Xfly Tasman Bush Trainer 1500mm Foamie

toto

Hi Rich,

the wiring is a bit tight. It does all come together to allow connection to the receiver but a little further back the fuselage for my liking. I think a couple of short extension cables would provide a bit more flexibility as to where to site the receiver.

the battery wires are ok I think. there is the potential to possibly move their positioning about a bit as the battery platform can be unscrewed for access to the ESC below but I've not fully investigated that yet. 

I still have the exercise on the C of G to do so that will determine whether or nor things need to move. Apparently the 1300mm version of the same model is a bit more of a problem for cabling in terms of room to be able to pack them in any kind of neat way. 

The Flap and Aileron cables could do with being longer as they come out of the wing as they are awkward to connect inside the fuselage. that is something I will probably change with the previously mentioned cable extensions. Apart from that, the model seems fine. 

I will post further images when I get around to fitting the extensions. Hope that helps.

toto

I've been using the Radient and Zeee batteries for a while as well as HRB. bought the Zeee's when the HRB where hard to get hold of, no problems.

Xfly Tasman inflatables are good, I use them on other models., latest version uses thicker material i'm told. Just use a mini pump (Amazon, ebay from about £5) need very little extra  as atmosphere is about 15lb or 1Bar. You could try Kavan inflatables. If you use Dubro it wont get off the ground.

Hi Frank,

I'm hoping to get the opportunity to get the Tasman maidened at some point soon so I'll get an opinion on the tyres and the batteries. I'll try out all 3 battery types but in all reality, I doubt there will be much noticeable difference or any great info that will be able to be taken from one or two flights with each battery type.

I'll pay attention to the remaining voltage etc remaining at the end of each flight as it is always a bit of an indicator.

I'll post up any results and comments as soon as the maiden has been done.

Toto

I've got the smaller version of the Tasman, the Glastar 1300mm. I usually build my own models but I wanted an all weather hack and the Glastar fitted the bill. It flies perfectly with no trim adjustments need on the maiden. There is no rats nest of wires but it doesn't have flaps so less wires.

The only changes I've made is replace the prop with a APCe 11x6 and swapped the silly big wheels with some normal foam wheels.

I use a 4s 3000mAh battery and fly 10 minutes on a pack .

Great model and I'm sure the bigger version will be just as good. Good luck with yours Toto.

Edited by Outrunner
Typo
  • Like 1

Thanks for that Outrunner. The reviews certainly talk it up but it's always best getting some independent versions.

Frank, I watched the review for the FMS P18 1300 on utube and as I mentioned, apart from the space for the wiring, it came out well. Maybe worth a watch. There is also the Maule as well. Something I had considered and again there are reviews on Utube.

I'm still crap at including links otherwise I would have but I'm sure they will be easy enough to find.

Let us know what you go for.

Toto 

Thanks Earlybird.

Just watched it again. Great video for a general flight review. The absence of the build is no big deal as the guy is pretty straight up when he discusses how easy it is to build. Basically a series of a few screws. Thr room for the cabling inside the fuselage is no deal breaker as they do fit, just a bit messy really. 

The 1800mm wingspan is no different in that there is more fuselage space but FMS have cheated on cable lengths a bit which without the addition of a couple of extensions end up with some of the cables being tight to fit ..... I'm talking like piano wires. Just a small thing really.

Toto 

The Tasman may see its maiden today ..... possibly.

It's going down to the field to be checked over for any required adjustments to its settings etc before ( weather permitting ) potentially taking to the air for the first time. 

I still have not set it up for tethering to the buddy box system yet but that should not take long. 

Looking forward to seeing how it flys. Unfortunately I dont have a camcorder ..... maybe something for further down the line.

Full report after the field visit.

Cheers for now

Toto

I thj k generally some foamies are not up to windy conditions but I believe the Tasman has sufficient weight to handle a bit.

Sounds like you are confirming that Ron.

Hi Grumpy,

The weather is looking a bit wild here right now. The wind is looming quite strong and there is rain in it as well. The flying field is about a 40 minute drive from my home in Edinburgh so it will be interesting to see what it's like when I get there as rain was meant to be a no no.

Could be working out of the club but today.

Toto

• 3 weeks later...

OK........

I have the hang of pairing transmitters .... ie my NX8 to my NX6 further purpose of creating a buddy box system. I've just today carried out that exercise on my FMS Super Cub and now it's time for the Tasman to go through the same process.

I've already bound the NX8 as per earlier in this thread with throttle cut and triple rates so its just a case of binding the two transmitters to each other. 

That will be done later today given that its 1.15am :classic_biggrin: ........ 8m having one of my insomnia moments. :classic_biggrin:

More on the binding later.

Cheers.

Toto

• 1 month later...
On 29/12/2023 at 22:31, michael cawood said:

the mystery part is used with an air compressor to blow up things like kids paddling pools and inflatables through a self sealing patch. It could be for the tyres. 

How do we open the white cap on the tyre to fit the needle to inflate the tyre. I don't want to twist it or pull it in case it breaks. Can you explain how to remove the white cap.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/04/2024 at 08:16, Stephen Gow said:

How do we open the white cap on the tyre to fit the needle to inflate the tyre. I don't want to twist it or pull it in case it breaks. Can you explain how to remove the white cap.

No white cap on mine the black rubber valve is on the inside face of the wheel and the inflator just pushes through the middle - BUT as others have said don't be tempted to over inflate

On 02/04/2024 at 08:16, Stephen Gow said:

Just pull it off, it's a tight fit.