Unwanted Travellers

Any body had to deal with the travellers, somebody left the gate open and weve been invaded, it was a lovely field but it will be a mess by the time they go. I dont suppose the gate will be there anymore either.

We rent the field from the council so I dont expect them to get off their backsides for some time.

Sad

Glenn

• Sad 2

I have been in a few clubs where the Spanish guitar players seem to like camping on, I have seen "S" shaped chicanes, so only cars can navigate through with massive half buried rocks do a good job, the odd overhead height limiting barrier, although they all seem to have battery powered angle grinders.

Forgot, muck spreading is worth it, and it makes the grass grow, ask your local farmer.

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon
muck
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Glenn Stevenson said:

Any body had to deal with the travellers, somebody left the gate open and weve been invaded, it was a lovely field but it will be a mess by the time they go. I dont suppose the gate will be there anymore either.

We rent the field from the council so I dont expect them to get off their backsides for some time.

Sad

Glenn

This happened at my club quite a few years ago now (before my time as a member). We also rent the field from the local council and as far as I know all representations had to be via them. Took a while for the legal eagles to sort it out, and once they'd gone, the clean up bill was considerable (not sure if the club footed all, or part of this).

Security was increased (better lock on gate, extra security bollard (you know, the unlockable fold down thingy's). Biggest take home is LOCK THE GATE.

Make yourselves a nuisance at the council to speed things along would be my advise.

Kim

Edited by Kim Taylor
  • Like 1

Council will almost certainly have a “Traveller” (dreadful euphemism) liaison officer.   Camp on his case and get all the ward councillors on board too as they may have some clout with the council officers.   Talk to BMFA, they may well have some experience here.

Unfortunately, the industry standard remedies, including muckspreaders as above, turning up with a JCB and starting to dig a trench across the gate mouth, having a whip round locally to bung them enough to get shot, are highly unlikely to be viable where a local authority is concerned.

A standard trick is to cut off the lock in the dead of night, then when the convoy pitches up the next day, they have a defence to charges of forcing entry.

Very best of luck and perhaps keep us posted as these episodes tend to recur.

BTC

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator
Removed euphamism which is regarded as offensive

We rent from the council, lease is explicit, your problem your responsibility, some kind people cut our chain and dumped us £2590s worth of asbestos waste.

Law for removing "kind people" got redone not long back, injuctions are quicker to obtain nowadays, give council earache, you may get lucky n they'll clean up.

• Like 1