Club Members

Maurice Dyer

6 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

One of my clubs doesn't accept new members wishing to fly drones, although existing members are permitted providing sensible precautions are taken. This may well change as time goes on. A few members did turn up with camera drones regularly for a while and a small drone racing course was set up out of the way in a safe position. However, the novelty has worn off somewhat and we only tend to see a drone when it comes in handy when looking for a downed model in long grass or crops in the summer.

A bit silly as plane flyers at our club did a few drones it brought in new members who turned to planes and now the drones have gone leaving the new members, it is like going back to the clubs who banned helicopters  including me so I went to the club where I am now, the club banning helicopters at the time is down to less than 10 members,, RIP,,,

• Like 1

Advert

A bit silly as plane flyers at our club did a few drones it brought in new members who turned to planes and now the drones have gone leaving the new members, it is like going back to the clubs who banned helicopters  including me so I went to the club where I am now, the club banning helicopters at the time is down to less than 10 members,, RIP,,,

That's exactly what I am hoping.

Its alright us moaning that we cant attract new members, we have got to move with the times, and has been said, hopefully the drone flyers can be converted in the long term.  I recently helped a new member gather everything he needed to start flying on the buddy lead. Kiss goodbye to £600 for good gear. Compare that to a good second hand drone for £75 and its a no brainer!.

45 minutes ago, Maurice Dyer said:

Flying site won't allow drones. Airport rules

Not sure I understand - multirotors are essentially legally identical to any other SUAS, the rules only differ based on weight or whether they are carrying a camera. Is it the latter that defines the difference between a drone and a model aircraft in your local rules/agreement with the airport?

Edited by MattyB

On 05/12/2022 at 15:57, SIMON CRAGG said:

We to have tried to recruit via Scouts / ATC / Fetes etc. A LOT of effort to organise and take our best models to various halls etc.

Result?

Nothing / Zero / Diddly / Total waste of time and energy. As a club we have decided its a total non starter.

However, not all doom and gloom on the modelling front.

At present we do not allow drone flying at our club site, but I recently thought it might be a good idea to try indoor drone flying. (I am a long standing club Sec. and also on the Committee of a local Hall which I can use for nothing).

After a slow start, I have 14 members who are going to show up at our first indoor session.

There have been rumblings about including drone flying at our club site, and I think this may be the way to go, if the indoor goes well.

The market is flooded with suitable drones, so it is a very cheap way of getting into "flying".

Early days yet, but I think it may well be the way forward, and attract more potential members.

Hope so anyway.

Why would you not include drones ? After all,  they are models and they fly   well fight gravity . I have found that  many drone flyers tend to get bored with hovering and taking photos etc and then have a go at fixed wing . We have a large number of drone flyers and quite a few have come over to the light side 😉. Very occasionaly a fixed wing flyer goes to the dark side 😳. The main thing about a club is the social side for like minded folk. 

Get the drone flyers in as thier subs are as good as anyone else's. Yes you will have to do a bit of give and take re flight line etc but it's worth it for the survival of a club.

Would ifly a drone ? Not really I find them a bit boring but equally I realise drone flyers find my fixed wing models boring.  Give and take its the only way.

Good luck with your indoor sessions.

Edited by Engine Doctor
  • Like 2

We are lucky at the moment. Have had a limit of 100 adults for  a few years and a waiting list. Seven on the waiting list at the moment and three not renewing and one death opening a few places. Like most clubs there are a hardcore of regular fliers and "part timers"  

John

Thanks for the comments chaps, very interesting.

I am going to persevere with indoor drone flying at present (Bit chilly outside anyway), see how it goes, and then bring the topic up at our next committee meeting in January.

Our Chairman has a good relationship with our landowner, who we would have to contact out of courtesy if we were to fly drones at our club site.

This potentially could be a stumbling block, but early days yet.

I am convinced we need to move with the times, and drones being relatively easy to get in the air, cheap and readily available could entice newbies to our club.

5 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Has your landlord expressed concerns about multi-rotors previously?  If not, talking to him about potentially allowing them may actually cause that concern...... just a thought - you know him better than I!

I think that the very bad press, either rightly or wrongly deserved surrounding drones, and the fear of the bother that they might bring to a landlord from neighbouring land owners or even the public (hence "don't want those ruddy things on my land", after all the fuss over Gatwick etc etc) certainly swayed us to not encourage the membership of drone only flyers in the past. It's bad enough to keep some farmers/landlords sweet as it is, without making their fear of drones and the hysteria about them seen in the media even worse, might just give then something else to moan about.

Depends on a club's individual circumstances and their relationship with who owns their flying field. Very easy to have small things blow up out of all proportion in my experience, particularly with one farmer we rented a second field from in the past - it just needs a catalyst to get them to kick off sometimes.

Edited by Cuban8

On 08/12/2022 at 08:13, MattyB said:

Not sure I understand - multirotors are essentially legally identical to any other SUAS, the rules only differ based on weight or whether they are carrying a camera. Is it the latter that defines the difference between a drone and a model aircraft in your local rules/agreement with the airport?

personal request of the land owner; so I didnt argue......