Best second plane?

Arthur Harris

Advert

Another Wot4 recommendation . I moved on from a Riot to an ARTF Wot4 and it's definitely a step up. It's heavier and more slippery and less forgiving than a foam Riot. I've also flown a couple of acrowots and prefer the Wot4 as an every day acrobatic hack.

8 hours ago, Martin Dance 1 said:

I guess the keep flying what you have with some retuning of the CG throws etc is good. But you will still have a relatively light foam model. Similarly buying a foam wot 4 will leave you in the same place. For a second model I would suggest a model of similar dimension but greater mass. A wooden wot 4 for example. My reasoning is quite simple, adancing your skills as a pilot is about learning how to manage energy. I don't believe a foamy trainer does this adequately. Do you need an aerobatic model? no. you can roll, loop and fly inverted a Super 60, not prettily but it can be done. 

I nearly sold my Boomerang thinking it was holding me back from B manoeuvres, then a good pilot flew it demonstrating what the model was capable of.

I was the limitation not the model.

• Like 1

I was given some advice by a very experienced pilot which I think was very sound and has put me in good stead as I have steadily improved! 

So I picked up a BH Speed Air (Kings Lynn Models £199, I paid less but it was a few years ago) as it has a reasonable amount of mass, is fairly aerobatic (did everything for the B test). Flew well in more windy conditions and is easy to set up as electric.

After my B and many many hours flying (the red decals were a very light shade of pink) I converted to IC with a Laser 70 in it and again it was a joy to fly. Its demise was due to pilot error so I can't fault it at all.

PS, I have an Acrowot (with the Laser 70 in it) and yes its a better flyer in calmer conditions, but not as good when it gets blustery.

1 hour ago, PDB said:

I nearly sold my Boomerang thinking it was holding me back from B manoeuvres, then a good pilot flew it demonstrating what the model was capable of.

I was the limitation not the model.

Good point. I watched whilst a Riot was put through the F3A clubman schedule on an ITA event at Buckminster by one of the mentors. However in the context of the second plane question, I doubt many could do that if the Riot was their second plane 😉

On 31/12/2023 at 19:43, Eric Robson said:

Geoff You must have had them at armed forces price as I started in 1950 when I started work and they were 1 shilling and 6 pence for 10 and the best brands were under the counter.

Or on the top shelf 😉😉

I’ve got a Giant Stik, 160 4T methanol burner. Took care to keep everything light. Total hooligan.

pushed wrong button in my excitement.

It provides libido boosts, very useful in keeping wives from piles of projects.

Edited by Don Fry