Radiomaster TX16S - want to see one

Nigel Heather

Looking to move from my aging Futaba T8FG.  I have a few receivers but not enough to handcuff me to Futaba so I am pretty open about what brand to go for.

I have looked at the big names but also intrigued by the Radiomastet TX16S.  But I'm ensure about build quality and would like to see one in the flesh before considering.  Thing is, there are no UK distributors within a reasonable sdistance so I'm reaching out here.

Anyone in the Sussex/Surrey area that has a TX16S that they are prepared to show me.  Ideally the newer the better as I am aware that Radiomaster have made several improvements.

Many thanks,

Nigel

@Nigel HeatherMay also be worth contacting local clubs via BMFA Clubfinder (if you haven't already done so) - they may know of some members.

Re quality - it doesn't feel anywhere near as 'solid' as a Futaba or Spektrum, but you'll pay far far less for equivalent capability. I've had mine for a year or so and love it - I fly all sorts (electric, glow, petrol, fixed wing , heli) and have had absolutely no issues with hardware, software, RF quality. The programming side is a little different, but don't let the scare stories put you off - learning the basics is easy, and there is tons of support on t'internet for anything you could ever want it to do!

Mine was also bought unseen and, to be honest, I was a little disappointed with the initial feel, but my far more solid-feeling Taranis was soon relegated to being a backup, and I've not regretted it for a second.

• Like 1

I moved to Spektrum from Futaba, 9 years ago when I moved to 2.4 GHtz. I moved without grasping the new tranni in hand. 
Now I have no desire or interest in compare and contrast, but one irritant I have, is the rear sliders on a Spektrum tranni are a poor shape, and too far away for my hands. Useful, but useless for me.

So I for one will never again buy something as personal as a  transmitter without holding it, and having a conversation with yourself about where the controls are, rather that the techi bits, it’s the interface between your brain and the aircraft.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

@Nigel HeatherMay also be worth contacting local clubs via BMFA Clubfinder (if you haven't already done so) - they may know of some members.

Re quality - it doesn't feel anywhere near as 'solid' as a Futaba or Spektrum, but you'll pay far far less for equivalent capability. I've had mine for a year or so and love it - I fly all sorts (electric, glow, petrol, fixed wing , heli) and have had absolutely no issues with hardware, software, RF quality. The programming side is a little different, but don't let the scare stories put you off - learning the basics is easy, and there is tons of support on t'internet for anything you could ever want it to do!

Mine was also bought unseen and, to be honest, I was a little disappointed with the initial feel, but my far more solid-feeling Taranis was soon relegated to being a backup, and I've not regretted it for a second.

I understand your point wrt quality, but with the open source sets I think you have to compare physical quality based on the price point, not functionality. After all, a comparable Spektrum and Futaba TXs is likely to be ~£1k or even more. Do that and they don't honestly feel much better these days - DX6s are ok I suppose, but I was mightily unimpressed with a T6K I held a year or so ago, it definitely no longer had that trademark Futaba solidity of their earlier sets.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nigel Heather said:

Anyone in the Sussex/Surrey area that has a TX16S that they are prepared to show me.  Ideally the newer the better as I am aware that Radiomaster have made several improvements.

I have one, but sadly I'm nowhere near you - apologies. I'm sure you will find someone though, they are pretty commonplace nowadays. Do bear in mind though there are a lot of variants now, and the feel of the cheapest, earlier versions (which I happen to have - I think it was about £80 when I bought it) will feel substantially different to the latest models which have uprated gimbals, sliders and switchgear. All I can say for certain you for certain is that (whilst it may look a little chintzy, particularly in the blinged-up top spec versions)... Bleeeuuuurgh!

TX16S Mark II Max Radio Controller (Joshua Bardwell Edition / ELRS / M –  RadioMaster RC

...everyone I know who has one likes it, and they have all been very reliable.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

I'm at a disadvantage here as the only Spektrum's I have recently held have been IX/NX sets - feel nice and solid but much much more expensive than the Radiomaster (10 times in one case......).  Ditto the Futaba sets. 

So, my argument is that to get anywhere near the functionality of EdgeTX/OpenTX set, you'd need to spend a lot more, and the TX's you'll get from Spektrum/Futaba WILL feel more solid.  If the extra £'s are worth it is entirely an individual choice.  I think MattyB and I are in agreement.....  

Think mine's a sort of mid-gen set - decent gimbals but only ok'ish switches. No bling at all 🙂.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the helpful replies - I have found a couple of local options to see one in the flesh.

On the subject of compatible radios, I really get the point although that isn’t how I would buy.

More likely I would set a budget (£500) and see what I could get.

So I could get a Spektrum NX10, a FrSky X20S or a Radiomaster TX16S Max with CNC gimbals, for £500, £460 and £400.

It would be true to say that the NX10 has the least features, the X20 the most features and the TX16 in the middle, but another consideration is in reality would I really use them.

One thing that has taken me by surprise is how much the Radiomaster has increased in price.  When it first launched it was £100, now the basic package is £200 but then I feel inclined to add the options, CNC buttons, and gimbals and that pushes it to £380 and you don’t even get a battery - so £400 all in.  That puts it well into FrSky territory now.

Cheers,

Nigel

12 hours ago, Nigel Heather said:

It would be true to say that the NX10 has the least features, the X20 the most features and the TX16 in the middle, but another consideration is in reality would I really use them.

One thing that has taken me by surprise is how much the Radiomaster has increased in price.  When it first launched it was £100, now the basic package is £200 but then I feel inclined to add the options, CNC buttons, and gimbals and that pushes it to £380 and you don’t even get a battery - so £400 all in.  That puts it well into FrSky territory now.

The Frsky has more RF side features (Tandem transmission and updates to newer RXs via RF), but in terms of mixing/logical switches/flight modes etc both are very well appointed. Last time I looked ETHOS was missing a few things from OpenTX like global variables, though that might be addressed now (and there were some workarounds anyway). In short unless you have very, very complex models either set will serve your needs, and both are massively flexible to a degree that no Spektrum or Futaba at a similar price point can match. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nigel Heather said:

Anyone know if there is such a thing as a FASST module for the Radiomaster?

No, there are no aftermarket FASST JR modules available - your only hope would be to source an old Futaba OEM module from way back when…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295238193946?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=WkeGsvzNTnq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=5hWJgoE6Roe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

… and build an adaptor for it…

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2186369-JR-Transmitter-to-Futaba-FASST-Module-Adapter

TBH though at those kind of prices and complexity I would just sell off your old FASST rxs (they still seem to be in demand amongst Futaba die bards) and buy telemetry equipped replacements from Frsky (or LemonRX if you want cheaper non-telemetry ones for smaller models).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nigel Heather said:

Try contacting Memflight: https://www.memflight.co.uk/

They are in Hastings and have some in stock (or had a couple of weeks ago!)

--

Pete

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nigel Heather said:

I think I paid £180 for mine about a year ago - so it's gone up by about £20.  Not bad at all. 

But since then they have released lots of other, more expensive version - I see UnmannedTech are selling one for £549.99....... eeek! 

• Like 1

Yes the standard TX16S Mk2 is priced quite attractively at £200.  You need to add a battery which takes it to £220.

But then if you add the CNC buttons, knots, scroll wheel, handle etc. that pushes it up to £270, still quite attractive.

If you then add the CNC gimbals, the price jumps to £400.

And as you say there are some influencer special editions - which are really just different colour scheme variations which are very expensive.

One shame, for me anyway, is that they have gone back to the fake carbon fibre look.  I guess some will like it, I guess Radiomaster think it looks high end but personally I don't like it.

• 2 months later...

My Spektrum DX6 has voltage regulator problem and have been told the main board is now discontinued. Purchased RadiomasterTX16s Max (Flying Tech, brilliant retailers) and up rated OpenTx to Edgetx . It is certainly different to using my Spektrum radios (I also have a DX8) however there is a wealth of information on the net and have used that to start me off. Have found it useful to have a receiver and a couple of servos on the bench and use this as a test system. 

The Radiomaster will be set up for electric models and the DX8 used for i.c.

Just need some decent weather, that said the time spent tinkering has been invaluable .