All the gear & no idea

Mr Fro

Hi

At these early ages , this kind of hobby will fascinate them. Let's face it, it's a very exciting thing, even to us adults. Just keep drip feeding it into them and even tie it into family weekend type experiences. I'm sure they'll love it.

As far as clubs being regimented goes, I speak from a different hut similar experience after having been involved in the model railway hobby for the last 10 to 12 years. The issue is the lack of new blood into both these hobbies. Let me qualify that by first adding that due to the potentially dangerous nature of the hobby, rules and best practice must be followed. However the hobby can be seen as being a pit stuffy and cleecky.

Most older members, set in their ways and not open to change. They also tend to hold sway which prevents clubs from modernising and rejuvenating. This of course is just my experience of model railways mainly but the similarities in the demographics are very obvious.

I think in order to start off in a club, you have to accept the regime and just enjoy the flying, any training and help on offer and immersing yourself in the hobby. After all, the club will have survived many years prior to you having arrived. With a bit of luck you'll find one or two like minded folks who share you're interests and ..... hey presto..... your own splinter group. :classic_biggrin:

I think the best chances of success are in joining a club. It could get pretty lonely and boring after a while if you try to go it alone.

Cheers

Toto

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

The BAE 146 is a rare and highly sought after model which would command a very good price if put up for sale on eBay, BMFA classified or one of the FB selling sites.

BMFA have had a couple of well publicised auctions recently with hundreds of engines and kits sold. Might be worth considering if you plan to part with your HS 146 or anything else for that matter,  when the next one comes up. If you join the BMFA you will get all the info on forthcoming events like the auctions as well registering to get your operator ID.

4 hours ago, David Davis said:

Mr Fro, concerning the model in the loft which your wife considers to be too scruffy to sell, some of us are capable of restoring battered old models. I bought a partly-built Magnatilla on eBay and finished it.  I also turned this utter dross into a flyable Wot 4.

Hi David,

I doubt the one in the loft is in poor shape but then again I've not actually seen it. My wife's thought on breaking it up was based on the assumption that no-one would want it. There's a rumour that it might emerge in to the light of day next weekend so we'll see what we see!

• 4 months later...

Mr Fro,

If you want to sell those models and engines which are pictured on the previous page you will have no difficulty in selling them because apart from the BAE Hawk, they are all sought-after items in good condition.

If you want to assemble the models, as you suggested in the thread "The Big Question," please go ahead but once you have assembled the models get an experienced modeller to check them over and to fly them for you, assuming that you want to see them in the air.

If you want to fly them yourself, please join a club and learn to fly on a trainer designed for the job. None of the models in the pictures is suitable for an absolute beginner.

• Like 1