A first timers attempt at a Tony Nijhuis Sky 40 for beginners

toto

As mentioned in another post, I have just purchased a Tony Nijhuis Sky 40.

I had been looking for a first kit to take me beyond a basic ARTF type assembly without pushing my skills to far and possibly risking complete failure.

I bought one of Lindsay Todd's Kestrels but on browsing the internet / Utube, I came across an excellent step by step build on the Sky 40 by an Icelandic gentleman and was automatically hooked by both the models apparent straightforward build process and the comprehensive coverage of the build.

For those who wish to see his build coverage ... look up

Gudjon Olafsson ..... SLEC Sky 40 build

There are some 40 odd parts to this which follow the same numbering regime as the models instructions. I don't think you will find better.

I am awaiting the delivery of the model from SLEC as I type with an expected delivery date of tomorrow / Wednesday of this week. I am also awaiting the last component of my building board from Sussex Models ( Sundeala board ). This should also be arriving this week at some point.

I'll be completing my building board as soon as it arrives but the kit won't be started for a good few weeks yet. I have remaining commitments to complete my Arising Star and my Domino which will be used presently for my ongoing flight training. The kit build is something to give me an interest whilst the flying training drags out.

I intend to use this as a blow by blow record of my build journey for what will be my first attempt at kit building. A warts an all record of my success ....... or failure.

This is intended to serve folks like myself " beginners " and will include some of the more mundane .... basic information including .... tools and materials out with the actual kit itself.

For the more experienced modellers please feel free to switch off if the thought of this casts your mind into oblivion.

Toto

Edited by toto
  • Like 1

Thanks Simon,

Sometimes the " dummies " posts may be a bit slow for some but I know as a beginner, they can't be slow or dumbed down enough to answer some of the basic questions that newcomers have. 

The series of Utube videos as mentioned above are as close as they come to it I think. I'd really recommend that anyone considering building this model watches this first before buying it.

This guy goes nice and slow and does not skip much. He also explains things at a very entry like level  .... in my opinion. Even down to the type of adhesives he is using for certain parts of the build and why he is using them. 

I don't think that my build thread will be quite as clear and as well organised as his as it's not a video but will have many photo's to try and explain and illustrate what I am doing. It may have been a better idea to simply post a link to his Utube account but for the purpose of having a permanent record created on the forum ..... I thought I would enjoy doing that more and hopefully invoke some participation from our members.

Time will tell if it's been a worthwhile exercise.

Toto

Edited by toto

2 hours ago, toto said:

Sometimes the " dummies " posts may be a bit slow for some but I know as a beginner, they can't be slow or dumbed down enough to answer some of the basic questions that newcomers have. 

Remember that us "oldies" all built our "first" kit... No ARTF back then! 

I suggest that the first thing to do with the kit parts when you release them from the waste is to draw around them onto a sheet of paper ( lining paper from the wallpaper shop ) noting the thickness and grain direction.    Then you can make replacement parts for repairs or even make a complete new fuselage etc.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, toto said:

As mentioned in another post, I have just purchased a Tony Nijhuis Sky 40.

I had been looking for a first kit to take me beyond a basic ARTF type assembly without pushing my skills to far and possibly risking complete failure.

I bought one of Lindsay Todd's Kestrels but on browsing the internet / Utube, I came across an excellent step by step build on the Sky 40 by an Icelandic gentleman and was automatically hooked by both the models apparent straightforward build process and the comprehensive coverage of the build.

For those who wish to see his build coverage ... look up

Gudjon Olafsson ..... SLEC Sky 40 build

There are some 40 odd parts to this which follow the same numbering regime as the models instructions. I don't think you will find better.

I am awaiting the delivery of the model from SLEC as I type with an expected delivery date of tomorrow / Wednesday of this week. I am also awaiting the last component of my building board from Sussex Models ( Sundeala board ). This should also be arriving this week at some point.

I'll be completing my building board as soon as it arrives but the kit won't be started for a good few weeks yet. I have remaining commitments to complete my Arising Star and my Domino which will be used presently for my ongoing flight training. The kit build is something to give me an interest whilst the flying training drags out.

I intend to use this as a blow by blow record of my build journey for what will be my first attempt at kit building. A warts an all record of my success ....... or failure.

This is intended to serve folks like myself " beginners " and will include some of the more mundane .... basic information including .... tools and materials out with the actual kit itself.

For the more experienced modellers please feel free to switch off if the thought of this casts your mind into oblivion.

Toto

I'm excited about this project of yours Toto.  I look forward very much to each stage of the build.  I've never ever built a plane in my life, just all arfs.  That's why I'm so excited.  I think you are doing the right thing for sure.  It will give you an added interest to the hobby and will fill in all those long dark winter nights for you and I think you will grow to love it .  

Hi Aidan,

Maybe why I don't get too upset with the lack of stick time ....... there is always something else you can do to keep you interested.

I'm trying to be realistic ...... if flying time was a bit lacking when we had light on our side, what will it be like in the dark nights ?

I'll be busy and motivated.

looking forward to it.

toto

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, toto said:

Hi Aidan,

Maybe why I don't get too upset with the lack of stick time ....... there is always something else you can do to keep you interested.

I'm trying to be realistic ...... if flying time was a bit lacking when we had light on our side, what will it be like in the dark nights ?

I'll be busy and motivated.

looking forward to it.

toto

Absolutely Toto.   When you start the building process, your mind will be nicely distracted from the lack of daylight and flying time.  Looking at it this way, you could say that when you do get around to a bit of flying and you are already underway with the construction of your first kit, you will be enjoying the best of both worlds.  

Hi Toto 

I have been reading all your threads and have enjoyed doing so.

I shall follow this one with much interest and am sure you will do a splendid job.  

Good luck with the stick time and keep at it, as said by others it is a great hobby. 

Regards Tony J

• Like 2

OK ..... so ..... the tools of the trade ...... I'll emphasise ...... some needed ..... some .... nice to have.

Starting with adhesives and sundries ......

P1110782.thumb.JPG.3241b8ab74ce9ae63146007bc2cb765d.JPG

wood glue .... any one will do ....

P1110787.thumb.JPG.25f0da3bc9ec318a7a60e56fcd123e18.JPG

Thick and thin CA with an accelerator ....

P1110783.thumb.JPG.8e277c011ac97de16814986b56dacf14.JPG

30 minute expoxy .....

P1110786.thumb.JPG.2b966d8341c94e05d2e27e6bbaf9043d.JPG

5 minute epoxy ..... with care if you have it ......

P1110784.thumb.JPG.16c122283dd0a01be01cf37a6841fd0a.JPG

wood filler .... possibly .... 

P1110785.thumb.JPG.8eb2a8427bc45643d3d68af4f8493c18.JPG

clear packaging tape .... for holding larger pieces together ..... fuselage sides ...... control surfaces ....... whilst applying CA etc.

Do you need them all ...... No. the determining factor ..... in some cases will be the speed of the build ...... in other words drying time although Epoxy is totally recommended for some elements for example .... the fire wall. The Icelandic chap that I followed explained why he was using what he was using and where ..... I would recommend watching his Utube video the address for which I have included in my original post. .... then .... you decide what is necessary ..... and what is a nice to have.

moving on to tools ..... and this can vary depending on how flexible you are prepared to be and of course ..... what you already own. This is where I have went a bit overboard as there are various power tools which you will see that are a VERY nice to have. they may never spring into action at all ..... but ..... I have them.

to start with ..... some of the essentials ......

P1110788.thumb.JPG.1c5af384cf70d8c125d1c3536162accd.JPG

a razor saw ... a square .... a mini wood plane ... if you have one ...... sanding paper of various grades with some wooden blocks will serve the same result. wax paper for covering your builders board or clear polythene. Depending on who you listen to.

P1110800.thumb.JPG.d8705aa86a629d14baee3f07c44614c0.JPG

metal blocks for holding pieces in place where needed and weighing the model down. T pins ... or dress making pins .... or anything else similar you have at hand.

P1110798.thumb.JPG.a72a6cbbc13fc5e7ba5556d9577ab055.JPG

Scalpels , hinge formers ( if you have it ... a scalpel will to the same. .... and of course .... spare blades.

P1110792.thumb.JPG.7ee948095efab448e80bebb26e188237.JPG

clamps for holding things together .....

P1110793.thumb.JPG.7502562026b0fb74dd017858c99c5f79.JPG

loads of clamps .......

P1110794.thumb.JPG.5a1259718a4dae145707a41a2bb19961.JPG

the more the merrier ...... I think you get the picture.

Now for the totally uneccesary but nice to have.

I have one of these .... proxxon mini bench saw .... handy for getting straight ... accurate cuts 

P1110789.thumb.JPG.aa1fdfeee1c9b17fd0c655cd7c117967.JPG

and one of these ......

P1110790.thumb.JPG.7d78e4ae514756c0f2b3a933dba7d4d3.JPG

a bench mini sander ..... again totally uneccesary but nice to have for achieving accurate angles etc .... probably wont be used.

P1110791.thumb.JPG.1d52e0be2a5d6dd5a7dccdaa8bc0e704.JPG

A bench pillar drill ....... although I think my Dremmel is more likely to be pressed into action where needed.

And ...... just in case everything goes belly up ........

P1110797.thumb.JPG.83f6fb78922b526ccb7d73683a5810bb.JPG

one of these ...... very handy .... universally owned tools.

there will be other odds and ends I'm sure ...... already forgot a decent steel rule and straight edge ....... some John Smiths and a packet of fags even though I'm meant to be stopping.

so ..... until the Sundeala arrives to finish off the building board ........ have fun.

toto

Hi Tony J ..... many thanks for your kind words and interest ..... I'm having a ball .... most of the time ....😄 lets not include stick time ..... that seems to be something that I can't control at the moment ....

I am delighted that you are enjoying my ramblings ..... feel free to join in and comment or ask any questions that may come up as a result of what you see.

I think this one will probably be a bit of an epic in terms of running time .... the content .... I'll let everybody else be the judge of that.

Hope you are enjoying YOUR involvement in the hobby. 

kind regards

toto

• Like 1

Hi Graham,

Starting off in my career as a sparky I've always had tools ..... the right tool for the right job ..... always drummed into me and its something that's always stuck. When I started in model railways amongst other hobbies, I just amassed things. The proxxon stuff is truly amazing tools for working in minature regardless of the medium or hobby you want to try.

I can certainly think of worse things to spend my money on .... and when I fall off my perch ...... I hope somebody else will enjoy the pleasure of having them.

an explanation of the spoon would be good though ....... I could have saved hundreds of pounds .....😄

toto  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, toto said:

Hi Graham,

Starting off in my career as a sparky I've always had tools ..... the right tool for the right job ..... always drummed into me and its something that's always stuck. When I started in model railways amongst other hobbies, I just amassed things. The proxxon stuff is truly amazing tools for working in minature regardless of the medium or hobby you want to try.

I can certainly think of worse things to spend my money on .... and when I fall off my perch ...... I hope somebody else will enjoy the pleasure of having them.

an explanation of the spoon would be good though ....... I could have saved hundreds of pounds .....😄

toto  

You have more tools there in your shed Toto than Martins Hardware Store here in Kilrea 😂.   

• Haha 1

Hi Aidan,

Tell martin I'll go halvers with him 😄 ....

I've  always loved tools. I remember the very first day of my electrical apprenticeship being dropped of at my first ever job ... The Caledonian Hotel in Edinburgh ..... a huge hotel that was being refurbished. I had a set of cheap pliers, side cutters and some screwdrivers ....... they must have lasted a couple of weeks.

I observed the stuff that my journeymen were using at the time ....... stanley screwdrivers, Elliot Lucas pliers and side cutters and Gordon grips ..... they cost a fortune for an apprentice but I bought them ........ and never looked back.

toto 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, toto said:

Hi Aidan,

Tell martin I'll go halvers with him 😄 ....

I've  always loved tools. I remember the very first day of my electrical apprenticeship being dropped of at my first ever job ... The Caledonian Hotel in Edinburgh ..... a huge hotel that was being refurbished. I had a set of cheap pliers, side cutters and some screwdrivers ....... they must have lasted a couple of weeks.

I observed the stuff that my journeymen were using at the time ....... stanley screwdrivers, Elliot Lucas pliers and side cutters and Gordon grips ..... they cost a fortune for an apprentice but I bought them ........ and never looked back.

toto 

Which goes to prove Toto that you really do get what you pay for .  P.S. I will have a word with Martin and see if he will go into a 50,50 partnership arrangement.  😂.   

Hi 

The Sky 40 is a brilliant trainer and as tough as old boots .

It goes together really well .

Having had a few over the years I'd like to offer a few comments .

It will take off and taxi with a fixed nose wheel assy. ----I damaged mine after a while .

If you have stored the kit in a damp place for a while I'd check all the interlocking tongues and slots for expansion and correct before you start .

A very good mod you could make is to add flaps .I made mine a 40/60 split of ail to flap length .Adding the outer servo for the ails is relatively easy while leaving the original for the flap servo .Have a good bevel on the flap aids downward flap movement . I used mini servos  for the ails and standard for the flaps .

To increase the strength of the vac formed parts is a good idea and I use self adhesive aluminium tape for this .

Although it is obvious step 32 in the instructions should have "add bottom 6mm .square spar ".

I,ve only flown the I.C. versions so cannot comment on the electric set up .

I use 6 off 6" white rubber bands for holding the wings on this saved a lot of potential damage in the early years and I still keep it that way .Some 1/32" ply over the leading and trailing edges is worth while .

Enjoy the build .It really is a great plane and quite aerobatic with higher rates .

All the best 

Keith

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

I don't know about the instructions but the Utube build does tell you. To be honest, the choice may be a matter of personal preference on parts of the build. I don't have any real concerns on what to use where. If I have any doubts though ....... I'll be shouting out as usual.

Cheers

Toto

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your comments. Can 6ou expand on the 1/ 32" ply comment to the leading and trailing edges please.

Does this suggest a replacement to the balsa sheet used. I'm assuming this is just to take a bit of rough and tumble.

Toto

Hi 

The 1/32" ply at the top of the T.E. is1/2" wide and runs fully across the central straight section .

The front ply is in two strips each 1.1/4" long and 1/2" wide and placed where the bands pass over .I blend the front into the L.E. with a few strokes of a sanding block .

I had thought of doing the whole centre section but that looked like over kill and what I have described works well for me .

Keith