Spektrum DX5i manual

david james 1

I have acquired an unused example of the above from the widow of my deceased friend. Also two AR610 receivers but unfortunately no manual. I am normally a Futaba used so I am completely lost as to how to program this.

Can anyone point me to a website where I can download it. I have Googled but only seem to come up with DX5e which seems completely different.

TIA.

Advert

You should note that there are at least 3 types of DX6i

DSM2 only  ( does not have an X on the case)

DSM2 and DSMX

DSMX only    - imported after a cetain date when EU regulations changed,  won't work with old DSM2 only Rx

Modern Rx work with all DX6i  Tx  ( the instruction sheet with Rx show best settings for various Tx )

Hi guys

Thanks to you help I have been making progress. I more or less understand the programming of the Tx and have managed to get the AIO to bind and operate. But a couple of extra questions.

1. The Tx does not seem to go off when I slide the switch to off.  So far I have had to resort to taking a battery out.  Is the switch faulty or am I missing something?

2.The intended model (a Microaces SE5a) is rudder and elevator only - no ailerons.  Thus the rudder is operated by the LHS stick.   Can I switch this to the RHS stick as I am not sure I can retrain my reflexes to fly that way.

TIA  david

Hi David, 

I'm afraid I don't know about the switch although I think they can be a weak point.

With regard to the channels and sticks, there isn't (as far as I am aware) a way to reassign channels on the dx6i (if you can't swap the servo leads in the receiver). I get around this on my 3 channel planes by adding a 100% mix between the rudder and aileron channels. That way both sticks control the rudder. You could disable the LHS stick by setting rates to 0 just for the rudder channel but I find its handy to keep it if you are used to using rudder so steer on the ground. In addition, using both inputs together gives you additional throw if you need it.

I hope this makes some sense!

Dave

This would be an aileron to rudder mix which I am not sure is available in airplane mode. I can only find dual channel aileron, V tail and elevon mixing which I don’t think will do the trick.

There is programmable mixing in helicopter mode. I wonder if I could adapt this ?

alternatively, could I take the back off and swap the leads to the sticks?

20 minutes ago, RottenRow said:

Can’t you just plug the rudder servo into the aileron channel of the receiver?

The simplest ideas are often the best!

However the switch may be a problem and the possible reason the Tx was not used previously as it was /is unreliable.

Edited by kc

Page 70 of the DX6i manual, link given above, gives mixes. The example mentioned is mixing aileron to rudder, which is just what you want. If you do this then both the rudder and aileron sticks will operate the rudder.

Alternatively plug the rudder servo into the ailerons socket on the receiver as RottenRow says.

GDB

Caveman explains this better than I did. There are 2 mixes available in aeroplane mode (called acro on the dx6i) although I can't remember whether these are in the setup or adjust menu without my Tx to hand. You need to enable one of them in programming menu to mix aileron and rudder 100% in both directions. If your microaces plane has a micro 'all in one' type receiver and linear servo setup then you can't unplug the leads to swap channels on the receiver.

Yes I have now found it hidden away in the Adust section - not in the Wing Tail Mix section where I was looking.

When all fails RTFM more carefully - even when it is only online!

And BTW you can't just plug a servo into another socket in the RX with an AIO - it is all hard wired.

Thanks to you all -problem solved.

• Like 1

david

I am a bit concerned by the switch.

On a DX6i the act of switching off also saves all the current settings signified by the radio giving a beep and briefly displaying a message "Saving Settings" after the switch is set to off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eG7WLYmDFQ

I am not at all sure removing the battery would have the same effect so you might well find any changes you made will not be stored permanently which might make things a bit harder to understand.  

Thanks to the help her, I have now mastered the programming but the switch remains a problem.

I can turn the set off by removing one of the dry cells but have now realised that this will not retain any of the programmed settings and it will revert to factory settings.

I have taken the back off and loosened the PC board with the switch attached. I then liberally doused the switch with electronic contact cleaner and worked it on and off a few times. Unfortunately no improvement.

A slide switch is a fairly simple component and, other than corrosion, it is hard to think what might be wrong. Do I have to consider unsoldering it and a replacement?