Baby Jeti

Graham Bowers

6 hours ago, Bruce Collinson said:

Yes the "hewn from a solid billet" aluminium cased versions can be a bit chilly on the hands at the back end but a small heat mat and a powerbank in the Tx case solve that problem for me.

While it’s undeniable that the aluminium casing holds the cold, I don’t find it has much impact on cold weather flying as (at least on the DS16) the contact points are largely covered by moulded plastic pads.  

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to get one of the first batch of DS16s brought into the UK and had been flying Jeti for a few years prior to that with a module in the back of my much loved Multiplex 3030. I always wear fingerless gloves in cold weather so those, in combination with the plastic pads where your fingertips rest, mean that for me at least, the aluminium case of the DS16 doesn't cause a problem, even though I am a Raynaud's sufferer. It does make for a heavier transmitter though so I can see that for those who don't use a neck strap and like longer flights, the DS12 might prove more comfortable.

• Thanks 1

On 14/08/2023 at 18:37, John Lee said:

SNIP

Nexus sell 4 channel receivers which they import from Hacker & they appear to be the sole UK vendors of these (relatively) economic units. https://www.nexusmodels.co.uk/jeti-duplex-2-4ex-receiver-r4h-jdex-r4h.html   I have several in small foamy EDF's.

SNIP

I've ordered a couple of REX receivers for IC and electric however those little 4 channel jobbies seem ideal for simpler models, as you allude.

I don't understand what the statement on the Nexus site "Telemetry: Jeti Basic telemetry (not EX, showing values on the JETI box / emulation)" means.

Any idea, please? What I'd like, ideally, is receiver battery voltage from aileron/elevator gliders and LiPo voltage from aileron (y-lead), elevator, motor, electric models. Edited to add, I realise the Rx would be unable to provide LiPo voltage without a sensor - however not sure if it'd be sensor compatible.

Edited by Graham Bowers

11 minutes ago, Graham Bowers said:

I don't understand what the statement on the Nexus site "Telemetry: Jeti Basic telemetry (not EX, showing values on the JETI box / emulation)" means.

Any idea, please?

Graham,

Have a read of the linked page.

https://www.jetimodel.com/support/technical-support/differences-in-jeti-duplex-telemetry.html

I am still not sure exactly what the difference is myself as I only use the full EX receivers.

12 minutes ago, PeterF said:

Graham,

Have a read of the linked page.

https://www.jetimodel.com/support/technical-support/differences-in-jeti-duplex-telemetry.html

I am still not sure exactly what the difference is myself as I only use the full EX receivers.

Thanks Peter. It seems probable, by the look of it. I'll see what else comes back however a call to Nexus and a "test purchase" would seem to be on the cards.

The Hacker/Jeti 4 channel receiver does not have an 'Ext' port so you cannot connect any external sensors. All you get is receiver voltage, aerial strength & return path quality ('Q') value built in.

The other oddment is that you do not access the receiver settings through Model>Device Explorer, rather you set them through Applications>Jetibox which is still done over the radio link.

IMG_0097.thumb.jpg.a8f83d26f3c6f43972743181e73509b8.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

Edited by John Lee

12 minutes ago, John Lee said:

The Hacker/Jeti 4 channel receiver does not have an 'Ext' port so you cannot connect any external sensors. All you get is receiver voltage, aerial strength & return path quality ('Q') value built in.

The other oddment is that you do not access the receiver settings through Model>Device Explorer, rather you set them through Applications>Jetibox which is still done over the radio link.

Thanks John, that would have taken some working out from first principles.

23 minutes ago, John Lee said:

Hi John

The bit that puzzles me is the statement in the attached image from the Hacker site. If you download the firmware you have the choice of installing either 3 or 4 channel firmware, and the 3 channel firmware seems to add an Ext port of sorts. I take it you have not experimented with that?

It would be interesting to know exactly what that offers.

Dick

Hacker R4H 3 or 4 channel Receiver.jpg

That was news to me @Dickw, either I missed it or had forgotten. So my statement that there is no 'Ext' port is wrong! I've just dug out a receiver & peeled back the velcro where you can see that port 4 is also labeled 'Ext'.

IMG_0098.thumb.jpg.5f9dc063a2f439fb6ee0909c5b935620.jpg

I guess I should have 'RTFM' a bit better! In my defence all of my receivers are using all 4 channels in their models so I have never explored the 3+1 option.

So here is the Manual with further information, but please don't ask me exactly what it means!

IMG_0099.thumb.jpg.ae050ed3ce6c1b38bc668ef8144acdeb.jpg

• Like 1

I guess that means you can attach telemetry sensors (to the 3 channel version) but the telemetry can only be seen in the JETIBOX emulation and not displayed in the usual way. I think that also means you would have to use the old style "morse code" alarms, rather than the spoken data.

Interesting though!

Dick

Edited by Dickw
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dickw said:

I guess that means you can attach telemetry sensors but the telemetry can only be seen in the JETIBOX emulation and not displayed in the usual way. I think that also means you would have to use the old style "morse code" alarms, rather than the spoken data.

Interesting though!

Dick

The truth is out there..........

Probably won't really know until I try it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peter Jenkins said:

Graham

The SM Modelbau Unisens-E is hard to beat for the range of sensors provided from one module.  Link.  The Unisens-E can be set up to talk Jeti as well as a host of other protocols.

I've been using them for a few years and they have been excellent.  There is an English translation of the German brochure here

Peter.

Many thanks Peter, that looks brilliant. G.

34 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Do we want a separate thread for the Arrows models?

Happy either way to be honest. I think this thread has served the purpose for which I started it. I took delivery of my Jeti equipment today, so if the need arises for other Jeti topics, I'll start new threads.

If you feel the forum needs an arrows thread that starts clean, that's good too.

• Like 1

What that stuff about telemetry in the 4 channel rx means is that for practical purposes you do not get telemetry.  It does send telemetry but you cannot easily display it, you cannot record it, cannot set alarms, speak out values etc.  It can only be displayed in the Jetibox emulator on the tx screen and that is a pita to use.

The reason is that through time Jeti evolved 3 telemetry protocols.  The first is "Jetibox" which was designed for when Jeti made modules to plug into your Futaba/JR tx long before they made their own tx, and thus has no ability to link into the tx software.  Then came "Ex" and later "ExBus" which can be fully used by the tx.

I totally recommend getting modern REX series receivers so you have fully useable telemetry.

9 minutes ago, Harry Curzon 1 said:

What that stuff about telemetry in the 4 channel rx means is that for practical purposes you do not get telemetry.  It does send telemetry but you cannot easily display it, you cannot record it, cannot set alarms, speak out values etc.  It can only be displayed in the Jetibox emulator on the tx screen and that is a pita to use.

The reason is that through time Jeti evolved 3 telemetry protocols.  The first is "Jetibox" which was designed for when Jeti made modules to plug into your Futaba/JR tx long before they made their own tx, and thus has no ability to link into the tx software.  Then came "Ex" and later "ExBus" which can be fully used by the tx.

I totally recommend getting modern REX series receivers so you have fully useable telemetry.

Many thanks for that succinct clarification Harry.

And many thanks for the content you've created and placed on Youtube. It's been of tremendous help to me this past few days as I've been "learning Jeti".