Diesel fuel

Fuzzy-Felt Bloke

And how is it possible to buy Southern Model craft fuel directly unless you live in Tonbridge or at a show, which there won't be any until next summer?

Model Technics do not exist anymore and as I said, Model Shop Leeds now mix and sell D1000 and will ship. 

I do personally use and prefer Southern Model craft sports diesel mix, but I but it once a year in bulk at the LMA Elvington show. 

• Like 1

My understanding is that when optifuel took over model technics they abandoned the diesel fuel lines as it was not cost effective to make and the ether presented a H&S nightmare. Model shop leeds then took over its manufacture as they have suitable facilities for the relatively small amounts of diesel that is used these days. 

I think they also updated the fuel with assistance from PAW to finally rid the world of the last hold out for castor oil. 

12 minutes ago, Alan Gorham_ said:

I do personally use and prefer Southern Model craft sports diesel mix

I used this for years in my engines despite it only being 20% oil vs the theoretical 30% requirement. None of my engines ever complained and a chat with PAW a while back revealed it is fine as long as the materials used are good and you dont fill the engine with sand every time you land the model. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Alan Gorham_ said:

If you are referring to Southern sports diesel mix being 20% castor then I suggest reading the label again as its 30% oil. Perfect for my old Mills, EDs and DCs. 

oh i might have the performance diesel then. I know its 20% oil either way

3 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

Sugar, seems wheelspin no longer list d1000, no worries as I still have about 1.6 litres remaining from the bulk order I got, I am sure it was from wheelspin.

Thankfully there is always model shop Leeds for d1000.

No caster in any Weston's fuels, I was told.

Weston Super Zip diesel is part synthetic part castor... super zip special diesel is 20%castor 5% synthetic

2 hours ago, Alan Gorham_ said:

And how is it possible to buy Southern Model craft fuel directly unless you live in Tonbridge or at a show, which there won't be any until next summer?

As from December 1st,,,, Southern modelcraft will have new owners and will be based in northampton and will be doing mail order and supplying model shops as explained on their website

Interesting that Weston's fuel contains castor. When I enquired all be it some time ago ( just before covid took hold iirc ) I was told that none of there fuels contain castor.

But as said that was some time ago. Must enquire again when I am closer to running out of the proper mt d1000.

The MSL d1000 has the formula list on Thier site....

At least model diesel fuel is being made as a market for the stuff exists.

Edited by Rich Griff

23 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

Nice one EB.

Any chance you could do similar for other model shop brands like Weston's etc. please, for comparison ?

You wont be able to show Weston Uk fuel formula as they wont tell you whats in it, same with their glowfuel. Apparently though they fo say that the Diesel fuel suitable gor plain bearing engines contains 20% castor oil.

Hi ed,

Since this thread appeared recently I checked for suppliers...saw on one site cans, reddish yellowish and a fuel matrics, lub was mostly synthetic but did contain 5 percent ? castor ....

Didn't make a note of the site but it may be in phones memory.

Some time ago I enquired of Weston's diesel fuel and was told by them that none of Thier fuels contained any castor ???

That's why I went with mt d1000 and stocked up...glow fuel also...

Seems I was missing informed by the lady at Weston's.....

I am sure that I bought some Weston's glow 5 percent at the club some years ago. When it came time to clean the engines outside, boy was the baked on stuff difficult to remove. Seemed to have a "clear lacquer" surface.....seen similar deposit on a deep fat frier, the devil to clean.

I wonder if they use a rape seed type oil in Thier fuel ?

Anyways mt fuels for me....