Frog metal Free Flight kit

Just talking to a friend and I remembered that back in the 60s Frog produced a kit for a free flight model which was built from metal strips. It was powered by one of their diesel engines.  I have a feeling that it  was called the Pioneer but that could be wrong.  I do know that it was very expensive.

I also remember that Pylonius mentioned rusting wreckage on the flying field.

Can anyone remember it and did anyone actually afford one and flew one.

It was a high wing cabin design.

Advert

It was named the Pioneer - 38" span, produced from 1955 - 56. Pylonius got the rusting wreckage wrong - there wasn't any iron in it's construction apart from possibly a few nuts & screws, IIRC it was made from mainly magnesium.  

Edited by PatMc

I remember seeing all the adverts for it. I was a bit young at the time, it was a "Coor!!!' moment for me at that age.  59/6d was a lot of money then 6 old pence short of £3.00  , a fortune

.Bas

Edited by Basil

7 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

Not much?.... Almost a weeks pay at the factory I worked in for a few months before joining the RAF  and about a weeks pay in the RAF once I had passed out as a tradesman (Airframe Mechanic) in the RAF.

I notice that it is considerably more than the engine intended to power it.

In 1956 I worked on Butlin's Amusement Park in Skegness whilst waiting for my GCE results.  £1/day so £7/week - I don't recall any deductions for tax or NI stamp (it was actually a stamp in those days).  I had a 1953 Excelsior Consort (98cc 2 speed gearbox) I'd saved up for over the previous year - £30 IIRC.  When I got a proper job in early 1957 at Murphy Radio my wages of £3 10 00 (£3.50) exactly matched my digs so my dad subsidised me to 30/- a week which paid for lunches because my digs were just bed, breakfast and evening meal, and I also ran my motor bike (a BSA C11 250cc) on that. 

So yes, £3 would be quite a stretch for a 17 year old back then.  Strangely enough, at 17, I would be regarded as a child now but then I was living with zero adult supervision.  Of course, having almost no money I couldn't get into much trouble 🙂