Surface finishing techniques

Ariel

I have printed a pilot's head and I was wondering what techniques everyone uses to prepare the surface for painting. It's not bad at the moment though the printer will stand a bit more tuning, but I can see the lines showing up once the primer hits it. I would like to get the surface as smooth as possible. 

It's printed in grey Creality Hyper PLA. First serious attempt other than a few rabbits for the grandchildren. They seem happy!

There is a video on the Easy composites website where they use coating resin but I'm not sure how well acrylic paint would stick.I guess it's going to require some testing. I'll run a few more rabbits off and see how they come out with various finishes.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I just kept hitting these PLA Mk117ish bombs I drew up with Halfords high build yellow primer and gently sanding back.  About 4 coats each.  Easy enough on simple shapes but would be a pain I imagine on a figure/head. 

Tamiya acrylic primer and Tamiya Acrylics after that.  When finished dust with a satin 2K clear coat (or matt or gloss as required).

Mike

PS the bomb racks were only given a single coat of primer.  Don’t sand too hard.  Maybe 280 grit wet and dry used wet

E48AB9B9-D3A6-466E-9997-6E1922889966.jpeg

EF409F3D-16B8-45A7-AE18-14BEF92DA14D.jpeg

F34569E2-33C7-4423-A9DD-A650501AC8BE.jpeg

Edited by MikeQ

Those look good! Festivities and travels over I should be back at the bench next week so I'll see what I can come up with. I think I can still get a better quality print once I get Klipper dialled in. There's a lot to learn before you start! All in all very pleased with the printer though.

• Like 1