Hanky Planky Foamy Woamy

Ron Gray

All KFm wings used on the Hanky Plankys have been very successful, we’ve got KFm-2, KFm-3 and KFm-4 being tried.

19 minutes ago, Kevin Fairgrieve said:

I did however elect to use the Depron one for the races.

Given the potential for carnage in the skid Marks round I think that was a wise decision Kev!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So the Hanky Planky Races continue. Today was going to introduce 2 more rounds, Busta Balls and Cut the Crepe but it was too windy for the Busta Balls round although we did manage the Cut the Crepe and another round of Skid Marks.

To give the Hanky pilots an idea of what to expect in the cut the Crepe round I took my Fun Cub up to demonstrate what they had to aim for - the crepe streamer being towed behind it. This is a video of that demonstration (actual action vids to follow). you may want to turn the volume down as the wind noise is quite loud.

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 1

They can be a bit of a handful if the CG is too far back and/or too much elevator throw.

The Skid Marks round of the Wacky Races is proving to be very popular. In this round you have to land as close to my hat (removed from head) as possible. All Hankies in the air at the same time then I call the 2 minute countdown for the attempts. Lots of things to consider, do I land first and risk being hit, do I land last and risk running out of time or space but yesterday there was another potential, will the hat get blown downwind? All good fun and very little damage.

When we tried something similar it also proved very difficult even though we had 3 at once trying. (reminded me of a 1/12th scale combat melee with 6)

One thing you may wish to consider is a longer lead line to help keep the crepe further from your aircraft to assist in its preservation 😉 

I did think about a longer lead line but then wondered what would happen if a Hanky got entangled (both planes down?). At least with crepe it breaks easily and at 30ft long I thought it should be long enough!

Edited by Ron Gray