March Issue of RCM&E

malcolm woodcock 1

Subscription means that they already have you..........free booklet in WHS copies are designed to attract the buyer who may just be browsing.

There always used to be a rumpus over the little plastic freebies that were included with news stand copies and not to the subscribers IIRC...........still have my rib setting angle widget from 80s or 90s, years ago anyway.

This puts me in mind of the situation you often find when coming to renew things like car insurance.  You are quoted £X to renew and you go on to a comparison site and find that you are quoted significantly less as a new customer.  It's effectively a negative loyalty incentive!  A week or so ago I was quoted £61 by a well-known car breakdown recovery organisation to renew my cover for a year - up from £38 the previous year.  I did the same comparison online exercise and found a quote from the same organisation much lower than they'd quoted me to renew.  So I phoned them and told them I didn't want to renew and the reason why.  The guy on the end of the phone instantly, without any hesitation, offered to renew my cover for the previous year's price - £38.  To me they were just "trying it on" and hoping I would pay up without question.  I find this whole "anti-loyalty" mentality distasteful I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, Tim Kearsley said:

This puts me in mind of the situation you often find when coming to renew things like car insurance.  You are quoted £X to renew and you go on to a comparison site and find that you are quoted significantly less as a new customer.  It's effectively a negative loyalty incentive!  A week or so ago I was quoted £61 by a well-known car breakdown recovery organisation to renew my cover for a year - up from £38 the previous year.  I did the same comparison online exercise and found a quote from the same organisation much lower than they'd quoted me to renew.  So I phoned them and told them I didn't want to renew and the reason why.  The guy on the end of the phone instantly, without any hesitation, offered to renew my cover for the previous year's price - £38.  To me they were just "trying it on" and hoping I would pay up without question.  I find this whole "anti-loyalty" mentality distasteful I'm afraid.

AS Esther used to say, "that's life".

Hi all,

I've spoken to Mortons about this and they've said that they've been bagging some copies of RCM&E only at WH Smiths as a retail exclusive. What they're bagging is very old stock from Traplet. When subscribers renew, they get 2 bookazines along with paying significantly less than the shop price. 

Hope that helps

Beth 

• Confused 1

On 07/03/2023 at 10:38, Beth Ashby Moderator said:

Hi all,

I've spoken to Mortons about this and they've said that they've been bagging some copies of RCM&E only at WH Smiths as a retail exclusive. What they're bagging is very old stock from Traplet. When subscribers renew, they get 2 bookazines along with paying significantly less than the shop price. 

Hope that helps

Beth 

Hiya Beth,

These old Traplets publications were not bagged as inclusive with RCM&E, but were displayed as separate items.  Beyond Morton's control, I know.

TIM

On 08/03/2023 at 20:50, Tim Hooper said:

Hiya Beth,

These old Traplets publications were not bagged as inclusive with RCM&E, but were displayed as separate items.  Beyond Morton's control, I know.

TIM

Thanks Tim, are you able to tell me the WH Smiths you saw these in seperately so I can let them know? Happy if you want to PM. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Beth Ashby Moderator said:

Thanks Tim, are you able to tell me the WH Smiths you saw these in seperately so I can let them know? Happy if you want to PM. 

Hiya Beth,

It was in Telford Town Centre.

I was just a bit concerned that an interested punter might buy them without knowing that they're decades out of date!

Tim

• Like 1