Foam board Westland Whirlwind

Eric Robson

• 1 month later...

Belated thanks Ron,

Happy with the prop selection I glued the foam spinners on and gained a minute in duration with a better performance. Had a good days flying with these two the Se5 chased  a Dynam Albatros Dva, looked good in the clear blue sky. Pity the field entrance is like the Somme, I hate wellies.

20230127_131235[531].jpg

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

Belated thanks Ron,

Happy with the prop selection I glued the foam spinners on and gained a minute in duration with a better performance. Had a good days flying with these two the Se5 chased  a Dynam Albatros Dva, looked good in the clear blue sky. Pity the field entrance is like the Somme, I hate wellies.

20230127_131235[531].jpg

Try and obtain a pair of neoprene wellies, found in a farmers type emporium or Aldi has them occasionally  for around £20,keeps your feet much warmer.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've only just found this thread, as a result of seeing the video on Mark Robinson's Youtube channel. 

This is my ideal for warbird twins - big enough to have a bit of presence, but small enough to store/transport and hand launch (retracts being a weighty unnecessary complication). 

I'm hoping also, that the gear installed is modestly priced, as in larger efforts (e.g. Nijhuis Mosquito), the cost of electronics goes up exponentially! 

To this end, @Eric Robson, can you let us know what props/motors/ESC's you used?  TIA

Hi Mike,

The motors are Racestar 3536 950kv bought from Banggood at the time they were on offer £16 for2 the esc's are 40amp also from Banggood. Powered by a 3s 3000 20c battery I get 6 minutes flight times, the props are Apc electric 8x6. I have used this setup on a Lockheed Lightning and a Me110 all foam board and depron. I also have a 72" span Mosquito with 2 cheap E max motors .fitted with spinners since the photo was taken 

• Like 2

Excellent!  Thanks very much Eric.  I had guessed the motors were about that size.  It is, effectively the same power train as found in the ubiquitous Wot 4 Foam-e and I don't think I'm alone in having more than one set of those!  I've always thought they were the ideal basis for the multis you mention, plus B-24s, Wellingtons, Hampdens, Hudsons, etc.

I actually have the Whirly plans you used as a basis, but decided they were too large and was toying with the idea of getting them copied at about 90%.  After seeing yours fly, I'm inclined to start with a clean sheet of paper and start skip diving for foam 🙂 !

• Like 1

The flying sequence was for once worth watching. Not only the flight, the slight deflection of the wing when being picked up, how convincing the model is as a scale model.

I bought 10sheets, almost inspired to have a go, just repairs and apprehension in what to do, the how and so on, keeps me back.

Brilliant for all that, it has made me think, yet again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1