VQ Models ..... what's the opinion

toto

Thanks Aidan,

I think the film will maybe be the biggest issue if it can stand up to the sun to well but the rest ..... lack of glue etc can be remedied when you start to assemble if you know about any weaknesses in advance. 

They do look good as the overall shape looks realistic and the finishing graphics also compliment its style and era.

The Barron and Bonnnza  are more or less one ane the same except one is a single prop qne the other a twin. You can easily see the relationship with them and the fact that they have come from the same stable.

They should look good at the field.

Toto 

• Like 1

Advert

1 hour ago, Eric Robson said:

Chris, you have added weight with the Lasers, lighter engines will require extra ballast to balance. I have 2 VQ models they fly quite well. What I can't understand with a lot of ARTF models is the desire of the manufacturer to laser cut as much wood away from the nose area thereby weakening the part that needs the most strength then having the need for additional weight for an area already weakened. I bought a Kyosho Spitfire second hand, it flew very well but I eventually piled it in, pilot error,the front end collapsed, the structure turned to match wood,  fortunately rear of the front wing former was not too bad so it was rebuilt using balsa and ply and less ballast.

I would say that manufacturers of all models now make them to be electric and just badge them Ic so the old school guys can relate to them "oh its a 40 size model" the reality is it saves them money (materials and production time) + chances are almost all will be electric anyway. even the bigger stuff up to 80 inch I would say are aimed at the electric user.

Not forgetting they are made to fly and not survive being crashed. 

Aidan, I have/had a Seagull Mosquito and Hurricane and both are well below par flying characteristics compared with VQ, in fact the Hurricane is a dog beyond belief. Ok it might be better quality but it won't make many flying minutes before its in a bin liner. IMO Seagull were good, have totally lost the plot with the hurricane and more recent offerings. If you gave me one, I would give it back and wish you all the best of luck, as you would need it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chris Walby said:

I would say that manufacturers of all models now make them to be electric and just badge them Ic so the old school guys can relate to them "oh its a 40 size model" the reality is it saves them money (materials and production time) + chances are almost all will be electric anyway. even the bigger stuff up to 80 inch I would say are aimed at the electric user.

Not forgetting they are made to fly and not survive being crashed. 

Aidan, I have/had a Seagull Mosquito and Hurricane and both are well below par flying characteristics compared with VQ, in fact the Hurricane is a dog beyond belief. Ok it might be better quality but it won't make many flying minutes before its in a bin liner. IMO Seagull were good, have totally lost the plot with the hurricane and more recent offerings. If you gave me one, I would give it back and wish you all the best of luck, as you would need it.

Thats the way of the world now Chris.  Sadly nothing stays the same for too long .  But all I can say is that all my Seagull model aircraft are top notch and have served me well for over ten years now.  As time goes on quality can sometimes take a back seat.  I'm lucky then that I bought them at the right time.  

• Like 1

I had the Duantless. It was gifted to me some years ago along with many issues to sort. Weighed a ton , found lots of bits with no glue, covering was awful sticky stuff and retracts not fit for purpose as bent so easily. Avoid VQ models unless you are a masochist or prefer building/ repairing more than flying.

Edited by Engine Doctor

5 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

You could probably get the VQ one for less than what it would cost to build, strip the film off, stick it together properly

and then recover it.

Stear well clear of the VQ Piper Tripacer. That's the thoughts of You Tube legend Model RC Geeks.  He built one and made a series of build videos on the plane and in his own words he said it was the worst plane he ever built and one to avoid.  

Well,

For better or for worse, ..... The VQ Beechcraft Bonanza has landed. On first inspection ( not detailed ) it looks amazing. But of course probably subject to the various failings as they would appear yo be known for as detailed above.

All I can do is try and supplement any potential shortcomings with regards glue and general build strength which can hopefully be identified when I go over it in more detail prior to starting to assemble it.

The covering, whilst it looks truly great ....... nothing I can do there short of a strip down and recover. I think I'll get what use I can do out of the original offering first.

I'll post up some photos later and let you make up your own minds ..... but for some .......I think they are already .... justifiably ....... made up.

Cheers

Toto

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, toto said:

Well,

For better or for worse, ..... The VQ Beechcraft Bonanza has landed. On first inspection ( not detailed ) it looks amazing. But of course probably subject to the various failings as they would appear yo be known for as detailed above.

All I can do is try and supplement any potential shortcomings with regards glue and general build strength which can hopefully be identified when I go over it in more detail prior to starting to assemble it.

The covering, whilst it looks truly great ....... nothing I can do there short of a strip down and recover. I think I'll get what use I can do out of the original offering first.

I'll post up some photos later and let you make up your own minds ..... but for some .......I think they are already .... justifiably ....... made up.

Cheers

Toto

Good luck Toto with your Beechcraft Bonanza.   I've seen it flying on You tube and it looks terrific.   I love civilian planes and I wish you many hours of enjoyment with it.  .  Is it the V tail version or standard  version? 

Hi Aidan,

I went for the standard tail. The V tail looked appealing but I wasn't sure how it would effect flying characteristics. I note that they discontinued it on the life size version so just kept to the " norm ".:classic_biggrin:

The graphics .... like on the twin Barron version are very striking and when added to the overall modern look of the model, I could just imagine myself tearing up the skies ( and probably the rule book ) in one of these.

I'll bung up some unboxing shots as I check it for any damage/ issues later.

Cheers

Toto

• Like 1

4 hours ago, toto said:

Hi Aidan,

I went for the standard tail. The V tail looked appealing but I wasn't sure how it would effect flying characteristics. I note that they discontinued it on the life size version so just kept to the " norm ".:classic_biggrin:

The graphics .... like on the twin Barron version are very striking and when added to the overall modern look of the model, I could just imagine myself tearing up the skies ( and probably the rule book ) in one of these.

I'll bung up some unboxing shots as I check it for any damage/ issues later.

Cheers

Toto

I agree totally with your decision to go for the standard version and I also prefer the looks of it over the VTail.   You've made the right choice there Toto.  

OK .... I said I would do this and there is three good reasons for doing so .....

1. because I couldn't wait to get a better look ( good enough reason )

2. because I wonted to check for any obvious damage

3. because I promised you lot i would post some piccies up.

and actually a fourth .... because the box was damaged and this had me wondering .....

P1110467.thumb.JPG.6860fcc80180699b430b0e7cb8400b54.JPG

just some tape I put around the ripped box to hold it together better.

P1110468.thumb.JPG.bca38b9b66c3dff6fe68f81df3bb01b4.JPG

and there she is ..... hopefully you can see the attraction ....

P1110469.thumb.JPG.d7b4414cffcf9f26a47aa12fa0da0f5f.JPG

Straight into the box and no apparent damage as yet .... this is good .

P1110481.thumb.JPG.31ada1025d9aa84657d2b27a8affccb8.JPG

destructions at the ready .....

P1110491.thumb.JPG.1bd34218b0d7bfdf4fecfc0e22a91feb.JPG

some decals and a sheet of black and a sheet of white cheap crappy film .... are they trying to tell us something here .😄

P1110470.thumb.JPG.2978f06e5912d8f299c261c7ecee7abe.JPG

I think the fuselage looks good .... attractive even .... 

P1110471.thumb.JPG.ff9dc6e125a60ff3b787d7c325eb3fcd.JPG

and another  ...... spot the PINK inside cabin ..... the one major thing that I think totally spoils it .... I am sure they could have come up with better.

P1110472.thumb.JPG.40cdfb7877b7814e26b5f2d6c91e564c.JPG

Tubes for control push rods etc .... one comes out of the top of the fuselage ..... I'll be interested to see where thats going ......

P1110473.thumb.JPG.bb518aa414258179a80446780f9afa71.JPG

The cockpit cabin lid comes off .......

P1110475.thumb.JPG.9f799f478058f47b6475f19ee41ab3d8.JPG

two nylon grommets to hold it in place and a little " nib " of wood that ties in at the front to hold it secure .....

P1110474.thumb.JPG.7490dfdbf469e4a0fa1b1c0f8c9dd1b3.JPG

a general shot of the underside of the cockpit cabin .....

P1110476.thumb.JPG.b01f9e311aca633318e2ec29841bfbe9.JPG

the long shot towards the rear ......

P1110477.thumb.JPG.0fa467aeff1805ea124160bf69168828.JPG

and the same towards the front ......

P1110478.thumb.JPG.cbe7ea780e97efd94bb35a4d7cd9153c.JPG

the firewall ......

P1110479.thumb.JPG.fc50870306ec71b1060c8be20579e209.JPG

The tail piece ... some rivet detail ....

P1110480.thumb.JPG.482a174a14341530bac1adfedac03c2c.JPG

the lovely rudder section .....

P1110482.thumb.JPG.65625cc69377963871c6f4ea0388b8e8.JPG

the two wings .... bound together .... I did not bother undoing them. Unfortunately neither side showed the retract opening but that will become evident once I start the build thread.

P1110483.thumb.JPG.96c58489f26bc2956810fac770aa52bf.JPG

the Simon ..... looks OK ....

P1110484.thumb.JPG.dc19e1bbd03954be40fb139d39eaef92.JPG

the clear LED light on the front of the cowl. 

P1110486.thumb.JPG.2c8457118f8bf6f7fb8fc5ad6860d981.JPG

bags of hard ware .... landing gear , wheels etc .....

P1110487.thumb.JPG.fb5f222dbe5e3ae3fd41969071e3ebf2.JPG

and screws and horns and ...... everything else you would expect ....

P1110488.thumb.JPG.db2433591b92d6189a47284d1d470176.JPG

retract opening dressing pieces .....

P1110489.thumb.JPG.250cc57ee88300ac136b045691a199b3.JPG

I think a mount if you are going electric ...... which I don't think I am ........

P1110490.thumb.JPG.94acad54b0928f64084ebb226247ba54.JPG

and more stuff .... antenna and things and stuff ......

there we have it ..... make up your own mind 

cheers

toto