Setting up a place for a model in a TX and binding

toto

I've  I've assembled a couple of models.

1.     A Hobbyzone Carbon Cub S2

2.    A FMS Beaver

Now ... to bind or not to bind ..... that ... is the question.

I'm confused. I get that you plug your models ESC into the receiver and connect the battery. ...... get that you hold down the bind button on your TX and the light on the RX goes solid to indicate that the binding in progressing etc.

My question is ....... how does the TX know what name to store the model against on your transmitter?  

Am I right in saying you have to create the model name in the transmitter before the binding process commences and ensure that this model name is selected in your transmitter prior to commencing the binding process .....when you switch your TX on it will automatically bind to the active model last selected on you transmitter ? 

Does that make any sense ?

In the case of the hobbyzone carbon cub, once the binding is completed using the carbon cubes model reference already pre installed in the tx's memory / library, all the default settings will already be set for you ?

How does it work for the FMS Beaver ?

My rx is a Spektrum AR 631 and I'm using  Spektrum NX 6.

Apologies if I have this completely wrong ...... there are so many variances on utube and I'm getting lost with it all.

I think I need to understand the various steps and which order they go in.

Foe example, create a model in the TX library,  once done, select model as default and begin the binding process etc.

This could he one hell of a thread. :classic_blush:

Toto

Edited by toto
  • Like 1

1. Create the model in your tx

2. Set up the controls in your tx

3. Disconnect all model control surfaces

4. Remove propeller

5. Make sure correct model is selected in your tx

6. Bind per instructions

7. Check control surfaces will move in correct direction (and throttle); if not, fix at tx

8. Reconnect control surfaces

9. Repeat 7

10. Remove/disconnect aircraft battery pack

11. Install propeller.

Your tx will store the details of, and keep the bind, to multiple aircraft.  You just need to select the one you want to fly/potter with.

(You'll also need to check the control geometry - per another thread - and amount of movement as part of 7. above)

I'm also just learning about computer radios and my understanding is (with a 20 year old Futaba set up):

The purpose of having several model memories in your Tx is so that you can use the same Tx to fly several different models. The same Tx will bind to all your receivers, and stay bound to them for life (unless you change things).As each model may be set up differently (trimmed different, have retracts, flaps, etc), it is important to select the correct model each time you fly.

Some rules are general, some will be specific to your make of radio. 

I shall follow the posts in this thread with interest, as as I say, I am also learning about all this.

Edited by paul devereux

39 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

@GrumpyGnome I have always bound a Rx to the Tx before doing anything else, even putting it into the plane- is this wrong? Once it is bound, I then put it in a plane and set the plane up and only then assign a name. This seems simpler- what is your view?

I've done it both ways tbh but doing it out of the plane needs an esc or rx battery - which Toto may not have.

No right or wrong way 🙂

48 minutes ago, Nigel R said:

Exactly what I do Paul. Usually half way through building. Name a slot in the tx first though. 

1 minute ago, GrumpyGnome said:

I've done it both ways tbh but doing it out of the plane needs an esc or rx battery - which Toto may not have.

No right or wrong way 🙂

Yes, two good points. @Nigel ROnce you have one model set up and memorised, you leave that alone and choose another memory slot in your Tx.

Two other points I've learned from experience - even with a handful of models, you need a distinct name for each model- you can forget what just numbers refer to.

And second, you need to check you have selected the correct model before take-off, otherwise you will be trying to fly with the controls set up wrong. Some clubs have signs reminding pilots of this, though having done it once, it sort of sticks in your memory! 

I believe some very sophisticated radios now recognise if the correct Rx is attempted to be paired with the selected Tx model memory, so when they are both powered up, nothing happens. Very safe.

Something else @toto may not know is that it is important to switch on the Tx first, before powering the Rx - this always applies, so that your Rx gets its signal from you. 

(There is a curious exception to this, which only applies to the tiny lightweight models like the Hobbyzone Cub which come with a custom made Tx with the plane- there you have to energize the plane first, before switching on the Tx, otherwise it won't bind. Since those little planes can't cause injury or damage, I suppose it doesn't matter).

1 hour ago, paul devereux said:

I'm also just learning about computer radios and my understanding is (with a 20 year old Futaba set up):

The purpose of having several model memories in your Tx is so that you can use the same Tx to fly several different models. The same Tx will bind to all your receivers, and stay bound to them for life (unless you change things).As each model may be set up differently (trimmed different, have retracts, flaps, etc), it is important to select the correct model each time you fly.

Some rules are general, some will be specific to your make of radio. 

I shall follow the posts in this thread with interest, as as I say, I am also learning about all this.

I'm not sure about newer Futaba transmitters, but my venerable FF9, with a Frsky 2.4ghz module behaves a bit differently than my Spektrum transmitters, since it doesn't have the Model Match facility. With Model Match, if the transmitter isn't set to the exact model that the receiver was bound to, it doesn't connect- stir the sticks and nothing happens. I found that with the FF9, if you were to leave two models switched on, then both will respond to the transmitter, irrespective of the model selected, just like with the 35mz module. Found that when I hung my PSS Hawk up on the ceiling, getting ready to go sloping. Changed the model memory to another model and started checking that out on the bench and both models responded.

4 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

I'm not sure about newer Futaba transmitters, but my venerable FF9, with a Frsky 2.4ghz module behaves a bit differently than my Spektrum transmitters, since it doesn't have the Model Match facility. With Model Match, if the transmitter isn't set to the exact model that the receiver was bound to, it doesn't connect- stir the sticks and nothing happens. I found that with the FF9, if you were to leave two models switched on, then both will respond to the transmitter, irrespective of the model selected, just like with the 35mz module. Found that when I hung my PSS Hawk up on the ceiling, getting ready to go sloping. Changed the model memory to another model and started checking that out on the bench and both models responded.

Model Match! That's what I was thinking of! @toto will know from his manual if his radio set-ups have that facility. It would have saved me a crash.

Note the M in the BMFA smart checks.👍

Be S.M.A.R.T. with your transmitter.

S .... Switch on

M .... Model selected is correct / Meter in the Green

A .... Aerial secure / extended

R .... Rate switches all in correct positions

T ..... Transmitter voltage good and Trims all in correct positions

• Thanks 1

I tend to allocate a model memory to the model, then bind the receiver outside the model, just with a battery plugged in, setting the throttle trim to fully down, before finally binding. For my models it's important to bind with the throttle trim fully down, as that is the minimum required failsafe setting. That's really a function of the complete pain of having to use a bind plug with the earlier Spektrum receivers, Thankfully my standard AR620 receiver has a bind button. On some of the other receivers which lack that I'll put a short extension lead in the bind port, to make ot slightly less painful to use a bind plug.

• Like 1

Once you have found and set up the model you need to the check that the failsafe is working correctly, it's a legal requirement that if a failsafe is fitted, the radio link is lost that the power is cut to stop the model.from flying away. On the older Spektrum sets the failsafe was set on binding, so it was important to make sure the throttle was in the low position during binding, and if you had to change the throttle during set up, rebind once set up. But it maybe different on the newer sets so check your.manual.

Then test it works by opening the throttle.slightly with no prop fitted on the model, switch off the transmitter and the motor.should stop.

Edit ~Leccyflyer just posted as I was writing.

Edited by Frank Skilbeck
  • Like 1

Definitely need a proper descriptive name for each model - especially important if, for instance, you have half a dozen different Spitfires - it really doesn't work out well if you select the wrong one - that's where Model Match is a fantastic safety feature. 😬

Re the  "M " in SMART. Keep names of models easily recognisable and very different.  A mate of mine had two similar models with very similar names and got them mixedup . You can guess the rest 🙃🤔😟. Luckily not much damge to model only to pride 🤬. Its very easily done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leccyflyer said:

that's where Model Match is a fantastic safety feature. 😬

It's excellent and if you are getting no response from the model double check the model selected in the transmitter. Not like I did once thinking there was a technical issue and the bind had dropped, on rebinding the model to the transmitter I overwrote a completely different one, duh! 🙃

Edited by PDB

A while back I traded a model that I'd built. First time ever. As a result I thought I would do the smart thing and remove it from my model memories in my DX9. Biiiiiig mistake. The result was that all of my model memories were shunted along by one model - I'd select Model #75 and Model#74 would come up. In the end I needed to update the firmware to the latest version, which I did with some trepidation, as I was worried that the new firmware would prevent me being able to use some of my pre-DSMX receivers.  The nice man at Horizon assured me that it wouldn't and it didn't. There are a few extra features in the new firmware, but the most noticeable thing is it takes longer to switch the transmitter on and get to the main screen.

What I have done in the past and Model Match really helps with that is select the wrong FW190 on the wrong transmitter - my PZ one and Balsacraft one are both on my DX7 and my Flightline one is on my DX9. After taking the Pz FW190 to the field twice, without it's transmitter, I added a colour coded spreadhseet printout with model-transmitter and battery. That's on the wall next to my Lipo charge board and forms the basis for deciding which models to take to the field.

Individual and easily recognisable names are the way to go. I do get the potential issue if in the example above , you maybe have 6 spitfires though. I'd maybe have 6 different wing numbers if possible. ..... there will be a way.

Toto

Descriptive names are the way to go, for sure.

A number of things help make sure I have the right model..... 

1) at bind, there is a paring of information that acts like model match so widdling the sticks has no effect if you have the wrong model selected

2) when I select a model, my radio plays a wav file of the model name

3) my radio shows a picture of the selected model.

I don't have leccys problem as all my planes, helis and quads use one transmitter. 

Just backing up with Frank Skilbeck said about re-binding once you are set for first flight after checking for correct functioning of the FAILSAFE.  Remember that a Failsafe check is a mandatory check in the "before every flying session" check list.  The reason being that if the aircraft flies away and the Failsafe doesn't work it becomes a legal issue for the pilot if his aircraft damages property or other people.  The Law states that it is the pilot's responsibility to ensure that the flight can be undertaken safely.  It only takes around 15 secs to do this for each model you are going to fly in that session.

I once asked a Clubmate if he'd set his failsafe and he said yes.  I asked him to test it and the engine went to full power!  Duh!  It was, of course, restrained but it scared the hell out of him - and me!

+1 for model match.  I have been using JR radio since 2010 and moved from JR DSM9 (with Spektrum 2.4 DSM radio system) to an XG 11 (JR's own 2.4 DMSS radio system).  Both have model match.  I rarely take more than one aircraft with me to fly, so when I do, I have to remember to apply the M of SMART.  Getting no response from the model is a great safety feature if you have the wrong memory selected - I won't tell you how I know!!!

• Like 1