Baby Jeti

Graham Bowers

Any DS-12 users in here please? If so, is there anything not to like that you've come across?

I've done plenty of reading and don't think there are any "gotchas" so this is a sort of last chance catcher.

It'd be a replacement for my Radiomaster TX16S MKII that's on OpenTx. I love it's functionality and the hand feel is OK, however am looking for something a bit more robust with greater prospects for dependability long term reliability. I have a Multiplex Cockpit SX9 that's beautiful to my taste and  I wish I could love more, however a bit lacking in the programming flexibility department.

The models I'll be flying with it will be IC and  electric  up to 6 foot span or so and 4 servo wing slope soarers. All models the TX16S copes with admirably. It's a beginner F3A model (SebArt MythoS) that has catalysed the will to change.

I know it'll be  a chunk of cash, and receivers are not "lucky bag" items. Plus the more esoteric programming functionality has to be purchased on a pick and mix basis. That's all OK with me.

The DS14 is quite a bit heavier and I don't need the extra functionality. I was chatting to a user of a 14/16 (not sure which) I met recently and apart from the weight, he commented the aluminium chassis made it feel very cold in the hand for winter flying. I wouldn't have worked that out at my computer desk!

50 minutes ago, Graham Bowers said:

The models I'll be flying with it will be IC and  electric  up to 6 foot span or so and 4 servo wing slope soarers. All models the TX16S copes with admirably. It's a beginner F3A model (SebArt MythoS) that has catalysed the will to change.

I don't have a DS12 so can't comment on items specific to that, but all Jeti Tx have basically the same software, so you will have no problems setting up any of those planes.

Dick

• Thanks 1

I purchased a DS-12 carbon model with all upgrades loaded in summer 2020. I am really pleased with it and have no concerns. I fly only electric from small hand launch models up to 25lb EDF. The telemetry is great and all my models have current and mAh counting telemetry on the flight packs so I use battery capacity to monitor flight times not timers. I also fly some thermal gliders and have been 600m vertical and 1100m ground distance with no concerns about radio link. If you are wanting telemetry then you can manufacture your own sensors based on a website called RC Thoughts. This website also has a lot of what are called LUA apps, which are small standalone programs that can control calculations with telemetry and display the info in a more user friendly was such as battery capacity by percent so every model just works on that basis. To get you started there is an excellent Youtube channel by Harry Curzon who goes through lots of the programming possibilities with JETI radios and with an accomplice publishes some excellent LUA apps.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PeterF said:

I purchased a DS-12 carbon model with all upgrades loaded in summer 2020. I am really pleased with it and have no concerns. I fly only electric from small hand launch models up to 25lb EDF. The telemetry is great and all my models have current and mAh counting telemetry on the flight packs so I use battery capacity to monitor flight times not timers. I also fly some thermal gliders and have been 600m vertical and 1100m ground distance with no concerns about radio link. If you are wanting telemetry then you can manufacture your own sensors based on a website called RC Thoughts. This website also has a lot of what are called LUA apps, which are small standalone programs that can control calculations with telemetry and display the info in a more user friendly was such as battery capacity by percent so every model just works on that basis. To get you started there is an excellent Youtube channel by Harry Curzon who goes through lots of the programming possibilities with JETI radios and with an accomplice publishes some excellent LUA apps.

Thanks @Dickw and Peter,  I'll have a look at what Harry has to say.

I did hold a Jeti Tx in my hand at Weston - can't remember the model but t was one of the DS style.

We created a model and put some mixers in and it seemed straightforward.

I'd very much echo what PeterF said.

I started switching to Jeti 6 years ago. With the launch of the DS24 I was able to purchase a second hand DS16 from one of the Jeti retailers. It was his own personal set & he naturally had to have the 24! After a couple of years I upgraded it to a DS24 for no better reason than the colour screen and extra bling. That said the Jeti's keep their value remarkable well & I got a good price for the DS16 when I sold it. It sold within minutes of me putting it on the BMFA Classifieds & I had several other enquiries before I pulled the ad within an hour or two.

The DS24 does everything without breaking sweat but I agree with the user you chatted to @Graham Bowers, it is heavy and is like holding a block of ice in the winter.

With that in mind I bought a DS12 Special Edition Carbon Line in July 2020. It has the full metal gimbals and metal gimbals, exactly like my DS24. The standard plastic gambles are fine if you don't want/need one of the Special Editions. I purchased some extra switches and moved some others around so that it is configured exactly like my DS24 - that is a feature that Jeti makes easily achievable so you can customise it exactly how you like it. 

I also purchased a couple of extra modules for the DS12. As you are aware that whilst the DS12 is useable straight out of the box some features are locked & you will need to purchase these either as part of a package or individually when you buy the Tx or later. I immediately bought the Vario feature for 15 Euro and a couple of other functions later. The unlocking is very straightforward and is achieved by uploading a key code. See https://swshop.jetimodel.com/-duplex-ds-12-carbon-gray-special-edition-2023.htm for more.

I now find I use the DS12 far more than my DS24, and pretty much exclusively over the winter months. It is very comfortable to operate and has never given a moments concern in 3 years use for 4 or 5 flying sessions a week.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Graham Bowers said:

Any DS-12 users in here please? If so, is there anything not to like that you've come across?

I've done plenty of reading and don't think there are any "gotchas" so this is a sort of last chance catcher.

It'd be a replacement for my Radiomaster TX16S MKII that's on OpenTx. I love it's functionality and the hand feel is OK, however am looking for something a bit more robust with greater prospects for dependability long term reliability. I have a Multiplex Cockpit SX9 that's beautiful to my taste and  I wish I could love more, however a bit lacking in the programming flexibility department.

I know it'll be  a chunk of cash, and receivers are not "lucky bag" items. Plus the more esoteric programming functionality has to be purchased on a pick and mix basis. That's all OK with me.

The DS14 is quite a bit heavier and I don't need the extra functionality. I was chatting to a user of a 14/16 (not sure which) I met recently and apart from the weight, he commented the aluminium chassis made it feel very cold in the hand for winter flying. I wouldn't have worked that out at my computer desk!

I have the carbon version and love it .Not the cheapest but rock solid up to now .Harry Curzen has a YouTube channel devoted to how to use Jeti which is great

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Graham Bowers said:

Thanks all for comments.

I see there are several vendors. Is there a "main dealer" as such, that offers servicing, for example?

I’m sure Jeti have a European servicing setup, but IMO the need for regular radio servicing has now passed.

A modern TX is a digital device - there is no frequency tuning as was the case for AM and FM sets, and changes or fixes are implemented via software updates, not pot tweaks or soldering in new components as in the old days. Jeti and many other brands also use Hall effect gimbals, so there are very few pots involved in such TXs that might need cleaning or replacing. All the switches are available and easily replaced too, so why would the average user ever need to send it away for?  

I don’t fly Jeti but I can honestly say that i’ve never sent a modern 2.4 set for service, and I doubt that I ever will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've bought the majority of my gear from Bernie at JetiUK mainly (but not exclusively) at the shows. However I bought my original transmitter and several subsequent receivers from John McNamara who trades as JettstreamUK https://jettstreamuk.co.uk/jeti , he is Leeds based. Nexus sell 4 channel receivers which they import from Hacker & they appear to be the sole UK vendors of these (relatively) economic units. https://www.nexusmodels.co.uk/jeti-duplex-2-4ex-receiver-r4h-jdex-r4h.html   I have several in small foamy EDF's.

All I have mentioned I would recommend unconditionally. There is little difference in price between them but sometimes their stock availability is the deciding factor. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Lee said:

I've bought the majority of my gear from Bernie at JetiUK mainly (but not exclusively) at the shows. However I bought my original transmitter and several subsequent receivers from John McNamara who trades as JettstreamUK https://jettstreamuk.co.uk/jeti , he is Leeds based. Nexus sell 4 channel receivers which they import from Hacker & they appear to be the sole UK vendors of these (relatively) economic units. https://www.nexusmodels.co.uk/jeti-duplex-2-4ex-receiver-r4h-jdex-r4h.html   I have several in small foamy EDF's.

All I have mentioned I would recommend unconditionally. There is little difference in price between them but sometimes their stock availability is the deciding factor. 

Thanks for that. All seem to have had positive experiences from their vendors of choice.  I had a brief rummage on the internet earlier and stock availability is, as you say, a factor. I'll have a proper look tomorrow and work out next steps, as I am going for it. The tip on the 4channel receivers is handy!

Edited by Graham Bowers

45 minutes ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

I've tested the DS12 and several of it's more expensive siblings, they are all great. The only negative point IMO on the DS12 is the lack of side sliders, but I have seen aftermarket knobs for the corner rotary controls which make them operate more like sliders.

Thanks for that. I'd noticed the lack of sliders, however have never ever used them anyway. Interesting about the idea of modifying the knobs - a quick search returned 3D files to print some up!

1 hour ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

I've tested the DS12 and several of it's more expensive siblings, they are all great. The only negative point IMO on the DS12 is the lack of side sliders, but I have seen aftermarket knobs for the corner rotary controls which make them operate more like sliders.

As I swapped to the DS-12 from the Hitec Aurora9 I lost the side sliders, but then I hardly used them on the A9. I bought some moulded resin levers to add to the rotary knob potentiometers from Hepf in Austria. Although they acted like sliders they were not as easily reached as side sliders and I was not keen on them. As I hardly used the sliders anyway, I swapped both rotary potentiometers for switches. Hepf now sell aluminium sliders which appear more robust than the resin ones I had.

https://hepf.com/Alu-Drehgeberset-Blau-fuer-seitliche-Potis-passend-zur-DS12

Slider.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've also found I don't miss the side sliders with the DS12. I used them all the time with my JR DSX12 for motor/flaps/spoilers on gliders, but with Jeti I now find it easier to use the Throttle stick for these functions, changing its action with flight modes. Flaps on power models use a three position switch. With all that in mind I swapped out the two upper pots for switches.

IMG_0094.thumb.jpg.0798169fdd3bc0fe0bf4f57f468e8552.jpg

• Thanks 1

Getting down to the nitty gritty now.

The special edition DS12  versions that come with metal gimbals from the DS16 would probably be my first choice as whilst pricey at a first look, come with an aluminium case, and 9 channel receiver as well as the upgraded gimbals and buttons.

One thing I've not been able to establish from reading the various instruction manuals is whether these special edition DS12's  have the facility to rotate the gimbal in the case. The DS16 manual has says how to rotate the gimbals, and the DS12 manual says it's not possible. However what's not clear is whether this is a limitation of the plastic gimbal or the case.

For those that have special editions, any thoughts please?

I'm reluctant to go poking around in the back of mine but this post in Helifreak would suggest that the metal gimbals can be rotated. My suggestion would be to have a word with either JetiUK or Jeti CZ Technical Support to get the definitive answer.

Just a random thought, if you are planning to change or move any of the switches do get one of the special tools for the job, rather than risk putting scratches on your nice new toy!

It's done. Order placed with Jetstream.

Spent an hour on the phone with John and went in to some considerable detail on certain aspects. A very knowledgeable chap.

I didn't go for a special edition in the end as they didn't come with my first choice receivers.

I decided to get my hands on the equipment and then work out which upgrades I wanted. The thinking being that some things on OTX require logic switches, whereas on Multiplex it's just built in. So I'd only be guessing what I needed to accomplish the functionality I require with Jeti.

Many thanks for all help thus far 😉

• Like 1

Yes the "hewn from a solid billet" aluminium cased versions can be a bit chilly on the hands at the back end but a small heat mat and a powerbank in the Tx case solve that problem for me.

All four Yetis at our club are the aluminium type.   Aren't the electronics identical in the DS12?   I hope so, bombproof.

Congrats on the decision, you'll never regret it.   +1 for John McNamara, who's fairly local to me.

BTC

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bruce Collinson said:

All four Yetis at our club are the aluminium type.   Aren't the electronics identical in the DS12?   I hope so, bombproof.

Congrats on the decision, you'll never regret it.   +1 for John McNamara, who's fairly local to me.

BTC

Not quite identical, the DS 12 has 1 x 2.4 module with dual aerials and 1 x 900 mhz module (the hardware is there but has to be activated by online purchase) the higher up sets have 2 x 2.4 modules each with dual aerials plus the 900 mhz module, but in my reviews I couldn't detect any difference in performance with the DS12.

• Like 1