Which petrol engine?

Graham Bowers

Thinking of slotting a ".90" sized model in the build queue, something like a Kaos90. 

75.5 inch span, 1002 sq inch wing area, 10.5 to 11.5 pound flying weight.

Wouldn't mind trying a petrol engine, brand new territory for me though.

Suggestions sought on which engine to go for please. 

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5216

Advert

Big fan here of the Stinger range. Either the 15 or 20cc will fly this. I have the 20cc in a broadly similar plane and it can be a hooligan 🙂 , the 15 would be fine too.

Note however that they use a rear mounted carb (most gassers do), unlike most glows. The narrow fuse of the Kaos might make for a tight fit with regards to throttle and choke pushrods in the tank bay. Not insurmountable.

Experience has told me to steer clear of the NGH and Evolution (if still available) ranges.

I got both a Stinger 20 and a DLE 20 RE

The DLE went through the noise test with just a couple of pepper pot ends and silicone tubes.

The Stinger is far more harsh in tone, mine also uses a 1/4x32 plug. The DLE has the standard ( and much cheaper) CM 6.

Out of the 2 ...I should have bought a second DLE 20. Just my preference, the Stinger is a strong reliable unit in fairness 

23 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

So Dle are more expensive in England ?, with customs it's the other way around here.

Yeah, from a little to a lot. 

I have two 'Stingers' - both, I am slightly ashamed to admit, came from China and were half the price of a DLE....... good, reliable engines. Supplied muffler is useless though.

I have 2 Stinger engines a 30cc twin and a 15cc rear exhaust single, both the new edition. The only downside is the noise, it does not effect me as I fly well away from populated areas, I haven't tried a decibel test as no-one in the club that I know of has a meter. I would think they would fail.

I am very happy with the performance and overall running of these engines. 

2 hours ago, cymaz said:

Clubmate has an OS 22. His  ignition seems very sensitive to voltage drop on the battery.

OS 22. ~£359

DLE 20 se ~£259

Stinger 20 ~£220

parts availability and price is another thing to consider 

As I said earlier, I'm afraid I went Chinese for my Stinger and it was under £130, delivered. Took about 2 weeks to arrive, and I was happy to gamble on no after-sales for that price.

Not sure about spare parts - I know they're available from China too.

It sat on a shelf in my Pigeon Coop (workshop) for about 15 months, then started first spin of the starter......