New virus threat

Former Member

Advert

Sorry if I sounded harsh Eric, I didn't mean to.  I just find virus warnings on a forum like this completely pointless.  There and tens of thousands (probably even more) of viruses, scams and phishing attacks out there - you're not going to be able to warn against them all.  In this case it's a quite well known hoax that you're perpetuating.

I just don't see the point.  Sorry.

• 12 years later...
33 minutes ago, john davidson 1 said:

I have just received an E-mail headed "NEW MICROSOFT WORD" inviting me to update  Outlook by clicking on a link, has anyone else seen this? It looks gen but I am suspicious.

hello john, I've been getting the same e-mail and variations of it for a while now, check the address of the sender and you'll see its off and individual person.....ignore it with or without opening and mark as spam and delete it.

ken anderson...ne...1...rubbish e-mails dept.

In view of the current situation it might be better to identify the difference between a computer virus and a virus virus  ?   I just had a palpitation and a totally unnecessary one!

But Garry's right. The only connection between Outlook and Word is that they're both Microsoft programs.  In any case, my version of Office is so old (24 years), even Bill Gates has forgotten it ever existed.

Geoff

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

In view of the current situation it might be better to identify the difference between a computer virus and a virus virus  ?   I just had a palpitation and a totally unnecessary one!

But Garry's right. The only connection between Outlook and Word is that they're both Microsoft programs.  In any case, my version of Office is so old (24 years), even Bill Gates has forgotten it ever existed.

Geoff

Bill who ? ?

Scams everywhere!

Yesterday, we had a call on our landline which started "We have detected illegal activity on your broadband connection.... Press 1 to...." at which point we put the phone down.

And I have lost count of the number of calls, from different numbers, to my mobile, that claim to be from HMRC...

GG 

Very few people know my mobile number yet I'm getting regular calls where no message was left.  Those I can, I put on my block list, but often, once opening the phone, the message disappears.  We also get a lot of pre-recorded calls on our land-line; I've no idea what they're about because, if there isn't anyone real there, I put the phone down immediately.  I suppose enough people are taken in to make it a worthwhile exercise.  The annoying thing is that a lot of those calls could be genuinely useful but scammers have made them useless for everyone.

I know a lot of people have abandoned using a landline but mobile reception indoors for us is very sporadic (ranging zero to 3 bars) and so unreliable.

Geoff