Looking for an aerobatic electric plane

aduncan

No type of twist drill makes a good job of drilling holes in balsa because it's too soft and it tears. I use a sharpened section of an old telescopic antenna against MDF backing. I find this method cuts the neatest holes in balsa. Constant resharpening of the antenna section is required. To enlarge a hole in balsa I use a rat-tail file in a drill turned anticlockwise. Running it clockwise will drag it into the wood like a screw and split it.

Brass tube sharpened on the INSIDE cuts a neat hole in balsa.   Fixed into a simple handle it is twisted slightly by hand.   A slot cut across the tube seems to make it cut better.   A template can be used to ensure the holes are spaced properly.   Choose a hole size that fits nicely on the wing jig rods.

My photo shows the tube device plus a gadget to remove the waste from the tube.

balsa-punch.jpg

Edited by kc

• 4 weeks later...

For those who have the LD 30 EP plan and building it, can you confirm there is an issue with the fuselage details? It shows the outline of the fuse sides to the lines indicated by the solid black triangles. If this were the case, the 1/2" triangle longerons would be edge on to the sides rather than glued to the sides. Am I missing something?

Thanks 

43 minutes ago, Masher said:

For those who have the LD 30 EP plan and building it, can you confirm there is an issue with the fuselage details? It shows the outline of the fuse sides to the lines indicated by the solid black triangles. If this were the case, the 1/2" triangle longerons would be edge on to the sides rather than glued to the sides. Am I missing something?

Thanks 

You are correct, the fuselage sides extend to the top of the triangular section which is glued to the inside of the fuselage side. I bought the short kit with pre-cut sides I presume you are building from scratch?

Thanks, just needed a 2nd opinion. 

Yes building from scratch. I have a couple of big LDs so adding a little one. Part of the decision was due to getting some foam wings from a chap on here - turns out they are not LD wings! I would probably have bought laser parts if I'd known. 

The more I study the plan the more funnies I find but should be simple enough to sort

On most plans the fuselage sides are shown by 'hollow' triangles while the black triangles usually indicate the extent of ply doublers - the ply ( only ) is often reduced in extent to allow for sanding at the triangle balsa etc.  I suspect this may be the case here although I don't have this particular plan to check.

I said most plans!  no doubt there are exceptions!

• 1 year later...
On 23/08/2022 at 22:36, DaveB1 said:

This was my Loaded Dice EP30 built from the Sarik kit and Laser shortkit a couple of years ago. I powered it with 4S 2650 mAh giving lots of performance and close to 10 min flights. It's a very capable, great looking classic aerobat that is really nice to fly . The fuselage side area isn't that great so I struggled to knife edge it consistently without ending in a long dive, but then I'm def lacking in skills for manoeuvres such as that. The result was that this beautiful fuselage is no more and I've just had to rebuild a replacement for the 2nd time....... Need to remember the 2 mistakes high trick !

Loaded Dice 1.jpg

Loaded Dice 2.jpg

The 2 m Loaded Dice was exactly the same in KE.  I needed almost full rudder to establish KE and forget KE loops.  That's the big difference between classic aerobatic models and today's taller fuselage models.  I can fly a KE loop with about 1/4 rudder deflection.