The fashion for nitro

David perry 1

Advert

1 hour ago, David perry 1 said:

Wow

If i were clever id calculate the g imposed on the driver!   

Thats a lot of expensive fuel too.

When a top fuel dragster "blasts off " leaves the line drivers are subjected to 8G for a brief time.

Edited by J D 8
spelling

As noted in dragster post above [ and I think mentioned by Jon] engine design/set up has to be a bit different [ a lot different for top fuel] from normal to make the most of nitro. Chuk a pile more fuel and nitro into your normal car engine and most would go out of the exhaust unburnt.

Back in the day, when we learnt that Jon had researched that modernish Lasers were happy on half the oil, I mixed 10 litres of pure methanol, and 10 litres of 10 % nitromethane fuel. No complaints. Ran fine, needles leaned off a bit to reflect the greater calorific value of the fuel. 

I used 10 % for one motor that (the manufacturer said), needed it in those days, and it disintegrated after a failed bunt, and the ground intervened. 

That left me when I had finished the mix, with 10 litres of methanol. So, being tight, mixed it with 10 litres of 5% nitromethane. I did not notice any difference from the higher concentration of nitromethane, none whatsoever.
I didn’t check with a tachometer, don’t own one. I operate a sea level. I have a climate about 4° warmer than the UK. 
Here ends my confession. 

A trip a few years ago (7) to North Carolina on business. I sought out the various aero clubs. Very few flying IC, some big electrics, some small including EDF. What I did love was they all run big trailers, 20feet plus with standing room plus, fitted out as model rooms, with mains hook up for charging. These were towed generally by pick pickups, Ford F150 or Dodge Ram 1500.

I work for a Texas company based near Austin. Generally our guys who are well paid, run smaller cars than you'd find in our car park in the UK (Pre-covid). Lots of Hyundais, Hondas & Kias. Smattering of Toyotas & Mazdas as well. Some have just found German stuff, generally BMW & also performance diesels also BMW. Think 530D/535D saloons & Tourings. The UK car park is generally SUVs, Volvo, Merc, BMW etc. 

In the USA the guys own a big pick up but that's used to tow the RV or boat at the weekend. Towing limits for these things are high above UK limits.

48 minutes ago, Don Fry said:

Back in the day, when we learnt that Jon had researched that modernish Lasers were happy on half the oil, I mixed 10 litres of pure methanol, and 10 litres of 10 % nitromethane fuel. No complaints. Ran fine, needles leaned off a bit to reflect the greater calorific value of the fuel. 

I used 10 % for one motor that (the manufacturer said), needed it in those days, and it disintegrated after a failed bunt, and the ground intervened. 

That left me when I had finished the mix, with 10 litres of methanol. So, being tight, mixed it with 10 litres of 5% nitromethane. I did not notice any difference from the higher concentration of nitromethane, none whatsoever.
I didn’t check with a tachometer, don’t own one. I operate a sea level. I have a climate about 4° warmer than the UK. 
Here ends my confession. 

How about your bunts, any different ?

American pickup's are daft, they are now so big you need a forklift to put any thing in the rear bed and 4x4 versions are so heavy on their little wheels they bog down if the going gets just a bit soft.

Still the off road recovery folk make a living fishing them out.

12 hours ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

How about your bunts, any different ?

Don’t be provocative. I nearly made it, I’m ok for hight, arrrrrrrrh, roll/ yank. Debris field 30 odd meters long. Even identified the stone wot destroyed the motor. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Don Fry said:

Don’t be provocative. I nearly made it, I’m ok for hight, arrrrrrrrh, roll/ yank. Debris field 30 odd meters long. Even identified the stone wot destroyed the motor. 

Now if you had a "stone hitting competition" i bet you couldn't do it again 😄.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Engine Doctor said:

Now if you had a "stone hitting competition" i bet you couldn't do it again 😄.

I hit a tree flat out in an uncontrolled dive yesterday with my 200 klm/h Novarossi powered Mirage 2000 well not really me it had a mind of its own,

there was tree bark wedged between the engine's cooling fins, what sort of prize could I win for that ?.

I do have photos of what was left, and have just put my welly's and two bin bags in the car, there is enough pollution here without me,,,

Carburetor being repaired with old bits and my lathe,,,