Shropshire Model Flying Club Loses It's Field After 50 Years.

David Davis

According to the Shropshire Model Flying Club's Facebook Page the club will lose its field at Forton Aerodrome near Montford Bridge on 31st December after having flown from this site for more than fifty years. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1612183335718984/?hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen&multi_permalinks=3620925571511407

I was a regular member of the club from 1995 until 2015 when I retired to France. Several members have joined neighbouring clubs and the search is on for another flying field. Shame. I recall flying my brown and yellow Veron Cardinal off the field in 1960 when I was twelve years old and the last time I flew there was in August when I was in England helping my mate to build a garage. I gave my Big Guff an airing.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Any idea why ?.

I don't know for certain but I was told several years ago that the farmer wanted the field to build a house for his parents but whether that's the reason or not, I don't know.

I have many happy memories of flying there. Perhaps the best was that morning when my Flair Hooligan hit the top branches of a tree! More in hope than expectation I pushed the throttle stick forward and the engine, an Irvine 46, burst into life! I brought the model back to a safe landing on the patch trailing foliage from the undercarriage! Picture below. Offending tree in the background, foliage in my hand!

Hooligan and Radio Queen 1.JPG

• Like 1

Bad news.  We lost the field we'd been on since 1995 in 2015 (forthcoming housing development - they still haven't broken ground...). 

The landlord's agents didn't even know we were there (testament to our 'head down, nose clean' policy),but they helped us with introductions to new landowners and we've ended up on a better field - so there is hope!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mike T said:

Bad news.  We lost the field we'd been on since 1995 in 2015 (forthcoming housing development - they still haven't broken ground...). 

The landlord's agents didn't even know we were there (testament to our 'head down, nose clean' policy),but they helped us with introductions to new landowners and we've ended up on a better field - so there is hope!

Good luck Mike.