears all the time, particularly in relation to repairs and maintenance rather than new builds. It usually vanishes for long periods when a model gets to the painting/finishing stage.

My current big project was started at the beginning of the first lockdown and I thought it would take six months, but here we are almost two years later and halfway through covering. Just the dreaded painting to do.

1 hour ago, David P Williams said:

Mine appears and disappears all the time, particularly in relation to repairs and maintenance rather than new builds. It usually vanishes for long periods when a model gets to the painting/finishing stage.

My current big project was started at the beginning of the first lockdown and I thought it would take six months, but here we are almost two years later and halfway through covering. Just the dreaded painting to do.

Oh come on, tarting an unfinished model with paint is one of the most satisfying jobs,,,,