DSM2 Dx6i replacement

Frank Skilbeck

My old DSM2 Dx6i seems to have started to play up, a couple of years ago I changed out the battery box so I could plug in a rechargable 4 cell Nimh pack all had been fine, but now after the radio has been on a short while (couple of mins) it beeps low Tx battery and then shuts off a few seconds later. It's not the battery as I've tried 2 and they both hold up well on a 0.5A discharge, so it's obviously some electrical component failing. Fortunately it didn't happen while I was in the air.

But while this wasn't my main Tx I do have several models with DSM2 receivers (inc some micros) so what's the option for a DSM2 tx these days, take a chance on another 2nd hand radio (old JR maybe) or maybe a multiprotocol one like the Radiomaster etc. Anybody used one of these with DSM2 receivers. 

1 hour ago, Denis Watkins said:

Just one more test Frank, if your battery box is still intact.

Put dry cells in, for one more try, as 4 dry cells are 6 volts.

4 rechargeables are 4.8volts

Denis the battery plugged in shows 5.5v, is OK for a couple of mins then drops to 3.4v and then the Tx shuts down. Put the battery on my discharger at 0.5 amps and it it will stay above 5v for ages. I've run the Dx6i for the last 15 years on rechargeable batteries and it's been fine.

Looks like I'll have to investigate the Radiomaster Tx. 

Battery is cold, haven't checked the regulator, but on first switch on with a freshly charged battery, it will stay on for a couple of mins, leave it a while and it will repeat, but if switching on within 30secs it shuts down very quickly. I initially thought it was the battery, but it does the same with another pack and both perform fine on a 0.5A discharge.

Quite fancied one of the new radiomaster pocket radios but they don't do it in a DSM2 compatible format.

13 hours ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

Quite fancied one of the new radiomaster pocket radios but they don't do it in a DSM2 compatible format.

I think that any of the tx's that have one of the 4 in 1 modules either internally or in an external port will 'do' DSM2.

I know my TX16S Mk2 will.

So anything FrSky or similar could do it with a 4 in 1 in the external bay.

Kim

Had the back off this morning and pulled the power lead, I'd modified the original battery box lead by adding a servo plug so I could use a standard 4 cell flight pack, the lead was showing signs of -ve wire corrosion, so I made up a new one and it seems to have fixed the problem, left the tx switched on and voltage was stable with no shut off. 

When I get chance I'll leave it switched on for a couple of hours before using it again.

Will still look at the radiomaster tx as an alternative, but I really done need another tx 😀 thanks for all the comments

Edited by Frank Skilbeck
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 14:39, Frank Skilbeck said:

But while this wasn't my main Tx I do have several models with DSM2 receivers (inc some micros) so what's the option for a DSM2 tx these days,

Would it be cheaper to look into getting a few compatible (say Lemon) DSMX receivers? Rather than a whole new TX?

That said, I don't know how shiny the models are you're talking about, and whether you'd be happy with a compatible RX in there rather than 'official' brand...

1 hour ago, Nigel R said:

Would it be cheaper to look into getting a few compatible (say Lemon) DSMX receivers? Rather than a whole new TX?

That said, I don't know how shiny the models are you're talking about, and whether you'd be happy with a compatible RX in there rather than 'official' brand...

Not wanting to getting into any anti Spektrum debates but I find the Lemon receivers much better than Spektrum's own offerings in regards to range, price and reliability. Not scientifically proven just personal experience.

On 11/10/2023 at 16:34, Frank Skilbeck said:

Denis the battery plugged in shows 5.5v, is OK for a couple of mins then drops to 3.4v and then the Tx shuts down.

Sorry to harp on but this has me intrigued Frank 😀    Where does this 3.4v reading come from, the transmitter display? 

or a multimeter actually on the battery terminals?   and after its shut down at 3.4v what does the battery itself measure?

On first reading it sounded like the tx was heavily loading the battery, ie a partial short of a duff reg, but now it looks like just an HR battery feed caused by corrosion, is that what you're thinking too?    It would account for a low v shown on the tx display despite a good battery.

Edited by Phil Green

5 hours ago, Nigel R said:

Nigel, my other radio is Multiplex M Link not a Spektrum DSMx, plus.some of the.models are older micro models with built in receivers so not easily replaced.