Looking for an aerobatic electric plane

aduncan

I'm looking for suggestions for an electric aerobatic plane, not 3D, but something which can do the basic schedule. Prefer a kit or plan to build.

If it can be hand launched so much the better. I've found A Terry Westrop model, the Chilli Breeze. Looks to fit the bill, but difficult to hand launch.

Any ideas appreciated.

Andrew

1 hour ago, Shaun Walsh said:

Loaded dice 30? Available from Sarik Hobbies with laser cut and additional wood packs.

Thanks Shaun, I've just ordered the plan for it from Sarik. The cnc cut parts price is a bit eye watering, which would probably mean hours of carbon paper and balsa knife, but I would probably go for it anyway.

Andrew

How about the free plan Piwakawaka in RCM&E?

Highly aerobatic on quite a low power set up, easy to hand launch or fit U/C for ROG. At one stage I put floats on mine and flew off water which was great fun.

For something a bit bigger, how about the Basic 3D, also a free plan which flies great.

If you have the Chilli Breeze plan you can download a set of wing rib profiles done by CAD quite recently if you look at this thread - there is also a slightly later revision I think.  This will help you cut out the wing ribs by hand.    Also search Modelflying for several threads about the Chilli Breeze and larger  Chilli Wind

Rara Avis is also on Outerzone for free download if you want.   However it's not a purpose designed electric model so like most i.c. designs it would need the front extending to form a battery box and get the CG right without lead.   Easier to build an electric design!   Consider Moon Dancer 2 from RCME March 2020 or Ohmen from RCME Oct 2018 or Miss Sizzles RCME July 2020, all by Peter Miller.

If you want a high wing design for easier hand launch then consider the kits or plans from Phoenix Model Products - Wallaby or Shindig etc.  

Edited by kc

I am looking for an aircraft which will do the full aerobatic schedule. i. e. something which will do consecutive rolls without screwing out, fly knife edge without rolling or pulling up or down. I have a foamie Wot4 E, which comes fairly close, ut looking for something better.

I've ordered the plan for the Loaded Dice E, which I hope might be what I'm look for.

I doubt you would do any better than the Loaded Dice EP as Terry Westrop was a top flyer and top designer.  But if you want other classic aerobatic plans look at Classic Aerobatic Association plan list - mostly i.c. though could be adapted to electric.

The article that was with the larger ic Loaded Dice also gave some important advice on trimming the model which should also work with the electric version

Edited by kc

That is exactly what I wanted to know ! It is frustrating trying to do aerobatics with a "normal" model. The plan for the Loaded Dice should be here soon.

I built a Jeti from plan in the 80s, and remember how precise it was to fly. I would imagine the Loaded Dice wil  be better. Also the trimming advice is invaluable.

This was my Loaded Dice EP30 built from the Sarik kit and Laser shortkit a couple of years ago. I powered it with 4S 2650 mAh giving lots of performance and close to 10 min flights. It's a very capable, great looking classic aerobat that is really nice to fly . The fuselage side area isn't that great so I struggled to knife edge it consistently without ending in a long dive, but then I'm def lacking in skills for manoeuvres such as that. The result was that this beautiful fuselage is no more and I've just had to rebuild a replacement for the 2nd time....... Need to remember the 2 mistakes high trick !

Loaded Dice 1.jpg

Loaded Dice 2.jpg

• Like 1

Are all the ribs are drawn out individually on the plan or just the root and tip?    If not shown individually I suggest drawing around each rib ( of the CNC parts ) onto paper to provide a pattern in case there is ever need of a replacement for repair.

I reckon the Loaded Dice EP is likely to be the best choice in that size electric model,  however the  Upbeat by Bill Bowne - free plan in this years January RCME -would also seem worthy of consideration.   

1 hour ago, aduncan said:

The ribs are all shown on the plan.

I did think about the Upbeat, but the wing building jig put me off. It was not clear of the jig was optional or mandatory. Apart from that, it looked well thought out.

I intend building a upbeat this winter. My take on the jig is that the wing components need positioning in 3D space before they are glued together to make a wing  assembly, and that the jig is the designers preferred way of doing it. I imagine other ways could be used to achieve that, for example, removable tabs on the ribs, packing pieces for spars, that sort of thing. Possibly more work to do that than make the jig??

There are various ways of building a wing that has symmetrical section - wing jig with rods, tabs or a packing piece underneath.   Or the very clever way Peter Miller does it by putting the LE & TE edge flat on the board first which just gives enough clearance for the ribs.

A wing jig is very simple to make - mine was built to the old RCM (USA) magazine design  using rods from B&Q steel ( selected to ensure they were dead straight by rolling along a flat surface!) and is very similar to the one shown in RCME.  Slight variations are - intermediate loose blocks same height as ends and a Vee notch for one rod only to save it moving around.   Photo shows this

small.wingjig1.jpg.66e202c2184d6f8533fc0cc452a9d6d0.jpg

small.wingjig3.jpg.971d33416fe06739dbb36ce66e4d1fcb.jpg

Edited by kc

Building the jig looks straight forward. It's making the holes in the ribs that's the step I have uncertainty about. I read the designers comment about carefully using a pillar drill. I interpret that as including high speed, low feed and I guess I'll need to do some test holes with a new brad bit https://www.screwfix.com/p/brad-drill-bits-4-x-75mm-2-pack/6251v#_=p

Any tips please?