WWI ¼ scale wheels for Hangar 9 Fokker DVII

Ron Gray

I am shortly to embark on an 'assembly' of a Hangar 9 Fokker DVII to be powered by a Laser 200 inline twin (I will probably start a new thread on the conversion/adaptation if there's interest). However I've heard from some guys who have this model saying that the supplied wheels are on the fragile side so I'm thinking ahead to maybe get a better replacement set. The Mick Reeves ones spring to mind but just wondering if there are others I should consider?

I remember I needed a 20mm length of 150mm tube for rims for similar wheels. I found an engineer who offered me a 10 meter length of exactly what I needed

When I explained what I intended to use the tube for, he called the supplier, told them he had a potential customer who needed samples., and thats how I got a huge supply of big alloy tube

ernie

• Like 1

I don't see any need for dishing a spoked wheel for aircraft.  The shallow side spokes have to have more tension and hence more liable to break. The stresses would be more evenly distributed undished. I've built loads of wheels for bikes/trikes/tandems and they're usually only dished at the back to allow for the space taken by the freewheel block/cassette.  You can guess which are the hardest to replace on the road and which most likely to break 🙂

7 hours ago, Ernie said:

HI Geoff, neither do I, but sometimes they are, hence my question.

you'll see from my avatar that I also have an interest in bikes, and fully understand dishing for Julian Alaphillipe etc, but not on a sopwith

ernie

I think, it’s to better withstand side loads in landing. 

Ron not knowing where or how old your kit is but mine came with a lot of the mods suggested already done, ie the wheels were already bushed with brass tube and they appear to be good quality wheels similar to the usual Williams bros quality.

I havent actually flown mine yet still final running in of the DLE 55cc and final placement of batteries etc. CG measurement with no wings is unusual but spot on. 

28 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Maybe with it's weight hot water hoses for cars, they come in all sizes.

Yes, water hose would be good and it’s also fabric reinforced. It hasn’t got the same elasticity as neoprene but there is some flex to give it a tight fit on the rim. 

3 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

20mm dia neoprene 'cord' were my thoughts.

Ok, are you in the market for a couple. Weight is weight, and less is more on airframes. Tyres can be replaced easily. 
A bit more plastic to allow a brass bush is always good.

Edited by Don Fry