First taste of the sky

toto

Well, 

Another weekend over and no hobby based activities managed. Mothers day and some domestic tasks were the best that could be conjured up.

Packing an overnight bag for a visit to Sellafield in Cumbria to kick off a new contract so some tactical items being packed into my essential overnight items.

1. Model Aircraft Precision Aerobatics ..... by none other than our Peter Jenkins.

2. Building & Flying Radio Controlled Model Aircraft ..... by David Bonnington

That should keep me out of bother whilst I enjoy a beer at the hotel bar tomorrow night. ( Norman Nae Mates ).

Given that the possibility of flying is unreliable at best ..... SWMBO  has picked up on this ...... as I feared she might ..... and has started to hallouscenate about items like ...... paint brushes ..... new carpets ..... and a new suite...... disaster.

The only upside of this is the potential for brownie points and hobby tokens. At least if I get some of these domestic chores out the way now ..... it should leave future weekends free for flying when we should ..... supposedly ....... have better weather prospects and lighter nights. I guess I have to take something positive from that.

Oh well ..... back to packing for now.

Toto

• Thanks 2

Toto, life is a measure of planning time, and reward, and of course creative thinking. Life has too few hours, it a fact, as an Irishman would wisely say, “Can’t cure, endure”

Now winter in the UK is when you pull your weight, earn and store brownie points. Creative thinking, the laminated knife blocks I made her. Crowning glory, her new VW Transporter hippy Europe explorer, boat hauler. Also has removable quarter scale fully rigged biplane racks. 

• Like 2

Another period of absolute inactivity this weekend ...... and .... next weekend as well.

I got a shout for today but couldn't make it. Domestics and next weekend .... a small family gathering. 

Oh well ...... back in the saddle at some point I suppose.

Until then ....

Toto

Hi Toto, SWMBOs can be a wee problem. As you're sort of new to all this, a few tips

You, as a surveyor must know that thing that tradesmen do when asked to give an estimate. They sort of shake their heads, and inhale through their teeth; 'Its going to be difficult' they say, and take ages. You must learn this.

SWMBOs don't understand how long things take, so you can vanish into your cave for many hours to sort things out. Tell her that your cleaning brushes, sharpening tools, making bits that are essential to the work. This keeps mine happy for hours on end.

Also make up an audio file with drilling, hammering, sanding and general DIY sounds. You can play this while you fettle your latest toy; and enjoy a wee dram.

We all do this stuff, and mostly SWIMBO's can be kept well under control

ernie

• Haha 1

Well ..... very quiet weekend with a family get together.

Hopefully if all the gods approve .... there will be some flying next weekend. I've started the count down.

Fingers crossed.

Toto

Well it's the easter weekend and I've been more or less forced to take it as a holiday. Could have done without that after having the best part of three months out of work. Never mind, let's wait and see if we get the green light for tomorrow. 

A timely phone call to my mentor to see if I need to visit the shed tonight on battery checking / charging duties. I'm breaking into a bit of a sweat as the dreaded emulsion and Gloss paints were bought last weekend. New suite arrives in a few weeks so time is running out before the decorating gods take over. ..... I must have done something seriously bad in a past life. 

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Toto

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

It's on ......

Telephone call and email to confirm. As well as getting the chanceof a flight ( which is great in itself ) I get the chance to see the 2.3m span Savage Bobber in the flesh as my mentor has just got his almost flight ready.

So its the shed tonight on battery charging duties. ...... 

Toto

• Like 1

Forecast looking great for Saturday and Sunday.

Limited with plane selection though as I'm using my backup/emergency transmitter which isn't multi-protocol.

After I get my main radio (TX16S) back in service, I'll look for a better backup....

• Like 2

And ..... here we are .... in the shed.

P1120681.thumb.JPG.07e73f1620505438c017466e30d52703.JPG

Batteries are going on charge ......

four of these bad boys for the cub ( only one needing charged as the other three are at 96% )

P1120687.thumb.JPG.743416d6081ab67f3c4ce701e4137be0.JPG

and here it is in storage awaiting transportation to the car in the morning ...

P1120682.thumb.JPG.3a9142137e043170806ae56157c283a9.JPG

and four of these ( for the twin Otter ) ..... which are all getting a charge.

P1120688.thumb.JPG.0b8fd0f07e975c6b522c88e152f959a4.JPG

and here it is awaiting dismantling .....

P1120683.thumb.JPG.928d7739d304c1862ab3c5555367ab97.JPG

I also have four of these but they will not be going tomorrow .....

P1120686.thumb.JPG.0fe1217c5ef33a00125e64699e3d0e52.JPG

The 4800's will be good enough for a maiden ( if it happens ). The twin Otter ( from memory ) is not hooked up to the buddy system so my Mentor can give it a quick test flight if we get time. It might be that it only gets a going over on the ground to see that I have set it up right. Depends on time.

More later ....

toto

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, toto said:

And ..... here we are .... in the shed.

P1120681.thumb.JPG.07e73f1620505438c017466e30d52703.JPG

Batteries are going on charge ......

four of these bad boys for the cub ( only one needing charged as the other three are at 96% )

P1120687.thumb.JPG.743416d6081ab67f3c4ce701e4137be0.JPG

and here it is in storage awaiting transportation to the car in the morning ...

P1120682.thumb.JPG.3a9142137e043170806ae56157c283a9.JPG

and four of these ( for the twin Otter ) ..... which are all getting a charge.

P1120688.thumb.JPG.0b8fd0f07e975c6b522c88e152f959a4.JPG

and here it is awaiting dismantling .....

P1120683.thumb.JPG.928d7739d304c1862ab3c5555367ab97.JPG

I also have four of these but they will not be going tomorrow .....

P1120686.thumb.JPG.0fe1217c5ef33a00125e64699e3d0e52.JPG

The 4800's will be good enough for a maiden ( if it happens ). The twin Otter ( from memory ) is not hooked up to the buddy system so my Mentor can give it a quick test flight if we get time. It might be that it only gets a going over on the ground to see that I have set it up right. Depends on time.

More later ....

toto

Thats a nice looking plane Toto and its a twin also.   It should fly great.  

Hi Aidan,

with a bit of luck ..... tomorrow will reveal all. 😄

It's good to have a realistic chance of a flight or two again. Things are on the up.

cheers buddy

Toto

• Like 1

12 hours ago, toto said:

Hi Grumpy ..... whats the backup that you are using .... and what choice of model does it give you.

toto

A FlySky FS-i6 (10 channels), which is usually just used on Phoenix sim. I only have 4 FlySky receivers, and one is embedded quite deeply in my P47, so just three available. Ready for the weekend I have my Double Trouble, my Spacewalker, and my baby Arrows Hawk - all nice and simple. There are a few of these transmitters in the club, and although it feels tiny and toy-like, they seem really reliable.

Unsure whether to repair or replace my TX16S. It's charging circuit is broken (my fault), the handle is broken (cats fault) and I think the RF board us goosed (see thread about EdgeTX logs). Parts for all that will cost close to the cost of a new one - if I can get parts for my MK1 version..

I have borrowed an old Taranis X9D+, fjxed the ariel, added my irx4+, and updated it to EdgeRX, so may use that for a while, once I've given it a thorough range checking and replaced the rtc battery. I'd have the fancy programming capability of my TX16S, so could use all my models, but without that beautiful colour touch screen....

Anyway, here's to some nice flying weather!

Edited by GrumpyGnome

Sounds like you have covered the bases. 

As far as the Flysky FS-16 goes , I'm not familiar with it but toy like or not ...... reliability is king. 

The repair scenario sounds a bit cost ineffective so I get the dilemma. 

I'm all charged up and ready to go. The sun is out so looking good. Just need to get my bones moving, feed myself, pack the car and I'm good to go. Another one of my indecision has kicked in though. I've decided not to bother packing the Twin Otter. I think I'll just concentrate on getting as many full flights out of the Supercub today.

I'm really hoping to be able to pick things up quickly and get a chance of a first landing today. Maybe wishful thinking though. :classic_laugh:

Have a great day 

Toto 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Great day ....... mission accomplished.

4 flights today. Quite strong crosswinds across the runway so not taking off in the usual manner. Slow start to get the steering straight allowing for the wind. Gradual increase in speed, rear end lifts then apply more throttle and elevator .....up and away.

Learning to compensate the ailerons in order to keep the plane flying straight ( circuit wise ) albeit with the model at a 45 degree attitude due to the wind.

Two windy but decent flights ..... then the wind all but disappeared. ..... then the fun began..... flight 3 ..... good take off, some decent circuits then my 5 minute alarm sounded ....... let's try lining up the approach ... all going well ...... let's just go for my first landing ....... no problem... a little hard as I had not flared out well enough but no dramas, no damage ..... and we are down.

Flight 4 .... more of the same ... successful take off ...... some decent circuits ..... and a better softer landing. Much better. A little jolt of over steer when I landed but corrected with no issues.

Definite progress. I would have appeared to have completed the whole loop today twice from start to finish ......... over the moon and finished today on a huge high. I'll sleep well tonight. 

Toto

Edited by toto
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, toto said:

Great day ....... mission accomplished.

4 flights today. Quite strong crosswinds across the runway so not taking off in the usual manner. Slow start to get the steering straight allowing for the wind. Gradual increase in speed, rear end lifts then apply more throttle and elevator .....up and away.

Learning to compensate the ailerons in order to keep the plane flying straight ( circuit wise ) albeit with the model at a 45 degree attitude due to the wind.

Two windy but decent flights ..... then the wind all but disappeared. ..... then the fun began..... flight 3 ..... good take off, some decent circuits then my 5 minute alarm sounded ....... let's try lining up the approach ... all going well ...... let's just go for my first landing ....... no problem... a little hard as I had not flared out well enough but no dramas, no damage ..... and we are down.

Flight 4 .... more of the same ... successful take off ...... some decent circuits ..... and a better softer landing. Much better. A little jolt of over steer when I landed but corrected with no issues.

Definite progress. I would have appeared to have completed the whole loop today twice from start to finish ......... over the moon and finished today on a huge high. I'll sleep well tonight. 

Toto

Thats brilliant Toto and it will only get better from here on in.   Happy Easter and Happy Landings.  

• Like 1

Brilliant news Toto - you really deserved a good day flying today and I'm made up that you experienced the joy of a good landing =it's the best feeling in flying for me. You've earned a debrief with your pal John Smith this evening. 👍😎

• Like 2