First taste of the sky

toto

45 minutes ago, toto said:

Hi John,

The only other option is to replace the sim card S it will definitely not allow it to be deleted. The cursor will not highlight it at all.

Cheers

Toto

It’s possible the reason you can delete the unusable model is because it is the current selected model, you could try selecting another model then retry deleting the unusable model?

• Like 1

Hi PDB,

It wasn't the currently selected model as it no longer exists as a selectable model. The only trace of it is in the model names list which comes up in upper type face as " UNUSABLE MODEL " and wont allow you to select it.

Thanks for the suggestion though ... as always ... much appreciated.

Toto

• Like 2

So ..... where are we in looking forward to this coming weekends flying.

Domino has new ESC ...... re-calibrated to the NX8 transmitter and all seems fine. I need to check that the NX8 and NX6 are still buddied together in martial bliss since the recalibration .... I'll do that ..... recharge spent batteries and of course both transmitter batteries. I think it will be good to go ( weather pending ).

last weekend , I did have the Tasman loaded into the car for an initial potential maiden by my instructor but due to the hassle with the Domino ...... that never happened. No big shakes.

So ..... I will take it down again this weekend ..... but the order of preference is 4 / 5 flights with the Domino with the Tasman being there as a project should the weather beat us.

The Tasman is still to be linked to the NX 6 for the purpose of buddying. thats my homework over the next couple of evenings. 

from a flying perspective .... I already undertake every take off now .... fly crude circuits with a view to continual improvement and have ( lately ) been undertaking approach alignments with the runway with a view to landing.

All going well .... I would be looking for a bit of improvement on my circuits and my approaches to continue whilst gradually getting lower and lower towards a neatly aligned runway landing. I don't know whether or not 5 more flights would get me to a landing attempt but if I were to achieve that 5 flight average over the next few weeks, would think I would be there at some point soon. ..... thats the target at least. 

If I could video a full flight from start to finish ..... sure ..... it would look as rough as a rag mans trumpet but it would be my first step to completing a whole flight and heading towards solo.

come on the weekend.

toto

• Like 7

The Spektrum transmitters seem ok. 

I've only started getting my head around some of the settings and after a while of trial and error, I'm finding my way with the basics. I'm looking forward to finding out how much more they are capable of as my experience grows. I know I am not even starting to push their boundaries yet.

Always room for growth further down the line as experience and skill levels progress. For now, I'm happy just getting into the air ...... and returning to terra firma ....... in one piece. :classic_laugh:

Toto

• Like 2

Well .....

The week is marching on ... Wednesday already. I'm not ready for the shed yet as the tasks I have to do can be pretty much managed over Thursday and Friday nights in readiness for whatever Saturday throws at me weather wise. Battery charging... both packs and transmitters I prefer to do the night before if possible. As I have no other plans for Friday night ..... batteries it is.

Of course I am hoping for flying weather but given what's going on at the moment storm wise, making it to the field might just be achievable. :classic_laugh:

So .... I'm going on the same basis as last week ..... Domino if flying permits ...... Tasman as a stand in project should be be contained indoors in the site hut 

Nothing more to report.

Toto

• Like 2

Ok ......

So the weather is currently holding out. Nothing of concern on my doorstep so far ..... but as they say ...... what a difference a day can make .... so I'll wait for the shout. It could be flying, it could be in the hut working on models ..... it maybe nowt.

I'm at the ready for finishing of my charging and TX programming anyway. Fingers crossed I'll be taking in some air time.

Watch this space.

Toto

Which forecast are you using Toto? All the ones I use have got it blowing a hooley over the weekend, 20mph plus base with gusts up to double that, though it looks like the probability of rain is reduced compared to the forecasts earlier in the week.

I'm on the " look out the window and judge for yourself " forecast.

Things are great here at the moment. I tend to go with whatever my instructor says as is decisions have been PDS up until now. :classic_laugh:

The thing is ....... there is no wind, rain or snow in the club cabin ..... :classic_laugh: that'll do for me if all else fails. It also means that if there is a quick break in any bad weather, you are in position to take advantage of it. Much better than sitting around the house waiting for SWMBO to fill my day. :classic_laugh:

I'm up for anything.

Toto

Edited by toto
  • Like 1

Its official ..... weekend cancelled.......

20mph winds tomorrow and 41mph winds on Sunday.

Looks like I will be confined to the shed this weekend. ...... booooooo. :classic_laugh:

I'm away to drown my sorrows with my mate John Smith. :classic_sad:

Toto

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

OK,

What will this weekend bring. ..... a bit wind forecast for today I believe so let's hope it blows itself out by Saturday. Too many gaps in my flying time. 

Haven't been in the shed at all really so still got the re-binding of the NX6 to the NX8 to do yet and the batteries to charge etc. ..... fingers crossed.

Toto

• Like 1

Are you Self employed, is there no flexibility with your work in the week.

For the last 10 yrs I plan around the weather and try and have either short days or days off if a nice flying day comes up. Then if needed when weather was bad I would work longer days and maybe weekends.

• Like 1

Medium term forecast is dreadful for most of Scotland - no sign of a flyable day through to the middle of next week, when the rain takes over from the extremely strong winds. It's been the worst spell of windy weather that I can remember in a decade. The only thing flying today are wheelie bins and trampolines. The contrast with flat calm on Monday couldn't be more striking, unless volcanic bombs dropping from the sky were involved.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Learner said:

Are you Self employed, is there no flexibility with your work in the week.

For the last 10 yrs I plan around the weather and try and have either short days or days off if a nice flying day comes up. Then if needed when weather was bad I would work longer days and maybe weekends.

Toto needs his instructor to be available, and his club rules won't allow him to fly solo I believe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, GrumpyGnome said:

Toto needs his instructor to be available, and his club rules won't allow him to fly solo I believe.

Instructor may be available midweek, the lucky some are retired I believe and fly nearly every day😉

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

Medium term forecast is dreadful for most of Scotland - no sign of a flyable day through to the middle of next week, when the rain takes over from the extremely strong winds. It's been the worst spell of windy weather that I can remember in a decade. The only thing flying today are wheelie bins and trampolines. The contrast with flat calm on Monday couldn't be more striking, unless volcanic bombs dropping from the sky were involved.

Opposite for us down South, tomorrow looks the best day this year so far (at the moment) 

I am self employed but out of contract at the moment. My last temp contract finished at Christmas and I am currently looking for my next role. January is a notoriously crap month for recruitment so things are quiet although I do have some leafs at the moment I'm chasing up .... fingers crossed.

When I am  busy its on a Monday to Friday basis so can't really just suit myself for taking time out unfortunately.

I'm stretching will improve eventually. :classic_biggrin:

Toto

• Like 1

Well .......

No flying tomorrow. Although a bit sunshine reported ..... the dreaded gutted winds of 20 mph and more will be present. A quick call to my mentor confirms that tomorrow will only be crying :classic_sad: ..... and no flying :classic_sad:.

I'm away to have a wee tantrum to myself ..... throw the toys out of the pram ...... and then .... pick myself up with a John Smiths.

I also have yet another minor reorganisation of the shed to do toymaker way to facilitate the assembly of another of my foaming. ..... that will cheer me up a bit. I'll need to go to B and Q to pick up some more dexion brackets and some pipe insulation to accommodate.

It's also my birthday so I get my choice of a birthday tea ..... chippie, Chinese, Indian, pizza, kebab etc. Maybe tomorrow won't be so bad after all..

Toto

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toto said:

Well .......

No flying tomorrow. Although a bit sunshine reported ..... the dreaded gutted winds of 20 mph and more will be present. A quick call to my mentor confirms that tomorrow will only be crying :classic_sad: ..... and no flying :classic_sad:.

I'm away to have a wee tantrum to myself ..... throw the toys out of the pram ...... and then .... pick myself up with a John Smiths.

I also have yet another minor reorganisation of the shed to do toymaker way to facilitate the assembly of another of my foaming. ..... that will cheer me up a bit. I'll need to go to B and Q to pick up some more dexion brackets and some pipe insulation to accommodate.

It's also my birthday so I get my choice of a birthday tea ..... chippie, Chinese, Indian, pizza, kebab etc. Maybe tomorrow won't be so bad after all..

Toto

Hope you have a great birthday tomorrow Toto and many more of them.  

• Like 1

Thank you kind Sir.

I've just been accosted into going out for a beer ( with my best man and his brothers ) to watch the Scotland and Wales rugby match later on tomorrow ..... so it's shed time then beer time. 

I'm sure it will be a great day.

But for now ..... its off to the shed.

Cheers

Toto

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Arthur Harris said:

Happy birthday toto! Just a thought- as Rich Griff suggested (I think, there are a lot of pages in this thread!), if you have winds and hills, a simple R/E slope soarer will give you a lot of flying time. (If you have the confidence, ailerons as well).

Toto has said, multiple times, that he is not currently wanting to divert his attention into slope soaring. No matter how many times he has said this, the message does not seem to be getting through. Toto is already spread pretty thin, with multiple models on the go, across a couple of clubs and multiple instructors and it really isn't helping to keep on repeating the same thing again and again, encouraging him to make further inroads into his limited available flying time.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

Toto has said, multiple times, that he is not currently wanting to divert his attention into slope soaring. No matter how many times he has said this, the message does not seem to be getting through. Toto is already spread pretty thin, with multiple models on the go, across a couple of clubs and multiple instructors and it really isn't helping to keep on repeating the same thing again and again, encouraging him to make further inroads into his limited available flying time.

Fair enough. I didn't realise this, having only skim read. I just thought it might help him get some flying time amongst his other activities.

• Thanks 1