Spektrum DX6i and AR7000 - binding & linking problems

Mark Perry 1

Hi all

I’m returning to flying after a few years break and trying to commission a new-to-me 2.4 ghz set up as above. I’ve spent a lot of time searching forums for the answer to my issue but getting nowhere. I repeated the procedure with a second AR7000 and its satellite, and replaced a connecting wire between them. Before I bin the lot and return to 35 mhz can anyone help with my issue as below?

Using DX6i ( DSMX ) and AR7000 ( DSM2 ) and it’s satellite ( DSM2 )

(DSMX Tx is backward compatible with DSM2 Rx according to Spektrum website)

Preparation

Tx off ( throttle and it’s trim previously set to min )

Rx = no battery connected

Actions

Rx - Put bind plug into horizontal slot ( BATT/DATA )

Rx - Plug charged 4.8v Nimh into THRO slot (although any other should do)

Result = rapid flashing on both Rx and satellite LEDs

Tx - from 6ft away, hold up Trainer switch (=bind switch) and turn on Tx

Result = blinking on Rx ( but no LED on satellite ), then LED stays solid on Rx (still nothing on satellite)

Release trainer switch and LED stays solid on Rx (no LED on satellite)

Remove bind plug from Rx - still solid LED on Rx, no LED on satellite

Remove batt from Rx

Turn Tx off

Bound ???

Turn Tx on

Connect Rx batt

Result = single brief flash on Rx then nothing on Rx & nothing on satellite

Not Linked ???

Help !

The last models of the DX6i were DSMX only and won't work with DSM2.

Early DX61 were DSM2,   later were both DSM2 and DSMX but EU regulations prevented import of them so then DSMX only became available,

Modern Rx will work with old Tx but not the other way round as you found.   Tx will be good but Rx will not be of use to DSMX only TX  ( thats all the newer models )

The comment on Spektrum website is possibly referring to USA spec which clearly are not affected by EU laws.

Edited by kc
  • Like 1

I should have mentioned that the DSM2 and DSMX type of tx has a section in the memory to switch to DSM2 transmission - you should look for that as it may solve the problem.   If it's the lastest type of DX6I like mine then the software has the DSM2 bit disabled - I can see the DSMX/ DSM2 changeover  section but it cannot be moved.

Thx both

The ‘setup list’ on Tx takes me from ‘Range check’ ( 9 ) to ‘Contrast’ ( 10 ), whereas the manual lists ‘Power setting’ and ‘Modulation type’ in between the other 2 options - the ability to switch modulation doesn’t exist in my Tx scroll list.

I assumed that was because of the backward compatibility statement - but from your experience sounds like that doesn’t work for my Tx ☹️.

That's because you have the later type like me -it's there in the menu but you cannot change it.    I am afraid you need to get a DMX Rx, and actually the latest ones are very small and dont have exterior aerials so are better.

The " backward compatibility " statement is possibly still correct for USA and rest of the world but not EU or UK.   Brexit didnt change that!

The DX6I is still a very useful and good Tx and there are loads of them in use so don't scrap that just give the Rx to someone who can use it.   It's probably wise to buy genuine Spektrum and if you only have one Rx then it's wise to buy 6 channel rather than the cheaper 4 channel.    Reason is using seperate aileron servos with the extra channel is handy to give flaps if needed.   Having said that I use an AR410 4 channel and use a Y lead for the separate aileron servos but it means I cannot experiment with flaps or have retracts etc.  The 6 channel is quite a lot dearer but worth it eventually.   If you buy many Rx then some could be 4 channel for simple models.