Problem with Prolux Digital LED Thermal Sealing Iron

Murat Kece 1

This is the second time that I get failure with my PROLUX covering irons within a year. They stop heating up. I checked and can not find any problem with the electronics and the temperature sensor. My multimeter continuity check confirms that it is the heating element itself that failed . This is really very poor lifespan for such a tool. Has anyone similar experiences? What alternative brand iron would you recommend?

This is the error message.

1540298101_Prolux_Iron_Fault_20221022_165228(1).thumb.jpg.aa749101950bc99b5bf6a6adc83a9295.jpg

The tool starts but the red light disappears giving the above error message.

Prolux_Iron_Fault_20221022_165228 (2).jpg

Edited by Murat Kece 1

I find the Irvine Pro very good. The curved sole reduces the risk of bruising the balsa especially if, like me, you don’t like to use a sock on the iron. They do seem reliable but will break if knocked off the bench onto a hard floor. Guess how I know!

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/36597/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInOPnmbv0-gIVW-vtCh1RYgfcEAQYASABEgJfx_D_BwE

Trevor

Not at

I had TWO fail on me; bought from SMC, lasted a month each. both came with the European two pin plug with an adaptor.I was informed that the Euro version was designed to work at a lower voltage. I bought a new one with a British three pin plug from Balsa cabin at cosford. 

So far, so good. Fingers crossed, knock on balsa.

Maury

25 minutes ago, Maurice Dyer said:

Not at

I had TWO fail on me; bought from SMC, lasted a month each. both came with the European two pin plug with an adaptor.I was informed that the Euro version was designed to work at a lower voltage. I bought a new one with a British three pin plug from Balsa cabin at cosford. 

So far, so good. Fingers crossed, knock on balsa.

Maury

Think the voltage is the same. Sounds like someone telling porkies, plaster for every sore. Think about it, lots of stuff does not care where it works, as in every transformer in every computer in Europe., or this iron. Small number of failures is not a sure predictor of future failure. But it’s looking a bit fragile. 

Sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations with this iron Murat, I'd consider sending it back to the supplier for replacement. It should definitely last longer than a year.

I'd considered getting one myself recently, as I thought the LED temperature display would be useful, but perhaps keeping it simple and sticking with my original covering iron, which is coming up to 30 years old, might be the way to go, for me.

topr2100.jpg

Some years ago I "upgraded" to the Prolux iron without the digital display and that has worked okay, but I still find myself reaching for old faithful - trouble being that I can't get the iron socks for that one nowadays and the larger Irvine socks swamp the poor thing.

Buy cheap baby socks from Morrisons, or Auchun, three for a quid (€1.12) when I bought them.   Good enough.

I still have the ancient one as per Leccy, bought probably 35 yrs ago during my brief second modelling phase and in regular use until I upgraded to the Prolapse digital one c. 2 yrs ago, which is lots easier to use without having to check the temp.   Could do with an extra yard (920mm) of cable though.

BTC

• Like 1

Hi Murat

I had the same fault as shown in your picture ( Er-2), I contacted prolux directly and was told it was a heater element problem and it would not heat further than 33° (which was correct), they advised me to return the iron to my local dealer or if this was not possible to contact there uk distribution centre, I did this and produced my invoice showing it was under 12 months old and they replaced my iron like for like. If it is helpful the contact details for the UK distributor are:- RUSSELL LEE (Customer services). CML Distribution Ltd,

Saxon House

Saxon business Park

Hanbury Road

Bromsgrove 

Worcestershire 

B60 

Hope this helps

Barry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/10/2022 at 07:46, leccyflyer said:

Sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations with this iron Murat, I'd consider sending it back to the supplier for replacement. It should definitely last longer than a year.

I'd considered getting one myself recently, as I thought the LED temperature display would be useful, but perhaps keeping it simple and sticking with my original covering iron, which is coming up to 30 years old, might be the way to go, for me.

topr2100.jpg

Some years ago I "upgraded" to the Prolux iron without the digital display and that has worked okay, but I still find myself reaching for old faithful - trouble being that I can't get the iron socks for that one nowadays and the larger Irvine socks swamp the poor thing.

Hi Leccyflier

I will buy one of these if I can find a second hand one.. Cheers.

• 2 months later...

I had two fail.

1st one lasted a week and started to melt at the top and then stopped reaching temperature.

Got a replacement but after two days its stopped heating up also. 

Pretty poor quality product it seems or just unlucky.

Capture.JPG

Edited by gtH