Irvine 46 MK4 Silencer rear nut size

PDB

Lost the nut from the rear of the silencer yesterday, my fault having had the silencer apart then not securing the nut back on properly. 😬

Nothing I've got fits, the thread diameter is 3.2 mm and I don't have a pitch gauge so was hoping someone might have an idea of what nut is needed? 

Advert

3.2mm might well be 5 BA  

BA threads are often used only in even numbers, so 5 BA is just not so common but should be available.

Might be quicker to go over the workshop floor with a hatch magnet ( very powerful - if its steel it would be found but if it's somewhere out on the flying field -no hope! ) but in the pits possibly but you will find everyones else's first!  It will be quicker to find a secondhand nut somewhere amongst discarded equip- if you are not a hoarder no doubt a clubmate will be......... 

• Thanks 1

I have just tried a 5BA tap and it just slides right  through an M3.5 nut ( very common size ) and won't go anywhere near into an M3 nut.  To give you an idea of the fit.

Actually I couldn't find any 5BA amongst my collection of odd nuts & bolts - it's rare.   But EKP Supplies make BA nuts- or used to.   Postage might be high so it might be best to buy a selection of similar nuts just in case it's not BA.....

• Thanks 1

Something in the the little grey cells think Irvine used AF threads. 🙄

Possibly depends when nad who it was made by. (OS) ?

So a #5 - 44UNF - major dia' = 3.175 mm.

https://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/unified-fine-thread.html

Again the grey cells think original Irvines were based on an USA engine (K&B) ?????

Possibly complete B.S. 🥴

Edited by John Wagg
  • Thanks 1

John W might be right -it is just as likely it could be UNF.   

It might be easier to ask a clubmate for a spare nut or to rob some piece of equipment - I found that my old SLEC stripcutter has No 5UNF thumbscrew nuts holding the blade.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...