RC transmitting without joystick/controller and RC communication speed

Mark___

Hello, so, are there any RC transmitters that can by controlled to send messages via programmable board (through pins) and not in combination (=build together) with RC controllers?

And a second smaller question, what is the general/needed communication speed for RC plane control, and is 10 PPS (= every 100ms) too low for plane control?

Thank you,

Mark

You can buy other DIY modules, the 4 in 1 type or Orange/Lemon DSM2/X types, you'd be best to read up on the specs of them to see if they will do what you require, for RC use they are basically used to send position signals, not messages.

More details on the 4 in 1 modules can be found here https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Multiprotocol-TX-Module

50 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

I think he just wants the RF part of the transmitter.  Perhaps something like the diy adapters Frsky sold when 2.4gHz was in its infancy?

I understand the technical goal here, but given the OP is a new member with a zero post count I want to understand why he wants to operate without a transmitter before offering advice. Whilst autonomous systems are available that allow this sort of control, the operator still needs to maintain LOS and based on my understanding of the current regs I am not certain you can dispense with manual control completely, hence my question.

Until we know why he wants to do this, and whether his intended mode of operation is legal, I really don't want to be offering advice. 

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

I think he just wants the RF part of the transmitter.  Perhaps something like the diy adapters Frsky sold when 2.4gHz was in its infancy?

It sounds that way to me too..

10 hours ago, Mark___ said:

Hello, so, are there any RC transmitters that can by controlled to send messages via programmable board (through pins) and not in combination (=build together) with RC controllers?

And a second smaller question, what is the general/needed communication speed for RC plane control, and is 10 PPS (= every 100ms) too low for plane control?

Thank you,

Mark

Take a look at This video on ESP-NOW protocol. It is a peer to peer network protocol using esp32 modules on 2.4GHz to send messages without any wifi infrastructure. Is this the sort of thing you are after?

The joy of flying R/C models is derived from the skill of actually controlling them. 

A newby to the forum who wants "RC transmitters that can by controlled to send messages via programmable board (through pins) and not in combination (=build together) with RC controllers"  

This ridiculous concept should be regarded as highly suspicious. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Cooper said:

The joy of flying R/C models is derived from the skill of actually controlling them. 

That may be your personal view, but let's not get into trying to define what the hobby is or isn't. People get different things from different elements, and just because someone else likes the tech more than manual flying doesn't make their enjoyment any less legitimate.

2 hours ago, Brian Cooper said:

This ridiculous concept should be regarded as highly suspicious. 

Semi-autonomous LOS flying certainly isn't a "ridiculous concept" - I know people who do this for a living and for fun, and they very much enjoy the challenge of it. However, it is something which requires a lot of understanding of both the tech and the legal restrictions that apply in order to do it well.

What we need to understand from the OP is why he want to do this - without that there is a chance that we might be accidentally aiding him to fly in an illegal manner, or even utilise his setup for nefarious purposes (less likely, but still possible).