Hello everyone

rossb1971

Hi everyone. I'm Ross from sunny Essex in the UK. Just getting back into RC gliding after a very long layoff so I'll be picking people's knowledge banks over the next few months whilst in the process of building a few new airframes! I'm attempting scratch building which is a route I've never taken so it should be fun. Cheers for having me here.

Edited by rossb1971
  • Like 2

Advert

Hi Ross,

Welcome back.

I too had a long lay off. I used to fly the Peterborough Winter Series Open class, do a fair bit of sloping, not easy as I live in the Fens, and aerotowing.

Over several years I would see Buzzards and Gulls thermalling and eventually decided to get just one electric glider just for those lazy summer days.

I dare not provide written evidence of the number of planes I have now, lets just say I have a choice of what type of flying I want to do.

Saturday was lovely and calm with streets of cumulus so it would have been churlish not take advantage. I launched my MPX Heron electric and I found a few little patches of lift but also some sink where it would descend almost vertically. I was at about 300ft and it suddenly dropped its nose then kicked back up again. I circled there and before I knew it I was testing my new glasses to the limit and, at that point, I bailed out and did a series of aerobatics back to the field. Just perfect😀

I have a superb bungee launched glider, Art Hobby Odyssey 2.7m (I highly recommend the Art Hobby range from T9 Hobby Sports) but I'm knocking on a bit now so find electric gliders very convenient.

Anyway, I hope you get at least as much enjoyment out of this fantastic hobby as I have and please let us know what you decide to build.

Geoff

On 29/08/2022 at 22:16, Andy Gates said:

Hi Ross,

Welcome to the forum.

I am also in Essex and have done much the same as yourself and built the glider I always hankered after as a brassic teenager.

I built a Graupner Amigo II from plans so all hand cut parts. What do you intend building?

It's going to be something moderately basic for now Andy. I've got a plan for a Slingsby Cadet so after my Cambrian Elan is built it'll probably be that. Nothing special I'll grant you but it'll get me into the swing of making stuff from nada!