My Next Assembly ..... The Arising Star.

toto

Advert

21 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

Depends which way round the tank was mounted, front of tank towards the nose or tail of the carrying model?

I was thinking that some folks might expect the clunk to always be submerged in fuel. Clearly that's not the case, and depending on manouvres, not just for very short periods. Interesting, but not a problem as most of us can attest to.

I wasn't too sure if that was just a tank of fuel on top of a model or actually a " working tank " with fuel actually being drawn from it to fuel the model.

My point being, if it is the former, the contents of the tank would not he under pressure and would behave differently anyway so maybe not an accurate representation.

Tell me if I'm talking mince.

Toto

Edited by toto

1 hour ago, Cuban8 said:

Re fuel tanks, clunks etc. An interesting bit of film from a decade ago. Took a while to find again but well worth a look. Maybe not what one expects to be happening.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtbSqEtLQX4

Looks like a set up to me. There looks to be a section of solid white tube between two short sections of flexible fuel tube. Toto has the same but uses brass tube which means the result will be the same in that the clunk will come out of the fuel. What we need now is the same video but using flexible tube for the full length of the feed line, which as far as I am aware is the norm.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, toto said:

I wasn't too sure if that was just a tank of fuel on top of a model or actually a " working tank " with fuel actually being drawn from it to fuel the model.

My point being, if it is the former, the contents of the tank would not he under pressure and would behave differently anyway so maybe not an accurate representation.

Tell me if I'm talking mince.

Toto

It looks like it's not connected to an engine, so not delivering fuel, or subject to muffler pressure. However it's my opinion that those two factors would have no bearing on the behaviour of the fuel as I believe it's motion would be due to the gravitational and  inertial forces it was subjected to during the flight. Acknowledging it's the relative motion between the tank and the fuel we are actually concerned with.

Edited by Graham Bowers
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, toto said:

he contents of the tank would not he under pressure and would behave differently anyway

Firstly, not all tanks are fed pressure from the exhaust, Laser engines are a case in point. Irrespective of this, the fuel will behave in exactly the same way, in other words sloshing about in the tank.

22 minutes ago, EarlyBird said:

using flexible tube for the full length of the feed line, which as far as I am aware is the norm.

Not really, having a rigid length of clunk pipe is widely used, as explained elsewhere in this thread it prevents the clunk doubling back on itself and getting stuck (it’s happened to me!). In actual flight the clunk coming out of the fuel for short periods isn’t really an issue.

25 minutes ago, toto said:

wasn't too sure if that was just a tank of fuel on top of a model

Yes, it’s sitting on top of the model and it probably contains blackcurrant juice!

In the shed .....

looking at the upper carb valve thingy ........

P1110698.thumb.JPG.40bbcceb3e4b908a07ed475491822bed.JPG

Booooo ...... grub screw missing ( apologies for the blurry image )

P1110699.thumb.JPG.0cb8a90fbe61a0295b00c9b7affd4f04.JPG

Yeaaaa ..... take your pick .....

Found one to fit so filed a flat on the 2.0mm push rod and in it went .

P1110700.thumb.JPG.df27acdde00f76d5ea10d977e803228f.JPG

with a wee bend on the end .....

P1110701.thumb.JPG.aa74b79523be700544ab6b429374623c.JPG

measures about 35mm long and far enough away from the prop to give confidence without sticking out too far.

Now on the hunt for the lower valve .... can't see that as yet.

toto

Edited by toto

Ahhhh .... got it.

Mmm I took this out in order to attach my push rod due to lack of access. I put it back in the same way though. Just the brass nut. I hope that's not made any adjustment to the screw. I don't suppose it will matter as I'm starting adjustments from scratch again anyway.

I did tell you I knew nothing about these didn't I ......😄 I was looking for a similar doobry to the other side. never mind. Got there.

If you can get through to me ....... you can get through to anyone. 😄

thanks for the image.

toto

Hi toto,

Getting closer.....

You know what happens when adjusting the hi speed needle, taper into a hole basically.

Watch what happens when the throttle barrel/drum arm is moved.....

What is Gunnar happen when you turn that recessed centre screw.....

I can only see two pipes involved with your tank plumbing.....

Hi Rich,

yes .. two pipes .... the vent to exhaust and the tank feed which is disconnected from the carb in order to fill her up.

it was a three pipe system with a separate tank fill but my instructor changed the tank over and at that point we were operating a two pipe system. just what was available at that point.

any issues with this set up ????

toto

Now ..... In all the excitement I had forgot about this .......

P1110702.thumb.JPG.fde05d1531112699746442488f5b79c5.JPG

the area of the underside of the fuselage which had been ripped out as a result of its last " downing ". I decided at the time to just cut out the whole area as it was in a pretty bad way .

so I had to donate some thin ply to patch her back up. She has had a fair bit of patching up in her relativelt short life ..... hence the change in name from arising star to " Frankinstar " ( Frankinsteins monster ).

P1110703.thumb.JPG.3104a73fca476944c11d5aa7ee48b986.JPG

here we are. some wood filler to fill in the rough edges prior to recovering and hopefully she will be good to go again.

P1110704.thumb.JPG.e9e022e6fb37b1ffe2f746f9c278d7fb.JPG

rightly or wrongly ...... I simply used CA and clamped the surfaces together. however ..... once covered , i could put a couple of small self tappers around the edges to give a bit more strength. .... Opinions welcome. .... I don't care about the aesthetics as I think the model is well and truly beyond that state of repair now. It just needs to hold together and fly.

I have many many ( police academy here ) more beautiful models that I can ( try ) and keep in their original and most glorious states. 😄 

cheers 

toto

• Like 1

It is an issue. Fuel to the engine has to be filtered. Small engines, small jets, need good filters. 
Now there are two options, the bulk fuel bottle feed has a filter, and you are good to go, but note, the end being pulled on and off the carb nipple is subject to elastic old age, ie, like my neck gets knackered. Air leaks then result. Air leaks (in the system, not my neck) That is an unusual install, but simple, your choice.

Usual install, three pipes, pressure, fill, feed. Feed has a filter on the tank end of the feed pipe. The sintered filters are favoured nowadays. Advantage, the filters installed late in the delivery stage. 
Old fashioned nowadays, in line filter in feed at engine end. Not popular nowadays, if the filter leaks, air in line, ie more failure points. 

Air in line, bad news, can’t tune motor. Much swearing. Bottom line, fuel systems are never fit, forget. Every joint is a potential catastrophic failure point. Dirt in carb is also a cause of much swearing and head scratching. 

• Like 1

thanks Don .....

Its amazing how every little change has a potential consequence. more thinking needed maybe.

Meanwhile adding to where I just finished off .....

P1110705.thumb.JPG.b49c5e8b4114fe529ebfa76027189bea.JPG

some wood filler just to fill in the gaps.

I am under no illusion with regards to whether this adds anything else other than a smooth finish between the surfaces after its sanded down when dry. It will hopefully give a better finish to the covering.  the product resists cracking and shrinking but I would very much doubt that it would stand up to any impact damage. 

cheers

toto

• Like 1

forget ..... no chance ...... its fried my brain ...😄

B test ...... just let me get solo and head towards the A test. 

If I achieve that any time soon ..... I will award myself a weeks holiday and take my mate John Smith with me.

I feel success in the air..... 😉

toto 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, toto said:

forget ..... no chance ...... its fried my brain ...😄

B test ...... just let me get solo and head towards the A test. 

If I achieve that any time soon ..... I will award myself a weeks holiday and take my mate John Smith with me.

I feel success in the air..... 😉

toto 

Thats one of the great things about this hobby Toto.  It's a challenge all the way and that's what keeps our interest going.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Don Fry said:

It is an issue. Fuel to the engine has to be filtered. Small engines, small jets, need good filters. 
Now there are two options, the bulk fuel bottle feed has a filter, and you are good to go, but note, the end being pulled on and off the carb nipple is subject to elastic old age, ie, like my neck gets knackered. Air leaks then result. Air leaks (in the system, not my neck) That is an unusual install, but simple, your choice.

Usual install, three pipes, pressure, fill, feed. Feed has a filter on the tank end of the feed pipe. The sintered filters are favoured nowadays. Advantage, the filters installed late in the delivery stage. 
Old fashioned nowadays, in line filter in feed at engine end. Not popular nowadays, if the filter leaks, air in line, ie more failure points. 

Air in line, bad news, can’t tune motor. Much swearing. Bottom line, fuel systems are never fit, forget. Every joint is a potential catastrophic failure point. Dirt in carb is also a cause of much swearing and head scratching. 

I have run 2 line tanks using either a Dubro or MacGergor refuelling valve.  They work very well until the valve sticks at which point I replace it.  Makes defuelling easy as you just plug in the metal probe and wind the refuelling pump the other way from fuelling.

3 line tanks are difficult to defuel unless the 3rd line goes to the bottom of the tank znd requires a tail dragger to have its tail raised to defuel it.

I am a fan therrfore of a 2 line systdm using a Dubro/Macgregor refuelling valve.

• Like 2

You are not kidding.

Unless you are going to just pick up the club trainer and fly with it ( if you are lucky enough to have a reliable donner ) then you have to know and understand your own equipment. Sometimes ..... due to the learning curve ...... at the expense of getting into the air quicker.

however ..... that's the hobby like it or lump it.

toto

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toto said:

any issues with this set up

No, a 2 line fuel system is perfectly OK and the number of times you will remove and refit the fuel tube to fill the tank will not be a problem, but checking for splits should always part of your flight prep.Personally I would use a 2 way filler valve (posted that a few weeks ago) but a few of my flying pals use your method to fill and empty their tanks and they don't have issues with it.

Peter beat me to it!

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, toto said:

You are not kidding.

Unless you are going to just pick up the club trainer and fly with it ( if you are lucky enough to have a reliable donner ) then you have to know and understand your own equipment. Sometimes ..... due to the learning curve ...... at the expense of getting into the air quicker.

however ..... that's the hobby like it or lump it.

toto

When Boris Karloff played the famous role of Frankensteins monster, little did we know back then that an unknown Scottish aeromodeler would one day rise to  prominence and reinvent the monster bringing it back to life again and renaming it Frankenstar.  

• Like 1