Clacton Auster 1959

barryt

My first joyride was in an Auster when I was 8 years old. It was at the Clacton airfield. I don't remember much about it and there were no photographs. From the altimeter I had worked out that we were flying at 400ft, confirmed by the pilot which put an even bigger grin on my face! So before I get too old, I think this is a good enough reason for a similar looking Auster to be my next build.

Any idea which Auster types and registrations were giving joyrides in the late 50s?

Location of a suitable plan? Around 1.6m span is optimum but anything near would be fine.  

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi Barry, like you my first flight was in an Auster [circa 1969] that was used by the local gliding club as a tug. Very noisy [ no headsets worn] and the tires were rather bald [ down to the threads] on this well used example. Later it st for many years in the hanger but eventually taken away for restoration I was told.

Have a look at the Internatinal Auster Club site. Lots of pics of different Auster types. Cheers, John.

I remember that airstrip, it was a mowed field between Jaywick and Clayton. So that Auster was a regular flyer over the area.

My parents stayed in the same bungalow in Jaywick every year, so we passed that strip daily.

Back then, Jaywick was worth going on holiday to, from looking at the press it’s a place to be avoided today.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, your recommendations and advice are much appreciated.

I have managed a little research showing that the aircraft operating from Clacton in that era were G=AMSZ (thanks Dad_flyer) and G-AKWS of Norfolk Airways. I have found some photos of both but I'm not sure I can post them here as they are marked copyright. Both of these aircraft are/were Lycoming powered and use a wide cowl to accommodate the boxer engine. Unfortunately, I much prefer the look of the classic Cirrus or Gypsy powered models.

After some dithering, I have decided to abandon my original idea of modelling the aircraft which took me on my first flight (which i barely remember anyway) and build a aircraft of a similar type from the same manufacturer and which I find more aesthetically appealing.

I then looked at suitable kits and plans. Living overseas, shipping and import tax are factors to consider. The DB kit is just too expensive and sadly, Sarik will not sell me a pdf copy of a plan. They willl only ship a printed copy.

Fortunately, Outerzone has just what I need. (thank you Paul De Tourtoulon). A 1/6 scale Taylorcraft Auster by George Ritchie. Drawn with reference to the full size G-AJEM, the plan has plenty of scale detail. https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10168.

So that is 2023 sorted!

Thanks again everyone and, if I'm not too early, season's greetings and a happy new year to you all.

BarryT

Cape Town

• Like 1

The George Ritchie plan has a note on Outerzone saying " has Mr Ritchie built a model from this plan?

This is the plan published by RC Scale Aircraft Quarterly 1986 Summer when David Boddington was the editor.  The article does show a few tiny photos of the model so it was built but no mention of it flying!   It says it was built some years ago and is now (1986) undergoing a period of refurbishment.   The article says little of any use to a builder now.

So it's not the David Boddington design that became his DB Sport and Scale kit which was probably redone by later owners of DB Sport and eventually built recently by Danny Fenton.

( David Boddington sold DB Sport & Scale when he became editor of Radio Modeller also RC Scale Aircraft about 1984)

Edited by kc

Eddie Stocker and wife Judith did much to update the DB sport and Scale range while in their ownership.

This now continues with Richard Bristow with kits, plans and plan packs. 

I think the plan for Auster J1 is available.

Edited by J D 8

I had my very first flight at age 11 from Shoreham in Auster 5 G-ANHR. I went to sit next to the pilot but was shoved in the back seat by an older person. The flight was along the coast and over Brighton and i was thrilled to bits, taking a whole reel of shots with my trusty Brownie 127. I still have these somewhere, i must look them out. The cost of this exciting adventure was just one English pound, how about that for value. I never flew again from Shoreham but visited the airfield on many occasions as my aunt Lou had a house on Shoreham beach. Of course also many visits to the wonderful air displays which are sadly no more after the awful Hunter crash and loss of 11 lives. On my final visit the wonderful Vulcan put on a fantastic display and i remember it very well bringing a tear to my eye as it roared over, a sight not to be seen again unfortunately along with the excellent open days at this historic airfield.

I went on to enjoy many more flights in historic aircraft including a fantastic 45 minutes in a Gloster Meteor from RAF Wattisham whilst on summer camp with the CCF from Reigate Grammar School. Ridiculously as an avid plane spotter i failed to take note of this aircrafts registration. My little buff logbook shows the flight but with no detail, i would love to know if this aircraft is still about but have been unable to find any details.