Banned IP addresses?

steve too

Advert

Summary 

It's not the IP address, it's something in the site software that happens when I change device that I am using to access this site. I can work around it.

Detail

The way that I access the Internet means that sites can see a different IP address from request to request. I know this because it causes problems with some sites (e.g. Santander) that log you out if they see an address change.

Sometimes I see a Banned message when accessing this site.

Some sites block addresses if they are seeing attacks from them.

Testing since I started this topic leads me to the conclude that the Banned business happens after I change from accessing this site on one device (A) to using another (B). Interestingly, it doesn't seem to happen on first request from B, but a subsequent one and doesn't seem to happen if I am not logged on on A.

• Like 1

I assume by proxy farm you are reffering to a proxy server better known as a VPN?

If you are then I would think it has more to do with cookie settings, I use a VPN all the time and have no such problems even with logging into Santander Barclays etc, the only website that can be a challenge is I Player which does actively ban VPN's when it can to attemot to prevent access from abroad aince they don't know who is really at the end. 

Two years ago I tried to sign into the Lottery site while in Jersey but it told me I was outside tjhe UK and wouldn't let me sign in. Ever since, every so often I get the same message without  doing anything different. I have to completely shut down the computer and then when I retry it is OK. Camelot says it is a BT internet problem not theirs. Not a problem as the lottery company is changing next month according to Tesco.

John

On 26/12/2023 at 10:30, steve too said:

Summary 

It's not the IP address, it's something in the site software that happens when I change device that I am using to access this site. I can work around it.

Detail

The way that I access the Internet means that sites can see a different IP address from request to request. I know this because it causes problems with some sites (e.g. Santander) that log you out if they see an address change.

Sometimes I see a Banned message when accessing this site.

Some sites block addresses if they are seeing attacks from them.

Testing since I started this topic leads me to the conclude that the Banned business happens after I change from accessing this site on one device (A) to using another (B). Interestingly, it doesn't seem to happen on first request from B, but a subsequent one and doesn't seem to happen if I am not logged on on A.

This may not be what you are referring to, but it seems banning via IP addresses is a bit of a lottery. Because someone using my IP address was banned on Reddit a while back, I get random bans on certain sub-Reddits. It isn't onerous enough to make me change my IP address, but it is annoying when an innocuous post is followed by a "Banned" banner blocking everything!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Arthur Harris said:

This may not be what you are referring to, but it seems banning via IP addresses is a bit of a lottery. Because someone using my IP address was banned on Reddit a while back, I get random bans on certain sub-Reddits.

I know that IP blocks/bans happen which is why I asked the question. In this case I am pretty sure that it is something in the site software that happens when I have recently been logged on on another device.

• 2 months later...
On 21/03/2024 at 11:15, Enmanbern said:

Hey Tim, sounds like you're navigating some tricky territory there! Getting banned IP addresses can be a headache, for sure. Have you looked into any proxy solutions to help with that?

I've stumbled upon some helpful tools and tips on pyproxy.com that might come in handy for managing your online presence.