Very lucky Man

cymaz

Advert

When I was a lad and all I could afford were small diesel engines fitted with floppy plastic props, when you put your finger in the way by crikey did it heart but it caused no permanent damage. This really taught me a lesson about propeller safety I never forgot and stood me in good stead for dealing with today's rotating knives.

• Like 1

I was running up some diesels the other week and made the critical mistake of trying to use the spring start thing. Nope, it bit me as it always does! Back to the wooden stick. Im just going to take the blasted spring off. 

• Haha 1

Nasty cut. The only thing I can suggest when starting IC engines (I presume it wasn't an electric model) is to follow a fixed procedure each and every time you start an  engine. Make it a habit and don't deviate, don't be rushed or distracted. Obviously no reaching over the prop to disconnect the glow clip, but what I find very useful is after every start, immediately move your hands and arms outwards and away from the (restrained) model. Might look as though you're going to burst into song but it'll prevent you pulling your fingers back through the prop which I've seen far too often. Don't keep your tranny too close to the running engine but an easy reachable distance to one side- too close and in front of the engine...... so easy to make a grab for it via the prop arc.

Obviously, the technique will need to be altered to suit the individual and whether a starter or chicken stick is employed and it won't help when tinkering around an already running engine, which will require care and concentration in itself.

Let's be careful out there.

• Thanks 1

A good reminder that our 'toys' can sometimes bite. Although I have a pretty good routine working with my IC planes I didn't pay the same respect to an electric model, knelt directly in font of said model, unrestrained whilst clicking through the esc setup - sounds ridiculous now but at the time I didn't give it a second thought - once I exited the setup the esc 'rebooted' and powered up full throttle, I had some pretty robust jeans on but it still made a bit of a mess of my leg, luckily as I had the transmitter in hand I went for the throttle cut and notinct of reaching for the model cutting my hands to shreds.  This was a couple of weeks after...

20220913_211732.thumb.jpg.59258f6a9ea4c3851b6f36f519c17084.jpg

We have an unwritten rule in our club that when someone is starting an engine you don’t talk to them (not always observed I have to say).  It’s often distraction from other people, or a change in your usual routine that leads to accidents.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EvilC57 said:

We have an unwritten rule in our club that when someone is starting an engine you don’t talk to them (not always observed I have to say).  It’s often distraction from other people, or a change in your usual routine that leads to accidents.

Yes it cost me my 30-year-old Marutaka Stuka, I actually took off with the flaps down it climbed and then spun into the grape vines.