A first timers attempt at a Tony Nijhuis Sky 40 for beginners

toto

The 1/32 ply would be over the top of the balsa to protect balsa from the rubber bands - so just where the rubber bands go around the wing.   Actually 1/64 ply would be better if you have some ( expensive stuff! )

With 1/32 the ply edges could be sanded to a taper if done beforehand.

Rubber bands go diagonally not 'fore and aft' as in many photos ( that's just for show!)

22 minutes ago, kc said:

The 1/32 ply would be over the top of the balsa to protect balsa from the rubber bands - so just where the rubber bands go around the wing.   Actually 1/64 ply would be better if you have some ( expensive stuff! )

With 1/32 the ply edges could be sanded to a taper if done beforehand.

Rubber bands go diagonally not 'fore and aft' as in many photos ( that's just for show!)

Well I guess That's The Way you Like It KC - would those be Sunshine Bands, or plain rubber?

My kit has landed from SLEC ..... 

Just had a cursory look at the contents ..... all looks good. Not looked at the plans yet but have looked at the destructions .... they look very clear. Speaking of clear, they include a sheet of polythene of some sort which I am assuming is to cover the plan when building off. Very thoughtful.

Still awaiting my Sundeala to finish of my building board though. Maybe that will be tomorrow.

Cheers

Toto

• Like 1

Hi 

Yes the "poly" sheet is for covering the plan .

Yes again Leccyflyer is correct with his clarification .

In the original RCM@E articles the overall weight was shown as 5lb 8oz to give a wing loading of 12oz per sq ft .Try working that out !!!!

It will most likely come closer to 6lb 8oz and give a wing loading closer to 32oz per sq ft .It is the heaviest wing loading of any plane I have built but It flies beautifully .

To keep my planes clean I attach some B@Q plastic tubing to the exhaust and tie it to an U/C leg with a tie wrap . Yes it is a long tube but my OS 46 FX fitted with an 11x6 prop seems to cope with it very well .I use a small screwed pipe clip to hold it on the exhaust stub .I know the engine is losing a bit of power but for the Sky 40 it's worked well for me for over 17 years .

Best wishes 

Keith

• Like 2

OK ...... Delivered today ..... So .... whats in the box then ?

My building board awaiting its Sundeala topping to arrive .... 

P1110801.thumb.JPG.24d8dd236cada4eaf649a362d1bcbeb3.JPG

On opening the box ..... you are met with this ....

P1110803.thumb.JPG.3edc01aca5725bf458bb81ad1af90e43.JPG

The all important destructions ....

P1110802.thumb.JPG.1d93b3d3210722fdaa519d7dd9516c80.JPG

and again with the rolled drawings and the plastic protective sheet for your drawings ....

P1110804.thumb.JPG.8e9933de0592308f2a19a754bd17e92e.JPG

bags of bits and pieces ..... fuel tank, nosewheel leg, ironmongery and engine mount etc ...

P1110805.thumb.JPG.a3365955d4ca0a1798d764ad6f5c3628.JPG

P1110806.thumb.JPG.3efcc7ea44faeb7955f295c67bf9f3dd.JPG

front cowl and cockpit frontage moulds ....

P1110807.thumb.JPG.69baebf2677f46f57b417c2da9bee1ee.JPG

plastic transfer window cut outs .....

P1110808.thumb.JPG.0eb5233d49d8943eca1b7a113603f3c2.JPG

some of the wood pack with the undercarriage and the push rods etc....

P1110809.thumb.JPG.855990ffc66df8c56b6a2beabe4908dc.JPG

and the rest of the timber pack.....

All came very neatly packed. I have not done an item by item tick off exercise but I am sure it will all be there. I may do that just prior to starting the build which will double as a familiarisation exercise with the individual parts.

Now ...... just awaiting the Sundeala.

toto

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, toto said:

OK ...... Delivered today ..... So .... whats in the box then ?

My building board awaiting its Sundeala topping to arrive .... 

P1110801.thumb.JPG.24d8dd236cada4eaf649a362d1bcbeb3.JPG

On opening the box ..... you are met with this ....

P1110803.thumb.JPG.3edc01aca5725bf458bb81ad1af90e43.JPG

The all important destructions ....

P1110802.thumb.JPG.1d93b3d3210722fdaa519d7dd9516c80.JPG

and again with the rolled drawings and the plastic protective sheet for your drawings ....

P1110804.thumb.JPG.8e9933de0592308f2a19a754bd17e92e.JPG

bags of bits and pieces ..... fuel tank, nosewheel leg, ironmongery and engine mount etc ...

P1110805.thumb.JPG.a3365955d4ca0a1798d764ad6f5c3628.JPG

P1110806.thumb.JPG.3efcc7ea44faeb7955f295c67bf9f3dd.JPG

front cowl and cockpit frontage moulds ....

P1110807.thumb.JPG.69baebf2677f46f57b417c2da9bee1ee.JPG

plastic transfer window cut outs .....

P1110808.thumb.JPG.0eb5233d49d8943eca1b7a113603f3c2.JPG

some of the wood pack with the undercarriage and the push rods etc....

P1110809.thumb.JPG.855990ffc66df8c56b6a2beabe4908dc.JPG

and the rest of the timber pack.....

All came very neatly packed. I have not done an item by item tick off exercise but I am sure it will all be there. I may do that just prior to starting the build which will double as a familiarisation exercise with the individual parts.

Now ...... just awaiting the Sundeala.

toto

Fantastic Toto

• Like 1

OK ..... delivered today ....... this ......

P1110830.thumb.JPG.9c627f7b95868ab4aa71a703ecfa1e6b.JPG

which consists of this .....

P1110831.thumb.JPG.4f3c0a86994c590c5fa64e94f0e1c42c.JPG

Now .... I know that the destructions called out for a .46 size power plant but my man from Iceland ( I'm sure ) ran the above.

This is quite a heavy model so I thought I would follow suit. I have a Force .46 and an OS AX 55 so should I need to ..... I can change to suit ..... albeit the .46 was earmarked for my Space Walker.

Servos not decided on yet but I do have some metal geared heavy duty servos available .... or .... I can order some standard Hitec or Futaba once I get to that stage. The Receiver will be a Spektrum AR 620.

Still have wheels to order yet and I am thinking of changing the piano wire undercarriage for an aluminium pre formed version if I can work out the exact make and model required for this size of model.

I would have like to convert this to a tail dragger but fear completely messing this up by adding uneccesary complications to the build. I think I'll leave that for another day.

many thanks

toto

• Like 1

Hi Toto, as this is your first build, rather than assembly 😁 , I would build it exactly as per the kit/plan.

If you start to change things, and should the model not perform as you would have expected, you would have no idea whether it was because the kit/plan was poor (highly unlikely given the reputations of the designer and kit supplier, and the many hundreds if not thousands of these plane that have been built and successfully flown) or the changes that you made which caused the problems!

I can't think that the 52 engine will be a problem, after all you don't have to fly at full throttle! However, the 52 may have a larger crankcase than the 46 and may not easily fit in the engine mount supplied. Not a terminal problem but just another unnecessary complication.

Whether you use standard servos or mega powerful, digital all singing and dancing ones will make no difference to the plane, only to your bank balance! Standard servos are quite adequate for a trainer.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on. Just follow the SLEC instructions and don't overthink things!

GDB

• Like 1

Hi Caveman,

as always .... thanks. 

I'll heid your words of wisdom and keep it as a tricycle carriage. Should the 52 not fit .... out of the box, I will take the easy option and fit the 46. I'm not really looking for problems. I will not be fitting flaps to this either even though its meant to be an easy enough thing to do. I'll just keep it nice and standard and enjoy the build.

As far as servo's go .... I think I will just use the Hitec offerings.

Feel free to jump in if it looks like I am on a suicide mission at any point but between the destructions and the on line video by my Icelandic mate ( he doesn't know we are mates yet ) .... things should go just swell. 😄 .... just go easy on the build word as this is a kit of parts ...... Ahhhhh ...... not formed from plain sheet balsa or / and ply .... you can get shot for less. 😄

cheers buddy

toto 

Thanks for that PDB ..... gives me choices .....

Talking about fitting ......

I tried the two plans on the build board for size. thankfully both fit.

The fuselage is the longest and just makes it with a little to spare .....

P1110836.thumb.JPG.4084ccb3a53980095adbd94b2188144f.JPG

I'll need to cut it in two to separate the section from the plan but that's not to bad, it gives just two pieces to work between.

The wing plan and sections is a bit shorter so no issue there but again will probably be cut in two pieces. one of them shall also had a section through the wing on it as well. Again ... a maximum of two parts in total. 

P1110837.thumb.JPG.0ec6505b92b508890c999daa473ad97a.JPG

happy with that.

toto

• Like 1

Toto,

Use the wire UC provided rather than change to an aluminium one.

Wire UC will have some spring to it which will help prevent / reduce damage in a slightly heavy landing.

A solid UC will transfer all the loading to the wooden fuselage probably resulting in breakage.

Have fun.

• Like 1

Hi Andy .....

fair enough ..... there is mileage in that school of thought .... I think heavy landings could be my thing ... 😄

As for the fun element ...... Oh man ...... I'm tripping out all over the place here. I've never had as much fun since the last time.

cheers and I hope you enjoy what follows.

toto 

• Like 1

I do not wish to discuss the legalities of doing so, but one thing i do is take the plan to the local copy shop. I get 2 copies made.  One is fullsize, because experience has taught me that at the end of the build my plans are fit only for the bin. Having the spare is the one to keep for future ref. The other copy i get on A3 (or similar convenient size) to pin to the wall. You're building a 3 dimensional object from 2D plans, so its helpful to be able to see the whole plan at once to assist with understanding how it goes together,  without having to shuffle around large pages all the time. YMMV.

• Like 2

Hi Dale,

Sounds like a good way to work. I could have had copies made but its a hassle getting to a copy shop in the middle of Edinburgh ( for me anyway ). I was pretty sure that I wanted a second copy though so when I found out that SLEC's prices were very reasonable ..... probably cheaper than a copy shop I'd think with the bonus that you may not get the same potential " scale loss " copying from a paper copy ...... I just thought I'd go down that road. Much easier and their service has been very good to date.

The A3 is a good idea though. I can see the benefit of that. thanks for sharing the idea.

toto 

• Like 1

Decided to go for a metal geared servo rather than the plastic geared version from Hitec.

I have ordered Savox SC 0253 MG standard servos. These should do the job admirably. They come in at £ 18.90 each so a nit more expensive than the Hitec but a good metal geared equivalent.

They should be here either by Saturday or Monday at the latest I'd think.

I'll be starting with the fuselage so not great hurry for the servos anyway.

I had intended to leave the commencement of this until just into November but .... I'm not sure I can hang on until then ..... I'm buzzing to get started on this.

My flying time at the field is at least 3 weekend away from now and I only have a bit of initial testing to do on the Domino set up so .......... I have the time and the room in the shed to have both set up ..... so its Thunderbirds are go.

I'll start of by going through the destructions .... again ...... cutting up the plans into their respective build parts ....... looking out and labelling the various parts required and storing them according to the build sequence part number for ease of identification through the build process. I'll just be doing this for the fuselage to begin with. I'll sort the wing construction out for " phase 2 " of the build.

Cheers for now

Toto  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, toto said:

Thanks for that PDB ..... gives me choices .....

Talking about fitting ......

I tried the two plans on the build board for size. thankfully both fit.

The fuselage is the longest and just makes it with a little to spare .....

P1110836.thumb.JPG.4084ccb3a53980095adbd94b2188144f.JPG

I'll need to cut it in two to separate the section from the plan but that's not to bad, it gives just two pieces to work between.

The wing plan and sections is a bit shorter so no issue there but again will probably be cut in two pieces. one of them shall also had a section through the wing on it as well. Again ... a maximum of two parts in total. 

P1110837.thumb.JPG.0ec6505b92b508890c999daa473ad97a.JPG

happy with that.

toto

Toto, the OS 55ax is my all time favourite two stroke engine and ive used a lot over the years.  You will find this engine ultra reliable and bags of power with it.   I have three of these engines and never have had a bit of bother with any of them .  I definately highly recommend this engine to anyone needing a good quality two stroke.   I have one on my P51 Mustang, one on my Tiger 40 sports plane and the other is on my Kyosho Calmato Sports 40.   Once you get your plane built and the 55ax up and running , you will never look back.     Kyosho Calmato pictured with OS 55AX

2019-09-18 19.40.52.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, toto said:

Decided to go for a metal geared servo rather than the plastic geared version from Hitec.

I have ordered Savox SC 0253 MG standard servos. These should do the job admirably. They come in at £ 18.90 each so a nit more expensive than the Hitec but a good metal geared equivalent.

They should be here either by Saturday or Monday at the latest I'd think.

I'll be starting with the fuselage so not great hurry for the servos anyway.

I had intended to leave the commencement of this until just into November but .... I'm not sure I can hang on until then ..... I'm buzzing to get started on this.

My flying time at the field is at least 3 weekend away from now and I only have a bit of initial testing to do on the Domino set up so .......... I have the time and the room in the shed to have both set up ..... so its Thunderbirds are go.

I'll start of by going through the destructions .... again ...... cutting up the plans into their respective build parts ....... looking out and labelling the various parts required and storing them according to the build sequence part number for ease of identification through the build process. I'll just be doing this for the fuselage to begin with. I'll sort the wing construction out for " phase 2 " of the build.

Cheers for now

Toto  

THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO .  INTERNATIONAL RESCUE ARE ON THEIR WAY.   FAB  TOTO

It's good that you are so enthusiastic Toto but I read your posts and some of the replies and I'm concerned that you may be rushing your fences and this'll all end in tears. I understand that your instructor will not be available for three weeks and you want to use that down-time to build a model but why the Sky 40? It wouldn't have been my first choice though I'll concede that trainer kits that you can build are pretty rare these days and I'm surprised that there is only one instructor at your club.

In your very first post you asked for the advice of experienced aeromodellers and that advice was freely given but since then you've made a series of impulsive decisions, bought stuff then asked for our opinions. Examples? Buying a Spektrum radio when no-one else at the club uses Spektrum. Joining a club where there appears to be only one instructor and no-one, it appears, knows how to tune a simple two-stroke engine. Now you're talking about fitting a 52 or, God help us, an OS 55 AX to a trainer designed for a 40-46! Will these engines fly your model? Of course, but you're a beginner Toto and have not yet learned the muscle memory which will (usually) get you out of trouble. Can you ride a bike ToTo? Did you fall off a lot when you first started? You're at that stage of learning to fly r/c. Or looking at it another way, would you advise a novice driver to learn to drive in a MacLaren?

PDB suggests that you can always throttle back but beginners in my experience freeze on the controls because the aircraft is going too quickly and they don't know what to do. Consequently the aircraft hits the ground and is wrecked or damaged, the beginner learns nothing and becomes despondent. Until you can fly, by which I mean take off, fly basic circuits and land on the patch without damaging the model, I would not fit an over-sized engine to any of your models. A 40 will fly your Sky 40 a 46 will be more than adequate. You are of course free to ignore anything I've written.

I've gone on enough but you get my drift. So on a rather more positive note welcome to the ranks of model builders. Once your Sky 40 is built and finished, perhaps in your own unique colour scheme, ARTFs will never quite be as satisfying.

PS. Are there any builders in your club? If there are, they're normally only too willing to help you out.

• Like 2