Glow Stick Battery Change

Andy J

Does anyone recognise the glowstick as pictured below and can advise how to access the battery. End cap appears to be firmly attached so unsure if its screwed on or is a tight push fit.

Need to change the battery as it no longer holds its charge.

DSC01662 (Small).JPG

Advert

11 minutes ago, Gunnar Borseth said:

Mine was a push fit. Remember to take the plastic of the top of the new battery before you press it in. 

Gunnar is right.  I'm thinking of the ones with a larger cell inside an aluminium housing.  The Sub C cell type as shown has the steel casing of the cell pushing straight into the aluminium cup.
Pouring boiling water over it will cause the aluminium to expand at a greater rate than the steel, which may make it easier to separate the two parts.

Well tapped off the cap but no further forward as how the cell is changed. Thought the outer shell was a container for a sub C but it appears that the outer shell is the battery and the sprung lead is simply soldered onto the battery.

Certainly thinking it now will be easier to buy another.

15 minutes ago, Phil Green said:

If the problem is only that it doesnt hold its charge, ie it works but goes flat between sessions, I would try flashing it first,

it only takes seconds so you may as well try, it might save you a lot of faff.  

Too late, it’s in bits. Not too lamented

Once you have removed the aluminium housing, the spring needs to be compressed away from the positive end of the cell to unsolder it. I used clamping forceps to hold the wire. To reattach it to a new cell, the positive end of the new cell will need to be tinned first so the wire can easily be soldered. Some force may be required to fit the cell back into the housing. Be careful not to cut through the insulation of the wire.

13 hours ago, Phil Green said:

If the problem is only that it doesnt hold its charge, ie it works but goes flat between sessions, I would try flashing it first,

it only takes seconds so you may as well try, it might save you a lot of faff.  

Had not thought that the battery could be recovered,  so after a quick read on the methods available I will try freezing the battery for 24Hrs and then a discharge to below 0.6v.

Will not be applying a high charge current Paul. Thought we I saw the post suggesting flashing that a web search using that term would not prove useful. So I searched for NiCad recovery which took me first to the Battery University which suggested using the 0.4 to 0.6v per cell discharge and then to another that recommended the freezer.

No harm in trying both as little to lose.