Arrows Jets & Gyros

Graham Bowers

15 minutes ago, Graham Bowers said:

What's that little green board beside your CAA ID label please?

The model is an Arrows Hobby BAe Hawk 50mm EDF & the board is their Vector gyro.

Its settings are operated by a 3 position switch on the 4th channel & gives Off/Stability (auto wings level) /& 'Dynamic'. It is brilliant for hand launches, set Stability & you can toss the model any old way, it levels itself & climbs way. Then switch off, or if it is particularly turbulent you can use Dynamic to dampen the disturbances. Since I retrofitted them to my Arrows Hawk, T33 & Viper with scores of self launches I have never had a single occasion where they have failed to get away cleanly.

Turning to Jeti specific on the setup, I have set the Gyro Mode switch 'Required pre-flight position' to Launch (wings level) as well as the throttle arming switch (I use a latching switch) to Off. If you try & switch on the transmitter with the switches in the wrong position the screen shows a warning indicating what is wrong & you cannot operate it until you correct it. Further both the Gyro switch & Arming switch have voice announcements as an additional safeguard.

ps crossed with Martin!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Lee said:

The model is an Arrows Hobby BAe Hawk 50mm EDF & the board is their Vector gyro.

Its settings are operated by a 3 position switch on the 4th channel & gives Off/Stability (auto wings level) /& 'Dynamic'. It is brilliant for hand launches, set Stability & you can toss the model any old way, it levels itself & climbs way. Then switch off, or if it is particularly turbulent you can use Dynamic to dampen the disturbances. Since I retrofitted them to my Arrows Hawk, T33 & Viper with scores of self launches I have never had a single occasion where they have failed to get away cleanly.

Turning to Jeti specific on the setup, I have set the Gyro Mode switch 'Required pre-flight position' to Launch (wings level) as well as the throttle arming switch (I use a latching switch) to Off. If you try & switch on the transmitter with the switches in the wrong position the screen shows a warning indicating what is wrong & you cannot operate it until you correct it. Further both the Gyro switch & Arming switch have voice announcements as an additional safeguard.

ps crossed with Martin!

Thanks, thought it was probably a gyro. I have an Arrows Viper that could really do with one of those, as around half of my launches are "exciting" and some of those end up "disappointing" 😉

Edited to add, I see Arrows list different gyro part numbers for the Hawk and T33 for example. I've not found a specific one for the Viper yet. Why would they be different please, as they're all bank and yank type models?

Edited by Graham Bowers

12 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

There must be a knack, as I launch my Viper the same as my Hawk, and have never had any issues.  I do see club mates having issues but they all launch at less than full throttle, and don't throw very hard....

Wide open throttle and a walloping lob. I'm using 3S2200 so maybe a bit on the porky side?

27 minutes ago, Graham Bowers said:

Edited to add, I see Arrows list different gyro part numbers for the Hawk and T33 for example. I've not found a specific one for the Viper yet. Why would they be different please, as they're all bank and yank type models?

I have the 'Arrows Hobby Vector Gyro (for Hawk) ARRVEC-002' in the Viper. The T33 one has the elevator working in the opposite direction, so is not suitable & I have not been able to find any way of changing the settings.

40 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Do we want a separate thread for the Arrows models?

👍

Meanwhile 

1 hour ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Mount it upside down?

That should work 😀.  For me, as I already had the Hawk & T33 when I bought the Viper it was a bit of a no brainer when I wanted the gyro for the Viper to see which it mirrored in terms of setup.

I recently won some vouchers for Webbie's in a couple of Club competitions, so a visit there to kick the tyres of the new L39 Albatross is in order. For fun per £ it is difficult to beat this range of models, one is invariably chucked in the car for every flying session.

I have a T33, does not need a gyro IMO and the knack is wot and underarm launch, but accuracy if far more successful that brut force. I think that is where the overhead goes wrong as you cant feel the model pitch change in the lob process, especially if the person is trying to throw it hard. 

PS medium rate, but hold full up elevator in and that works reliably for me.

Just taken delivery of my L-39. Looks a decent bit of kit but the supplied decal sheet is rather poor so I'm going to try and make some suitable insignia using transfer sheet.

I haven't set up any switching of the gyro, it will be permanently in "dynamic" mode to give a bit a protection from the effect of wind gusts on such a small model.

I'm away for a few days from tomorrow so maiden will have to wait for next weekend at Don Valley. I'll let you know how it goes.

PXL_20230816_125318443~2.jpg

• Like 2